HybridZ

Project unnatural aspiration Part 2

stony

Latest pics.... all that is left is the throttle cable, clamp down all the loose plumbing and wiring the engine. Hope to have some video of it running by mid jan.

breather/catch can

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02743.jpg

Made a bracket so i could use the stock injector harness case. I think it cleans up the engine SOOOO much versus loose wires.

DSC02744.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made a bracket so i could use the stock injector harness case. I think it cleans up the engine SOOOO much versus loose wires.

Funny you bring that up.... I just purchased one of those off ebay (since I had already sold mine) so I could do the same thing you just did...

Your right, it makes the motor look so much cleaner....

BTW, I see where you marked on the plenum for vacuum sources, I'd not put them up on the top like you have marked.... might as well make it look nice. I'd put them facing the water tank, or even underneath on the bottom. I've seen plenum's where the plumb in for a vacuum source up top side and it looks like pooh to me... (just my opinion)

What did you mount it to? Are you going to use a CAS this time around?

Things sure are looking good Stony... bet you can't wait, huh?? :burnout:

What did you mount it to?

I cut up the old vacuum balance tube to make the mounts. I was only able to use the middle mount but it works fine.

Are you going to use a CAS this time around?

Yea the Vpro needs it.

Things sure are looking good Stony... bet you can't wait, huh??

Damn skippy. It's gonna be hard not to touch it over the Zmas holidays BUT its a different story for new years :>

Oh shoot just remembered i still have to change the timeing belt ( been sitting too long) .... cool i have something to do tomorro :>

• 2 months later...

well the front clip is mounted minus the hood fasteners and some extra bracing.

Hood off.

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02907.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

Hood on.

DSC02910.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

DSC02912.jpg

Hopefully with any luck we will have it on the dyno this weekend and have some numbers. Still have to wire up the gages and some other minor stuff but all in all the big stuff is done

First I apologize for no video but here are the results of last nights initial dyno tuning.

First the SSA 60mm WG worked fine and held 22 PSI with no problem. The cheapo eBay intercooler kept the IAT @ less the 85F and the TIAL knockoff didn’t leak a bit.

First run the spring that came in the waste gate out of the box held 14.8 PSI. And the motor made 450rwhp I tightened the adjustment screw and got it to hold 22 PSI as stated above. Once it was tightened down and a few runs later the motor made 600rwhp At 22 PSI, rev limited at 7800!!! Bad news is it looks like its lifting the head. I’m going to go back in and check the torque. It has Jun head bolts and this shouldn’t be happening but then again this is still the initial break-in period and motor has sat for 2+ years since it last ran. Worst case I have a HG to change. The motor was not running hot and other then leaking some antifreeze and pressurizing the radiator it ran great.

More to come…

Awesome results for being your first shake down tune. Is there any chance of the boost pressure getting into our "head coolant mod" hardware, allowing it into the cooling system?

I know it shouldn't, but if the boost pressure gets past one of the sets of manifold gaskets, there ya go....

Just something to check. I highly doubt the head is lifting at those numbers. Tomei and ARP head studs are pretty good...

Try a re torque and hopefully that will fix her up. :)

It's a pretty slim chance on the head coolant mod causing it. Only thing i could see is if it were drilled wrong and breached the intake runner.

My issue is either the HG got corroded and is now bad from sitting so long or the head bolts just need a retorque. time will tell.

I can actually see where the water is exiting under the head. If the cylinders are number 1 from the front and 6 in the back its exiting around the 4 and 5 cylinder.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the motor stripped down to the long block last night. I have to pick up a pulley puller today so I can get that ATI damper off. Then the cams and head... tonight should have a good idea what is causing my leak :>

Thanks goes out to ANDY for hooking me up with a cometic HG thing looks pretty good.

Hope to have everything back together and back to the dyno soon for some more tuning.

Once we get it close I can concentrate on all the safety crap that has to be updated to run at the track.

Well I got everything off…. And the good news is there is no real damage. The head gasket looked like ass though. Missing material here and there look like it may have been reused several times. Anyways here are some pics of the disassembled head and block.

DSC02996.jpg

DSC02995.jpg

DSC02994.jpg

DSC02997.jpg

DSC02992.jpg

DSC02993.jpg

Hope to have everything ready to go back together Sunday night before I go back to work.

Well after further review…. It was the HG you can see in the pics the missing material. That was exactly were it was leaking from between the head and block.

DSC03001.jpg

DSC03002.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

The Cometic looks a lot better and is visibly thicker even though the old one was supposed to be a 1.2 mm also

DSC02999.jpg

Water jacket passages are over twice the size of the old one to so it should flow more water thru the head.

DSC03000.jpg