HybridZ

energy suspensions poly bushings dont fit!!!

Guest needwaymorespeed

Guest needwaymorespeed

I have my front contol arms all cleaned and prepped for the new bushings-I go too put them in and they dont fit! the o.d. of the poly bushings are too large too fit inside the old bushing shell thats in my control arms. Too large by an 1/8th inch. I suspect that the bushings are the wrong ones -the box was shipped opened and crushed-so I order another set from a diferent vendor just got them today,there the same exact ones.

What to do??? am I missing something simple -thes new bushings dont come with the outer shell.

Who makes bushings that fit??

the part # on the box is 7.3106G ITS ENERGY SUSPENSION THE BUSHINGS HAVE A 3060 AND A 3061 ON THEM.

Any help appreciated thanks guys.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

How were the old bushings removed? Sounds like you may have left the outer shell of the old bushing in the control arm. I have had to cut that shell with a hack saw to remove it on several control arms. Can you post a pic or a link to a pic of the control arm? Good luck.

Yes, you have to remove the metal shell that the old bushings were in. Use a hacksaw or a sawzall or what have you to cut it. Easiest way to do it is to make two cuts about 1/4" apart and use a standard screwdriver to pry them out. You do this on all the old bushing spots, but DO NOT remove them from the mustache bar.

!M!

Guest Anonymous

The front control arm bushings that I recieved from MSA were in three parts. 2 polyurethane bushings and one metal tube for the control arm bolt to pass thru. The bushing half with the bigger lip faces the rear of the car. I found them to be excellant replacements and easy to install after I spent housrs removing the old bushings and pleading with the ^**&^%%$ rings to let go and come out.

I have been around cars all my life and the Energy Suspension bushings were about the most frustrating thing I have ever done. Same problem. I ended up screwing up the ones for the rear lower control arms so I put new stock ones back in with no problem. Every thing else is from the kit. I made two calls to the R and D guys at Energy Suspension. They swear they will fit. I ended up chucking the front ones in a drill with a bolt and turning them down a little at time until I got a good tight fit. Angle the edges, then grease them up real good. I finally got them in with a big vise and a couple of extra hands. Good luck.

Your scarin me man! I should be getting my bushings soon and I'm not getting the Warm & Fuzzy on the install.

If these things are so hard to get in and sleeves have to be removed maybe they have to be pressed in. Anyone tried?

CT

Guest Anonymous

My MSA poly 2 part bushings halves were black and the bolt sleeve was gold colered and went in without the slightest problem. Removing the old bushing and ring was labor intensive and without a press required a hacksaw blade placed inside the diameter to cut a slice in the ring. One ring required two slices to persuade it to come out

I've ordered energy suspension bushings for several applications and found them to not quite fit nearly every time on many different vehicles. I don't know why I keep going back to them. I often end up "machining" the bushings on my sander. It works, but what a pain. I hear than the MSA bushings work just fine.

I USED SOCKETS AND A PRESS ON THE FRONT ONES. AND FOR THE REAR I USED A HACKSAW TO CUT THEM THEN AN AIR HAMMER TO POUND THEM OUT, WISH I COULD OF USED A PRESS ON THE REARS BUT I COULD NOT GET IT TO WORK. THEN I SAND BLASTED THEM AND PAINTED THEM WITH POR-15.

BUT YES IT IS A PAIN TO GET THEM OUT.

Guest needwaymorespeed

Thanks guys-I was under the impression that you left the old outer bushing shells in place on the lower control arms-THE INASTRUCTIOINS WITH THE BUSHINGS SAT TO LEAVE THE SHELLS IN THE ARM- My bushing are in 3 pieces 2 urentahane bushings and a small ineer shell for the bolt to pass through -It sounds like to make these work ill have to remove the outer shell in the arm-the ring-It doesant seem right since the instructions say not to do this and that would put all the loads from the bushing transfering to the small outside edges of the control arm instead of through the whole outer shell.

Is this what you guys gave done or am i misunderstanding youre posts?

There are two different ways the bushings are done. If your new ones have metal shells, the old ones have to come out. If the new ones are just urethane (like the mustache bushings come) then you have to burn the old ones out and reuse the shell. When I put them in my Camaro in '85 they only came without the shells. Was a first class pain in the rear. If you do have to do it this way, lube the hell out of the bushinng then press/pound it in WITHOUT the bolt sleeve. Then you can hammer the bolt sleeve in last, this will save you a big headache and maybe a vise handle (long story, but they don't like a big cheater.)

Guest needwaymorespeed

These dont have the outer shells ,reading back through the posts it sounds like some guys have installed these without any outershells in the control arms my set has 6 pieces total 2 bushings and a inner sleeve per arm

. theres no way these bushings will press in to the existing outer shell.

Curtis