HybridZ

Using an early 240Z rear bumper on a '77 280Z

deja

I have searched and I can't find anything useful about using a 240Z rear bumper on a 280Z. I contacted Motorparts about their 240 fiberglass rear bumper http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA01/50-1751. They said it would not fit a 280Z because the car does not have the indents the 240Z has and the bumper would require major modification. Has anyone been able to use a 240Z rear bumper on a 280Z? The stock bumper and mounting hardware have all been removed. I know I would need to make mounting brackets, thats not a problem.

Doesn't 280zforce have them on his 280z?

I think all you would have to do is fit the side (either by grinding them down) or cut it in half and extend it until it fits.

Considering the fit of a Type 3 airdam I just helped a friend install, it wouldn't surprise my if you have to do this anyways on a 240z...

Mario

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=5190&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=11947

I put them on my late 260 which is the same as an early 280. Other rhan making brackets for rear and drilling a hole in side of rear quarter to hold up the sides it fit OK.

Cool, looks great. Thanks. I wonder why Motorsports said it wouldn't fit.

Doesn't 280zforce have them on his 280z?

I think all you would have to do is fit the side (either by grinding them down) or cut it in half and extend it until it fits.

Considering the fit of a Type 3 airdam I just helped a friend install, it wouldn't surprise my if you have to do this anyways on a 240z...

Mario

Thats pretty much what Motorsport said, I would have to extend it. But I wonder if they were talking about the 240Z stock location rather than having it tucked in tight. Steel bumper would be nice but in reality I doubt any bumper on our cars is really going to do much for protection.

Hey, I was in Tucson a couple weeks ago, I should have looked you up.

I have a 77z with 240z Euro bumpers. I made the mounts myself and could take pictures if you'd like.

How close is the rear bumper to the sides of the fenders? DOH! Never mind I just looked at you picts. Pict #7 tells me it will work for sure. Thanks.

I have the fiberglass MSA bumpers on my 78. I had to make brackets for the front & rear. Since there is no protective value I was not concerned with overly strong brackets. The side mount on the right side was a bit of a challenge on the rear.

I have a Showcar fiberglass bumper on the front (don't get me started on Showcar's crap,never again) so using a fiberglass one on the rear just seems logical. Good to hear it will fit with minor difficulty.

he's talking about the front bumper...but,

Then why does the heading of the thread say: "Using an early 240Z rear bumper on a '77 280Z"

i'm sorry to inform you that datsun spirit makes brackets for the rear bumper to fit the 280z, all that work for nothing

Funny, this is Eiji's (owner of Datsun Spirit) blue '78 280Z that he went as far and added the indents from a 240Z's rear quarters welded them in to make it look more authentic. If you know Eiji like I do the brackets are the quick way and this is going ALL out.

he's talking about the front bumper...but, i'm sorry to inform you that datsun spirit makes brackets for the rear bumper to fit the 280z, all that work for nothing

No, I meant rear bumper. I checked out the spirit brackets. $80 is a lot for 2 small pieces of steel but might be worth it rather than attempting to fabricate something.