HybridZ

recaro's are IN! pics

janaka

Well with a little fab work and a whole lot of luck I was able to get both recaro's into the Z this weekend. the drivers side was a PITA due to a drivetunnel bulge that wasn't on the passanger side, but all in all I can drive the car and the seat adjusts enough that amanda can get comfortable in the driverside no problems. The passanger side was a piece of cake, first try bolt right in with my 'adapters' which was a good start before i found out about the tunnel issues..lol

needless to say here are the pics, and yes they will be recovered to match the car. we are thinking black leather to replace the grey and red micro-suede inserts :D

There are no issues with them touching the door panels, nor the handbrake on the passanger side and the head rests are JUST inside of the roll bar when reclined far enough.

2545113_37_full.jpg

2545113_38_full.jpg

2545113_39_full.jpg

2545113_40_full.jpg

It would be nice to know what those come out of..... :hs:

i got them from a friend who bought them for his cutlass...(i know i spelt that wrong)

they are super comky compared to the stock seats, had an hour drive last night and they are great. i love the lateral support through the kidney section :D

It would be nice to know what those come out of..... :hs:

They look like the seats from the 80's VW's and the Bimmers. The ones in the pics look to have been reupholstered. At least the center sections.

I have a set like them in my garage. I have not decided which of my cars they will go it. I bought them for the Z but I just got new Recaros for the 240Z so they may go into one of my 510's or I may decide to sell them.

They look like the seats from the 80's VW's and the Bimmers. The ones in the pics look to have been reupholstered. At least the center sections.

I have a set like them in my garage. I have not decided which of my cars they will go it. I bought them for the Z but I just got new Recaros for the 240Z so they may go into one of my 510's or I may decide to sell them.

I bought a set from a VW Scirroao to use in my 280Z. After some major mods to the frames to get the Datsun sliders to work I discovered they were too tall. I couldn't get under the steering wheel. Bummer, they are really nice seats.

recaro-seat.jpg

What did you do to deal with that bulge in the trans tunnel? I'm about to go through the same process with my Recaros.

a little hammering (which IMO was useless as the metal didnt move much even with some good pounding) and in the end the seat isn't 100% straight on to the front of the car... it sits angled a few degrees to the left, it also doesn't sit as close to the center console as the passanger seat. It sits about 3/4"-1" at most closer to the door than the passanger, but from looking at it no one can tell that its not as close as the other, nor that its angled slightly. it would take IMO a VERY discerning eye to notice it. due to the offset left and the angle is why it will not slide quiet as far back due to the one hinge interfering with the tunnel. I'm sure that I could have hammered it for long enough and gotten a TAD more clearnace but i felt guilty for beating the car and since I can sit comfortably in my driving position, and my wife sits closer (which it does move forward enough for her) I didn't bother.

I see my options as basically 1. come up with spacers to move the mounting bracket up and out of the way of the bulge (that's going the wrong way), or 2. cut the bulge out and replace it with a shape more like the 240z.

I need the seats to be at stock height or lower, so I'm thinking that #2 is the only viable option.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to make my own brackets cause I bought a Corbeau seat bracket to mount my Buddy Club bucket into my 280Z. I'm ony 5'5" and with the bracket and then a set of sliders. My head was just an inch or two from the roof. So just used the side mount backets and mounted them straight to the floor mounts. Yeah my seat isn't adjustable but it was the only way I could get it low enough so the steering wheel wouldn't be rubbing against my legs or I wasn't hitting my head on the roof.

• 1 year later...

These pictures may, or may not help, they are shot while the Recaros are installed in the car. It was hard to get a good shot. These are modified 510 seat rails. They are flat and do not raise the seats from the stock height and allow for the fore/aft adjustment to work. However the knob for micro tilt of the seat back does hit the transmission tunnel when it is moved back beyond were I use them, and I am 5 ft.8 in. tall. They would most likly work fine up to 5 ft. 10 in. tall, after that you would need to break out the hammer. The seats provide amazing comfort and support. I am now offically spoiled and I do not care to sit in anything else.

18554_thumb.attach

IMG_0965_thumb.jpg