HybridZ

Had fun with a 'tard on the freeway...

capt_furious

...let me preface this by saying my carbs are poorly tuned and I've got a rod knock. Looking for a new motor but I'm on a tight budget. Tracked down another L28 and 5 speed for $350, haven't moved on it yet.

Was heading for the freeway entrance, had a Chevy Tahoe behind me, he gets close, swerves into the left lane, guns it around me, dives in front of me.

Go you. You're so cool, you gained a carlength! And look, now you're jamming on the brakes because someone else is in front of you! I wanna be just. like. you.

Typical wannabe hard SUV with a loud stereo, huge chrome wheels, loud exhaust, 'no, you can't see me officer' window tint.

I get in the left lane, still behind him. I figure, let's have some fun with this idiot. Casually pass him on the left as we're getting on the (two lane) onramp.

Soon as I get past him, he whips in behind me. Took the bait. Bravo.

He's right on my tail. Check over my shoulder, lanes are clear. Downshift to 2nd, hit it. He's still after me, but falling back just a bit. I get in the far left lane and mercifully the lanes are mostly empty.

I kept crawling away from him up through 4th gear, and at the top of 4th had put a good 10 carlengths on him. I really didn't think I'd win, but I thought I'd try. When I finally hit 5th, it was all over, and I saw his front end drop a bit when he gave up.

My exit was just a mile down, and as I'm pulling off, he moves over to the lane next to me and guns it as he passes, swerves back into the far left lane.

Oh, man, you showed me!

All that with a stock L28 with badly tuned carbs and a rod knock! HAH! If he'd known that he REALLY would have been embarrassed!

I drive a big SUV, and I try not to be an ass in it, but I do admit that I make it fly once in a while. I have chromed tail lights and I slightly louder but not overpowering exhaust...

I get a lot of ricers(civics, old eclipses) and plenty of V6 mustangs who try to do the same thing your SUV"buddy" tried...

The good old fashion Blast past"look at me, I'm cool" then when they actually get in the race I pull away pretty decently. And ofcourse the beloved ricer flyby... The race was over a couple minutes ago... but "Oh yeah buddy, now that you hit the brakes I kicked your ass"

Ricers are all different races and drive every type of car, but they all share the same idiotic tendancies.

Nobody in a hurry to get somewhere rides your ass, cuts around you, and then jumps into what little space is front of you with an open lane to their left.

...and then when you casually pass them in said open lane jumps on your ass again, and when you gun it to get away, comes after you.

He was being a tool and a showoff and got shot down by a slow car. Sucks to be him.

Sorry to rain on your parade but, if you need to exhibit that sort of speed on a public road, don't..........take it to a sanctioned track! Two wrongs don't make a right!!! You just never know how friggin weird some people will get when intimidated while driving!

I drive a big SUV, and I try not to be an ass in it, but I do admit that I make it fly once in a while.

I understand there are big vehicles that can be fast, after all- I drive a 2000 F250 with a Powerstroke and several mods that make it a freeway beast. BUT, your average Tahoe isn't exactly a speed machine.

Personally, I really enjoy when Triplestacktiefighterwing Boy wants to cut me off on a lane merge. I let them downshift, then I mat it. It's especially nice when they are on the right ...just like my tailpipe.

Out shopping for parts for my Z, I saw an amusing window sticker on another shopper's truck.

"I see stupid people" and then in slightly smaller letters, it continued, "I drive on I-5"

This might be slightly lost to those who don't commute in the Seattle/Tacoma area, but I suspect the highways in any metro area are close enough to get the general impression!