HybridZ

Cutting and gutting doors...

JMortensen

I've got a set of doors I'm going to cut and gut. I'm basically thinking of cutting where the blue line is on the picture. I'll then remove all of the innards except the handle and the latch and the one link from the handle to the latch. Never done this before. Does this look right to you?

doorgut.jpg

As said above, leave the hole at the lower rear of the door for the pivot. I'll cut mine similar to how you have drawn and mount the door handle inside the door on the part that is paralllel to the ground.

Hope that makes sense.

I'd post a pic but unfortunately the car is on jack stands with the driver's door too close to the wall at the moment (passenger side has an aluminum panel). I cut mine pretty much the same as you have taped, but 1/2" up from the corner on the latch side and bottom. For an inside door handle I welded a plumbing valve handle to the arm which the linside linkage nomally attaches to and also eliminated the locking portion of the latch completely. The handle has enough of an offset to clear the door and is surprisingly easy to use when seated, reaching across the chest to open with the opposite arm. It works so good I wish I would have shaved the outside handles too. :)

It's not the easiest to remove the door bars. The latch side spot welds can be drilled out, but for the front I ended up torching the visible part of the bar out and carefully cutting the remainder (closest to the door skin) with a cut-off wheel. The outside skin was unaffected with no warpage, etc. I beleive the door weighs about 7 pounds (without the window frame, etc). I also got carried away with the hinges and removed a bunch of material from them too.

I went out and looked at the pivot bolt that some of you guys mentioned. I had kinda figured on reaching outside and opening the door with the outside handle. Do I still need the pivot bolt if I'm opening the door this way? I can't tell because the one I'm working on is almost completely gutted, and I'd have to take apart a complete door to figure it out...

You can mount the interior door handle to the bottom lip of the door anywhere you like. It is a simple pushrod/bellcrank system. You cn relocate the handle ANYWHERE! You could even redesign the interior door handle and make it a pull cable(like a train E-stop wire).

I went out and looked at the pivot bolt that some of you guys mentioned. I had kinda figured on reaching outside and opening the door with the outside handle. Do I still need the pivot bolt if I'm opening the door this way? I can't tell because the one I'm working on is almost completely gutted, and I'd have to take apart a complete door to figure it out...

no. the inside handle and the outside handle connect to the latch seperatly. so you wouldnt need the pivot bolt if you dont want to use the inside latch handle. at least on my 77!