HybridZ

How many SBC v8 guys are using manual trannies?

I'm wanting to put, I guess a T5 from a Camaro v8 in my v8 swap. I don't want to do crazy amounts of hp, if I can get the engine to put out around 250-300hp I'd be happy, so I don't need a reinforced badass Viper T56 or nothing...just curious if you guys had any pros/cons to the T5, or could possibly reccommend something else.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had both T-5's and T56's in my '72, the former behind a 327, the latter a 350. I'd recommend either tranny, but the T-5 is a bit easier to install the the T56 because of its' compact size, its' straightforward bellhousing/clutch arrangement, as well as the excellent documentation in the JTR manual.

The great advantage of the manuals is, of course, their greater feeling of control over the vehicle, as well as their moderately greater economy. Sports cars, after all, have a stick. However, with the beast that is a Hybrid Z, all those gears aren't really necessary to get into the "peak power" range - you're in it all the time. And, to tell you the truth, one's left leg can get a bit tired pumping that pedal up and down in stop-and-go traffic. Should I attempt another V8Z swap, I think I'd seriously consider an automatic.

T-56 here. 6th gear with 3.54's at 80 mph 2400 rpms 16mpg. It does weigh a bit more than the T5 and larger but that 6th gear is awesome for long road trips. To me an auto kills the true essence of a GT car. I don't like how some of them downshift in corners without warning. I know this is HybridZ, and it's just my personal preference opinion so please don't flame me.

...I don't want to do crazy amounts of hp, if I can get the engine to put out around 250-300hp I'd be happy, so I don't need a reinforced badass Viper T56 or nothing...just curious if you guys had any pros/cons to the T5, or could possibly reccommend something else.

I'm at about 250hp/300tq. I'm very pleased with the WCT5. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. It shifts smoothly and accurately and the gears are well spaced with a 3.70 rearend. And with the .63 5th gear I get 21mph highway.

I did an LT1/T56 swap for a friend. The LT1 is a great motor and, IMHO, the best swap into an S30. But, also IMHO, the T56 is more tranny than you need in the light Z. Combine the broad torque curve of a sbc V8 and the light weight of the S30 and I just got lost in all the gears. And the T56 is subtantially heavier tha the T5. But if you're going over 350hp and are banging gears the T56 will take it.

Other than aftermarket/race trannies with a much higher buy-in there are no other choices for an o.d. manual tranny.

I'm running an LT1/WCT5 combination and really like it. As Dan Juday said the T5 with a mild SBC is a great combination that provides just about perfect gearing. There are times I wish I still had the 3.36 rear gears as the engine revs so quick it's ready to shift before I am but the gear spacing puts the engine right back into the power band.

I dynoed the car and it's putting down 274 hp and 307 ft/lbs which is probably pushing the limits of the T5 but it's been reliable so far.

I auto-x it and no drag racing so it really doesn't see hard launches but I don't baby it be any means.

Wheelman

I have used a 700r with a 3000 stall and a T5 in the same car with the same engine.

I wasn't impressed with the 700r. Never seemed to shift when I thought it should even with govern calibration. Plus an automatic Z with a high stall converter didn't feel right to me. I finally had enough when the neck of the torque converter broke off in the transmission.

so, I installed a t5 and loved it. Those transmissions can handle a lot more power than you think. As long as the power is delivered without a shock (clutch drops or speed shifts) they will hold. WC or Non-WC doesn't matter, as long as it is a V8 transmission it will be OK.

It has held up fine to my 450hp, 7000 rpm, 11:1 cr, 350, with a 3.90 gear. Even ran a 200hp shot of n20 with drag slicks at the track (650hp). Just don't power shift it. I shift it like a school bus, looks funny going down the track, looks like a dophin jumping in the waves. However, i can't say the same things about the stock diff and axles.

Go T5 with a 3.90 gear. You will love it. On the street it takes off easily in 2nd gear and can skip 3rd gear and go directly to 4th. Almost like an automatic.

FYI, clutch drops with street tires is ok. My car does it best burn outs in 2nd gear with radials. But avoid full thottle in 5th gear with n20 (don't ask, any one what to buy a 4 spd?)

Guest Gr8White
Those transmissions can handle a lot more power than you think. As long as the power is delivered without a shock (clutch drops or speed shifts) they will hold. WC or Non-WC doesn't matter, as long as it is a V8 transmission it will be OK.

Exactly. IMHO the T-5 is a great transmission, it's simply not a racing transmission. I think it has undeserved bad rap with the 5.0 (Stang) guys, but you take things into your own hands powershifting a 300 ft/lb. transmission with a car that's making 300 lb/ft. of torque!! 3rd gear seems to be the weak link. I blew several T-5's in my Stang but you can't blame the tranny- both times hitting 3rd (and missing once) on a powershift @ 5500 rpm, racing on the street like a real dumba$$ (before the new laws, but ignorant just the same).

The T-5 is the smoothest shifting manual I have ever shifted. Put any good aftermarket shifter on it (I like the pro-5.0) and it will be smooth as glass. They'll require a rebuild over time just like anything else, but if you don't abuse it, it won't break. I couldn't tell a difference in my W/C vs. the factory 5 speed- as long as it's fresh it will be fine. If you get a used one, spend the $169 on a good rebuild kit and don't look back. They are a much better transmission than people give them credit for. A viper spec T-56 will break if abused enough. The key to life in these T-5s (at least in my experience) is no powershifting, at least not on the 2-3 shift!!

Anybody else have a problem with 3rd gear?

On the highway running 70 mph in 5th I rev ~2300-2400 rpm.

3.54 rearend gears

Not sure of mileage but better than my 5.0 Mustang.

Gr8White,

I think the deal the 2-3 shift is the aluminum fork breaks if you try to hurry the shift. I know the 2-3 shift is where I really have to be diliberate and take my time otherwise it binds. Might be I have some worn synchroz but none of the other shifts feel that way.

BTW: Do these T5s have synchroz on reverse? Mine grinds everytime I try to go into reverse unless I double or triple clutch, and yes I only shift into reverse when the car is completely stopped.

Wheelman

I have been gathering information on the WC T5 for a while now because I got myself one for my 305 engine (in a 260Z). And as far as I know only the T56 has a synchronized reverse. If you have trouble putting it your T5 in reverse try depressing the clutch and putting it in a forward gear and then putting it in reverse. Putting it in a forward gear wil stop the internals from turning. I do this on my nissan 5 speed too. I always go into reverse via fifth gear.

Guest Gr8White
If you have trouble putting it your T5 in reverse try depressing the clutch and putting it in a forward gear and then putting it in reverse. Putting it in a forward gear wil stop the internals from turning. I do this on my nissan 5 speed too. I always go into reverse via fifth gear.

I figured that out early on as well, and just did it as a habit after I had my car a few months. I always went to 1st and then reverse, dunno why, it just seemed going from the opposite extremes always got it into reverse the easiest....

I'm wanting to put, I guess a T5 from a Camaro v8 in my v8 swap. I don't want to do crazy amounts of hp, if I can get the engine to put out around 250-300hp I'd be happy, so I don't need a reinforced badass Viper T56 or nothing...just curious if you guys had any pros/cons to the T5, or could possibly reccommend something else.

i had about that much power in my old engine with a Supra 5 speed box behind it. it was heaps of fun but i wouldn't recommend it with anything above 300hp. the box can take it but the drive begins to be a fight around the 400hp mark.

the only problem i had was snapping half shafts on a frequent basis. installed cv's and problem gone.