HybridZ

Curious...Which Income Bracket Do You Guys Fall In?

slownrusty

Curious...Which Income Bracket Do You Guys Fall In?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Curious...Which Income Bracket Do You Guys Fall In?

• $0-$30K
    • $30K-$50K
    • $50K-$75K
    • $75K-$100K
    • $100K-$150K
    • >$150K

75-100K, but I'm very house poor!

Haha, sounds like me, but I'm house rich and have a lot of kids. Income has grown to fill the needs, but I still never have quite enough to just drop thousands 'needed' on the Z car. Someday.

Davy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do good, but the more I make, the less I seem to have!

Its funny though, with all the students and fresh grads who can't wait to spend it on their cars, when I graduated college and went into the military, my plan was to stay single, live in the Barracks and buy a new Z31, pay it off, then trade it on a MID-4, if it ever came out, then get a ferrari.

Its funny how life has other plans!

Guest Crispy Chicken
$0-unemployed auto mechanic -too many illegal aliens around here i n the foreclosure capitol of the usa.i wont fix cars for $12 an hour.

Most normal shops and dealerships wont hire people without a SS#.. Unless your trying to get a job at "jacks chicken shack & auto repair" or something...

I was fresh out of the local college, and working for the gov't making $14K per year and 160 mile roundtrip commute. Every year I'd strategize and say "next year I want to make $XYZXZ.QQ amount. Finally when I left and became a contractor/consultant I decided to start shooting for six figures by the time I was 40... I'd set a very high amount (Was making $53K at the age of 30) and by the time I was 37 I'd met that goal...

Now days I shoot for "what we're gonna bring in "this month".

The goal is to stay motivated, stay focused, and determined. Above all else, go to where the work is. Find work you enjoy doing, and give it your all. As to comments about the illegal aliens, let's keep on track and away from politics... They're a reality, so deal with it.

Last bit of advice I'll give...

DO NOT work for someone else all your life if you want to eventually own that beautiful home or exotic supercar. You'll never make more than your boss, so keep that in mind when you set your goals and expectations.

Mike

Guest da-man (is not!)

as someone who has been where mikelly is, I can attest to the solid premise he suggests. It works.

BUT: then I decided I hated what I was doing. I had to grow up REAL quick (I'm only 37 now) and realized that I was placing WAAAAY too much of my own personal value on how much money I made.

O, I fooled myself into thinking I was doing it for my family..... But I rarely saw them. I was the worst Boss I could have ever had. I never allowed myself any time off.

Long story short: Last year I quit what I was doing, (where I was making $150k-ish) and took 8 weeks off to play with my family. Then I went out and found something new. I'm making 1/3rd of that number now..... but my wife loves me... my kids at least know who I am. We take vacations, and I still manage to find a little time (and a little money) to work on my toys in the garage.

In short: Advice from an "Old Guy".... Don't get too caught up in how much money ya wanna make. Don't get to thinking that if you ain't "makin' the big bucks" then you ain't as "GOOD" as somebody else.... piss on that. DO what you enjoy.... and enjoy it. If everything you do is just a stepping-stone to some goal off in the distance, you'll miss a lot of life. Just like I did.

just my $.02 therapy.

:wc:

Guest Crispy Chicken
I

DO NOT work for someone else all your life if you want to eventually own that beautiful home or exotic supercar. You'll never make more than your boss, so keep that in mind when you set your goals and expectations.

Mike

Sometimes that is right. At the same time there are a lot of people that make millions and millions of dollars working for someone else. While the "boss" is making even more millions.

Sometimes that is right. At the same time there are a lot of people that make millions and millions of dollars working for someone else. While the "boss" is making even more millions.

true but extreamly rare. i worked and still do for other people. i have designed luxury homes homes for years. quite a job for a contractor to work for my engineer. it is what i always wanted to do (be an engineer) but they kept giving me side work to do. so much side work that i could not do it all my self. 4 emploees later it is still doing well. while i liked makeing all of that money, i spent a ton of it for baby sitters and resturants because i did not have time to cook. work from 8am to 1-2am. not fun and did not see the kids.

like da-man said, it is not the amount of money that matters. i have slowed the buisness down so that i do not have to pay for baby sitters and eat out all of the time and the money at the end of the month is about the same. i can help with the kids home work and watch tv and work on the car and the yard and........ that is worth more than anything. ive always heard it but i had to live it to understand it.

owning your own buisness is rewarding but long hours await you in the first few years.

jimbo

Every situation is different.

I made a decision a while ago not to let the company drive and consume my life. I have a business partner and we both love to play and enjoy life. So, we made the decision to move the office OUT of our houses, and to hire our assistant some help. We've also made the decision to start grooming our day-to-day replacements... Sara and Justin are both young 20 something professionals who are extremely squared away. I'm paying $10K annually for each of them to get their masters degrees. At the end, when they graduate, they're committed to five years working for me. As the company grows, I'll make sure to have others on the same program.

I gotta believe we're doing something right, because I've done more track weekends this year (So far 5 and I have another at the end of this month) and have taken more trips and vacations this year than ever before. We took $12K and turned it into a $2.5M gross business in two years (October 15th is our 2nd anniversary!). We also provide some of the best benefits in our industry!

Surround yourself with smart people. Empower them and trust them. Reward (minor) failures and big success, and do NOT micromanage. If your company grinds to a hault when you're not there, you're doing something wrong. It should be able to run if you're in the office next door, or at Watkins Glen doing a track weekend.

Mike

Guest da-man (is not!)

Mike

often true, but nowhere near always. Especially if you're a salesman, in almost ANY industry.

I've owned my own business, and I've worked for plenty of others, and there are obviously benefits to both..... and draw-backs as well. I'd be pretty hesitant to draw a line and say "Never work for somebody else", or "Never start your own business".... or even "you'll never get x if you do y". What works for some, may not for others.

If everyone tried to do it the same way.... it'd quit working! :-D