HybridZ

I really can't stand mechanics working on the Z

savageskaterkid

From a past thread where I trying to get my oil pump spindle to seat, I finally gave in, and brought the car to a shop. I told them to get the thing running. A few weeks later they called me and said that they didn't want to work on a project car, as they didn't have time. So I asked if they could just install the oil pump. A few days after they said they couldn't get it to work, there was a collar or spacer that was keeping the spindle from fully seating on the crankshaft. The owner had told me that my fuel pump blockoff plate was missing, which I installed myself, and knew that it was present when the car was dropped off. After he said that, I told him that I think somebody had messed with my car. He denied that there was a chance it could have been messed with, as it had been inside most of the time when it was at the shop. This is a lie, as I made it a point of my day every night after school or work to drive past the shop and see that the Z is still there, which it was-everyday, outside the shop. He told me to pay right then, I said I wanted to see if anything was broken or missing. I said I'd check out the damage, and I would pay tomorrow. He said I had to pay NOW. Told him good luck getting money from me if I didn't have any on me, and that I would be paid the next day, and bring his money.

That night I filed a police report for some damage I had seen. The hood wasn't bolted down, and the only thing keeping it secure was the hood latch. The genious' at the shop thought it was a front lift hood like any other car. The back of the hood made contact with the cowl and buckled the hood slightly and scratched up both the cowl and hood. Turns out that my blockoff plate wasn't missing at all, it was right there on the front of the head. Although the owner had said that he stuck his finger in the hole, and felt the camshaft, turns out that he was talking about the water inlet on the side of the block. Kinda funny, seeing as how the L28 is an OHC motor, and the cam only sits about 6-8 inches above the water inlet, so good luck feeling the cam. Specially if my cam is water cooled, there may be a big problem. Ignorance.

The next day I went to the shop, on my lunch break, and asked to look at the car with a technician, or the owner. I told the lady at the counter, that I wanted to look at it with the owner, or a tech before I went any further. I said I would be back around 5:00, which they'd still be open at that time.

A few minuts later, the lady had left me a message saying that she was under the impression that I was going to pay my bill when I came there at lunch. I called back to re-explain that I wanted to see the car with somebody before I went any further with the transaction. The boss imediately picked up the phone while I was talking to her, and he had said that I needed to come down there and pay the bill and have my car out of there ASAP. Pretty funny as the paperwork I signed said I had 3 buissness days from the day the work was complete to pick it up, if not a storage charge would be added to my bill-I had about 2 days from the work being incomplete, before he threatened to tow the vehicle. I had to explain to him again that I wanted to walk the car with him and show the damage that was done. He denied anything wrong with it, and said I needed to stop acting like a kid and grow up. He thought it would be great to criticize my work, and talk to me very profanely. I had told him about the police report. "Your just blowing smoke up my A$$" and that I was just trying to set him off, if a police report was filed, the cops would have been here first thing this morning talking to him. He then said that the car would be towed, and the cops called to have a warrent to get his money. I showed up there within a few minuts with the police. And it took forever to finally have the guy look at the car. When he saw the damage, he said it had always been like that.

Now I am told that I can never go back to this shop again, as I was trying to stiff them out of some work. Now the Z's hood is permanitly popped, and I had to remove the latch just to get the hood to open. It will not shut at all.

Do any of you guys think that that pictures I have of the Z on the trailer, with the hood completely closed could be submitted as a good form of evidence. The g/f had fun taking pictures of the Z that day, and had every angle shot, including one of the Z on the trailer, with the hood shut-and best yet THE SERIAL NUMBER FOR THE TRAILER, WHICH JUST SO HAPPENS TO MATCH MY RECIEPT FOR THE TRAILER FOR RENTING IT THAT DAY ONLY. And the fact that the day I picked it up is the same day I dropped it off at the shop, along with a signed document on THAT DATE to work on the car.

