HybridZ

Project unnatural aspiration Part 2

stony

and oh yea get the converter restalled, ITS WAY OFF!!!!!

....or, hit it with a 100-shot while on the the t-brake and keep the tight converter for less slippage. Pick up a used NOS setup and MSD Window Switch and wire it up with the t-brake so the NOS only works when on the t-brake and within the window switch range.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow Clint, that thing is a beast!!!

I bet it feels good to finally get back in the driver's seat at the track (wonder what that feels like as it has been a year for me now as well).

I second the NOS. It will only take a second to get the turbo spooled with a small shot, even with the 300 stall. I was only getting around 3000 RPM's on the footbrake until I tickled it with a little spray, and it just came alive!

Mike

I don't agree with the NOS even though it may work in this case it is just a crutch for improper converter design. Proper converter design is paramount to consistent performace. Most performance converter companies will re-stall for free anyway. The price of a removal and installation to get it right is less than the purchase, installation and maintenace of a NOS system IMO.

If the car isn't street driven much, then a high stall converter would work, but you end up with much more slip. If your car sees highway miles, then the constant slip of a high stall converter creates a lot of heat as well. I don't know if I would call it a crutch...perhaps just an alternate method. I guess in you case, highway miles probably aren't going to happen much. ;)

As far as expense, well, why stop now :lmao:

Great Work! Sounds great going down the track.

Its funny hearing the RB go by with that huge hood scoop. Must confuse a lot of people expecting a V8 rumble.

The nitrous really is a cool way to go because you'll end up with a more efficient converter on the big end!

Justin

Doc,

it's a little different in the small displacement/large turbo/BIG HP world. The small displacement/low compression just does not have the exhaust energy at "lower" RPMs/boost and would need a ridiculous stall, then end up with double-digit, maybe even close to 20% slip on the big-end.

While Z-Gad's car is a good example, here is an even better one that matches what Stony's car should do. 2JZ, Glide, big cam and turbo, 2800 stall!!!! and he tickles it with a 75-shot and up to the shift.

Well going to install a fuel system dampener to see if that helps with the pressure loss. if it doesn't going to downsize the 2 lines going to the rail. I suspect that the one -8 splitting into 2 -8 may too much for the pump to handle at hi RPMs.

if that fixes it a 75 shot is going on and will be at the track labor day weekend

What fuel pump and base pressure are you running? I don't see how the split in the lines could be dropping fuel pressure for you. Once that volume is filled up it should remain filled and pressurized as long as the fuel pump is keeping up with the amount of fuel being consumed at high rpms.

Justin

The fuel pressure is set at 45 PSI. It ramps up to 60 PSI under boost then once i get in the higher rpms under boost it trails back off to 40PSI.

the injector duty is 100%+ in spots and I'm running 1000cc injectors using 104 unleaded race gas (sunoco) . the injectors should be more then enough for this application. the cycle is getting maxed because of the pressure drop.

here is my list of things to do one at a time to see what fixes it.

install fuel system dampener and see if that helps.

cut one line out of the split and supply fuel rail with one -8 line.

OR reduce the split to -6 lines to the rail. (both of these options will flow enough fuel to support my power

last is to replace fuel pump with something bigger.

the current fuel pump in it is rated to handle 800hp easily so not sure what is going on here but we will fix it.

My voltage issue was resolved by bypassing the switch box. the fuel pump is wired directly to the battery. and voltage is maintained at 13+ thru the entire run.

Well it's official 175 shot is going on as i type this. Going to start at 75 shot only on the brake to see if it launches and holds booste. it only goes up from there ;>

maybe take it out 100 feet later on teh 175 shot that just sounds fun :>