HybridZ

Steel synchros in a 240Z 5 speed

dimsum

My car has been at the shop for about 6 weeks now while the mechanic is trying to fix my transmission. He rebuilt the tranny about 8 months ago while I was replacing the engine, but when I installed the engine and tranny, I was grinding into all the lower gears. Now, it's back at the mechanic, and he's doing "warranty" work on the previous job.

It's a 5-speed transmission, and the mechanic says that it has steel synchros. He doesn't know where to find replacement synchros, which is why he's had the car for so long.

I did a search on this forum, and a lot of people say that the steel synchros are the same as old Porsche 911 transmission synchros. Before I send my mechanic down this path, does anybody know where I/he can order replacement synchros? I prefer not to pay high dealer prices if I can avoid it.

Also, can anybody shed some more light about the steel synchros vs. brass ones?

Thanks.

Dont remember where I got mine but it was a place that specializes in Datsun Roadsters. They seem to use the 'comp' tranny a lot and was the only place I could find replacement parts ... and be prepared as they are not cheap! I'm sure a google search could find them.

Cameron

My mechanic said that he wasn't able to locate these synchros at the nearest Nissan dealership. I can only assume it was Steven's Creek Nissan in San Jose. I suppose he could have been looking for the wrong parts or something.

If there is anybody out there who works at a Nissan dealership and can supply the steel synchros from a comp tranny, I would REALLY appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks.

Cameron, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. And you were right, they are not cheap. I actually found this web site when I did a search, but was hoping that there are Nissan dealerships around that might still have the parts. I just figured it would be easier for my mechanic. I'll show him this web site, though. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

My mechanic doesn't want to try the parts from www.datsunroadster.com because there is no guarantee they will work. He can't find any dealership that sells the steel rings. Right now, he's trying to convince me to buy another transmission and trade mine in as a core. The cost for that would be $650 for the rebuilt transmission.

Are the steel synchro trannys worth any more? Is $650 for a rebuilt 5-speed transmission a good deal?

$650 for a GOOD rebuild (including replacement of all bad gears, reverse included) is a fair price. A late model 5 speed (82-83) would be a nice swap. I build all of these 5 speeds myself for selling. The box you have is probably either a 5 speed roadster, 5-speed european, or comp model. Does it have a slip yoke or flange at the output? Is it a type A or type B shifter? It is a great box when rebuilt. Those syncros are expensive. I'd contact datsunparts to see if they would consider a return should the syncros not match up properly.

I used to have one of those transmissions. Actually I had just the guts from two comp or roadster or whatever you want to call them transmissions. I think they were a dealer option. Anyway I gave them to a friend and he swapped the gears from the flanged output trans onto the mainshaft from the other one which had a slip yoke, then he put the guts in a later ZX housing. He did this because he wanted to put it in a 510 and didn't want to have to modify the driveshaft. The trans is still working fine to this day. I want to say the original shifter was a "b" type, because the ZX housing is a "b" type and everything fit and it functions correctly.

Those 5 speed steel syncro boxes were used in the early 240Z's, obviously not the US ones. From memory they have closer ratios than the later boxes but are not particularly strong, for one thing the gears are narrower.

Nothing great about them, later ones are better.