I can't stand shops working on the Z anymore. Does any body have any ideas, or tips. I already called the BBB and plan to take them to court, to repair the damage that was caused. If they had just done that in the first place, this would all be avoided.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humm prank call the shop and fish for the info. Something like the is the blah blah I need to get the address for your attorney so I can send blah blah.

Then tell him you name is Mr Jack Mehoff and laugh and hang up.

Humm prank call the shop and fish for the info. Something like the is the blah blah I need to get the address for your attorney so I can send blah blah.

Then tell him you name is Mr Jack Mehoff and laugh and hang up.

Yeah I was trying to think of ways to do it without drawing more attention to his final goal and pissing them off more.

hmmm, not too sure if the prank will work, as I'm pretty sure the guy is bipolar. He seemed like a great guy till he got mad-it only took about 2 seconds to switch from jolly to evil. I wonder if there is any cases that were against them. When I called the BBB, it said that there was no complaints within there 2-3 year history of being open.

Savage I live in Hampton and I know its a drive but we have one hell of a z car shop here. It is called Tidewater Z.

Here there page http://www.tidewaterz.com/

I will keep them in mind, the biggest problem with working on the Z myself was lack of space, but since this ordeal, I've been forced to bring the Z home, which isn't a bad thing really. My parents finally agreed to let me bring it home, so here it stays till I can fix it.

I just went through a similar ordeal. They were not working on my car as promised. Didn't have any damage though.

After about a month, the mechanic pulled my aside and apologized for the delay. He said that he did not know why they kept bumping my car for other jobs. They usually make good money on jobs when the customer already has all the parts needed in the back seat.

He also told me that the way things are looking, it would be another two months before they would get to my car. Funny, no one was going to tell me that when I called every day to see it they started on the car. The mechanic offered his personal cell pone and told me to call him if I needed any advice. I took the car home and in about 10 hours, I swapped the injectors and got the car to start for the first time. Can’t bash the mechanic but he works for a bunch of idiots. They wont be in business for very long doing that to people.

Sounds like my experiences with 3 in Houston, including a member here.

The last mechanic (member here) tore the top of my motor, lost all of the f"nking bolts and then gave it back to me, saying he didn't have the time.

I would have sued his ass, but he doesn't have anything.

• 2 weeks later...
This vehicle arrived six weeks ago, there was no appointment set and the keys were left in the drop box. The motor on the vehicle had been "rebuilt" incorrectly and there were parts that were in a box in the backseat, the customer wanted the engine put back together correctly. The company told the customer they were not able to do this but would take a look at what was wrong and charge for only one hour of labor. The hood that the customer is claiming was damaged was not even hinged to the vehicle, the company had to lift it off, this damage could have occurred when the engine was originally taken out or in the towing process but is not their responsibility. At this time the customer has the vehicle and has paid the $80 labor fee. Nothing else will be done by the company on this and the customer has been asked not to return to the shop.

In all honesty when it arrived at the shop, I didn't say to put the motor back together correctly. I said install the oil pump, dizzy, and wiring harness, and fuel lines and get it started. I did not ask them to put the motor back together correctly. He said that we rebuilt it incorrectly, and I wonder how he can tell that by looking at the outside, looks arn't everything.

At this point we have exhausted all of our steps to help you in resolving your complaint. While we understand that you are not satisfied with the company's reply' date=' it appears that Hahn Ventures Inc. has addressed the disputed issues. Accordingly, your complaint has been "Administratively Closed." This means the company has provided a specific, credible response to the issues you brought forward. We have closed our file on this complaint. If you wish to pursue the matter further, you may wish to seek legal advice.

Thank you for contacting the Better Business Bureau. We hope you will allow us to be of service to you in the future.

Sincerely,

Nicole Ryan

The Better Business Bureau [/quote']

I tell them of the pictures and reciepts and everything, and they say that they don't want to go any further?!?!? He gets off without even a mark on his record, why is it so easy to get off on such a thing WITH PROOF. I really hate this system. Looks like I'm gonna be heading down to the courthouse tomorrow to find out the next step. Anyone with any legal advice?