HybridZ

Chassis stiffening question

alexideways

• 2 weeks later...
There is one point no one has brought up yet about seem welding. And that is if you bend the car it's much easier to pull it back into shape when welded. I think that's why you see it done more often than the stiffness increase.

Cary

But isn't that directly related to the fact that the added stiffness will allow your car to refrain from turning into a pretzel if it hits a small tree?

unless i'm missing another quality that welds provide in the case of an equal-damage accident...?

But isn't that directly related to the fact that the added stiffness will allow your car to refrain from turning into a pretzel if it hits a small tree?

unless i'm missing another quality that welds provide in the case of an equal-damage accident...?

Yeah all of it comes from the same nature. You turn your car from a chassis made of lots of tack welded and loosely connected individual pieces into an essentially single piece of metal. More like what a unibody really should be.

That aside, stitch or seam welding isn't going to make a major difference if you "wrap it" around the tree. The thickness of the metal and it's metallurgical condition is important, too.

A year ago I hit a 2.5' diameter tree dead on at 60 mph in a 2005 Honda Civic (no I wasn't drunk or being stupid, etc.). Airbags went off; seatbelt was on. I still hit my head and one hand on the windshield and my knees went through the dash on both sides of the steering wheel. My seat even started to rip out of the floorpans. Spare tire ripped it's 10mm mounting bolt out of the trunk floor and blew the trunk lid open; landed 30 feet from the car, etc. Not all is well in the way cars are engineered anymore. Five star crash testing is all they shoot for anymore. It was meant to be a form of standards; not the end all, be all of car safety.

Want to know what I think? I have an 8 point cage in my Datsun and I plan to redo the whole thing and go 10 point. For my 'street' car.

Want to know what I think? I have an 8 point cage in my Datsun and I plan to redo the whole thing and go 10 point. For my 'street' car.

That'll be great if you wear a helmet every time you drive the car. If not it might be safer to do without it. This cage in street cars issue has been discussed quite a few times now though, and this is a side track. You're welcome to search out some old threads if you like, but let's keep this one on track with the stich welding.