HybridZ

240 rod oil squirters

MONZTER

Hey Braap,

Makes sense about the cooling, so why would anybody want to close them off at any level? I know they talk about it in the "how to modify book" Is it because of the extra windage? or maybe the high RPM loss of oil in the rod bearings? Hmmm

Thanks Jeff

I asked the question one time about the orifice size on the Z32TT engine, as well as the original VG30's with turbos...they had dedicated oil squirters for the piston crowns, and I wanted to investigate this for the L on a...er..."High Specific Output" Turbocharged L-Engine that would be operated at boost for long periods. Like 5 minutes to 10 minutes at WOT at a stretch. I figure at that kind of loading, all the cooling I could get to the piston crowns to remove heat will be helpful.

Some of the stuff those rod squirter holes do is lubricate the piston pin as well...the rod isn't gun-drilled for forced lube up there, so the squirter and piston crown drainback is all that lubes a full-floater!

• 2 years later...
Hey Braap,

Makes sense about the cooling, so why would anybody want to close them off at any level? I know they talk about it in the "how to modify book" Is it because of the extra windage? or maybe the high RPM loss of oil in the rod bearings? Hmmm

Thanks Jeff

In that book and another one I have it says they take them off because "the piston receives a substantial amount of oil without the squirters", whatever thats suppose to mean since we can clearly see every application is different. Now, I don't think they meant plug the hole when they said that though. What I mean by take them off is grind off that hump. I did that on my rods and the hole still kind of points upward but without the hump. So I guess it may be spraying to the bottom of the pistons, or it may just splatter, but I wouldn't plug them because:

-like Tony said, full floating wrist pins, keep'em lubed

-helps cooling to a certain extent and with crazy motors every little bit helps (you know that already)

-and like 1 Fast Z said, only sprays on the right side so I doubt it would "equally lube"

Heres my finished product, you can see it still kind of points towards the piston:

2eeyp2t.jpg

wv6g40.jpg

And here is a stock U20 rod for a comparison:

mbiihx.jpg

11gqcqt.jpg

I also want to note, since I know all of us here are very particular about our motors, except myself really... :-| But shouldn't we look into whether oil is spraying all the time through there or does it spray in pulses? Point being, after seeing that U20 rod again, that hole has to line up with the galley in the journal of the crank for it to spray, right, like a pulse? And our cranks are cross drilled... right? That means it would squirt twice every 360º. So, are those oil galley holes at the very top and very bottom of the journal? If not, that means the rod is at an angle, therefore the oil squirt would not hit the bottom of the piston, but rather like... somewhere else because the squirt hole faces upwards (or close enough).

If the squirter isn't even pointing towards the piston when its spraying, all this effort may be stupendously useless! :ass:

Now are these "squirters" only on the L24 rod and not on the L28 rod? What kind of temp reduction would the piston see with these vs with out?

Let me check to see if I have any L28 pictures when I tore mine down...

This is the only one I found of L28 rods I had:

slicli.jpg

You're looking for this:

2czzzoz.jpg

So no it appears they don't have it... If someone were to switch to some nice forged whatever-beam rods I wonder if they would even have the hole at all...