HybridZ

Custom Driveshaft Source

preith

I thought I'd give everyone a heads up on a driveshaft I just purchased. I found a place in Texas who custom fabricated one basically identical to the MSA version, but 2†shorter in my case, and a bit cheaper at $425 total. They have a good list of Nissan models and other makes allowing for many trans/diff combinations.

http://www.thrashdriveshaft.com/import2.htm#NISSAN

1310_driveshaft.jpg

Cool link.

I thought I would add too another place you can have a driveshaft made:

powertrain industries

They sell after market pieces to driveshaft companies so they have about any yoke/flange available and can also make driveshafts to your dimensions. I had my l28/z32 driveshaft made by them, they made it and shipped it out in less then 24hours.

-Austin

Any idea how much weight aluminum saves vs steel?

The weights are actually the same, 10lbs, but IMO that is a bonus because you're essentially getting a driveshaft which is heavier duty without a weight penalty. Driveshaft Specialities fabricated and shipped this one within a few days of ordering as well.

My reason for buying this is I've had a hard time getting the stock ones to hold up on my road racer since day one. This includes Spicers but not the OEM ones, but as I understand they're not quite the same anymore. The geometry/angles are good. The other guys in my club with Z's haven't had issues, but none are putting down as much power either.

I should elaborate on my previous post. PSTDS was willing to make one for me, but they weren't aware of anyone producing a slip yoke for the Nissan trans, or perhaps didn't want to take the time to research it. For anyone willing to go the extra mile, the yoke on my driveshaft is stamped as a Spicer part, #MDI 5 C2-3-2189-5. I cannot read the diff end as the numbers are stamped facing the u-joint, but I do recall seeing the Spicer part # posted online at several different places, maybe JTR...

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I just had a custom drive shaft made for my 77 280Z turbo with 1982 Nissan 5-speed and here are the spicer part number that were used to put it together:

Front yoke C2-3-2189-5 (3103-24)

rear flange C-22459 (3102-39)

The numbers in () are from my sales receipt and the others are off of the parts themselves.

Driveshaft-1Large.jpg

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

The picture shows the old and new shafts.

Now my only issue is getting bolts to fit the new rearend flange, anyone have any ideas??

HB280ZT

Wenco in Cali made mine. It's steel with the 1310 joint in the back on the NEAPCO adapter to my R200. In the front all they could find was the Nissan T5 yoke with the little joint.

Do these T5's shafts have 1310 joints? One suggestion Wenco had was turning down I think a Chrysler 27 spline slip yoke OD to fit the Nissan spec seal. Anybody got u-joint size info on those shafts?