HybridZ

mismatched Vin Number

Careless

Hi gents.

the vin number on my z (registered in Quebec, then Ontario) starts with an HL530 on the ownership, but the numbers are obviously an HLS30xxxxxx

is this going to be a problem? i registered it, and brought it up at the ministry at the time of transfer, and she said i have to talk to the "dealership" about it.

RIIIIIIIIIIGHT. its a friggen 76.

what should I do?

the first owner died and the car sat for roughly 16 years or so... perhaps even more. When the car gets inspected for safety upon it's maiden voyage, it has to be towed to the ministry inspection station, where they will notice the vin indifference.

I'm concerned. :(

• Administrators

Reminds of the time I ended up in 'cuffs because my dash VIN didn't match my registration. Fortunately, the firewall did. Not the most pleasant experience, but funny now, thinking about it.

well that's what I want to avoid, ron.

imagine putting all that money and blood, sweat, tears into fixing her up, and then they take her away :(

280ZForce,

I know it's just a type, very obvious. but the ministry rep said "we can't change that, we don't do that stuff, go to the dealership" and the people in quebec's ministry office said they don't do it either, and that's where the typo was made.

I know this is gonna be a long road again. Getting the ownership took me exactly 365 days to find and recover possession of.

Reminds of the time I ended up in 'cuffs because my dash VIN didn't match my registration. Fortunately, the firewall did. Not the most pleasant experience, but funny now, thinking about it.

I assume you didn't swap the vin plate on the dash, when you swapped the dash.

As long as the vin doesn't come up stolen then they are not going to take the car from you. And since Nissan never made a car with a 5 in that spot it is not likely to turn up as a stolen VIN.

The people who are knowledgable enough to actual spot the discrepancy are also the people who can fix it. Take it to the "ministry inspection station" and get it taken care of.

As long as the vin doesn't come up stolen then they are not going to take the car from you. And since Nissan never made a car with a 5 in that spot it is not likely to turn up as a stolen VIN.

The people who are knowledgable enough to actual spot the discrepancy are also the people who can fix it. Take it to the "ministry inspection station" and get it taken care of.

I forgot to mention that the other problem is that it can't be brought anywhere because it's unfit for road.

♥♥♥♥ ,this is gonna be a lot of work ahead of me, i just know it.

UGHHHHHHHH, time to start a paper trail.

is there any reason you cant put it on a trailer?

That's last resort.

Because I know that if I move it from where it is, something else is going to go where it is now, and it will be stuck outside for the winter, just getting more rust on it, which isn't cool.

I'll call them on monday to see what I have to do. =(

Actually here in Ontario, if your car hasn't been registered in one year you have to have it towed to the garage for inspection. Let's say that I have driven it without plates before.

You shouldn't have a problem registering it. Just bring your paperwork at the register office and they will do it for you. Bring your serial number plate, you will have a proof !!

Dayz

Actually here in Ontario, if your car hasn't been registered in one year you have to have it towed to the garage for inspection. Let's say that I have driven it without plates before.

You shouldn't have a problem registering it. Just bring your paperwork at the register office and they will do it for you. Bring your serial number plate, you will have a proof !!

Dayz

I know that, but I think there is a misunderstanding here.

My car is a bare shell, and i have the ownership and everything. I don't want to do the body work to find out that the car is deemed as stolen, or not in my possession. It then becomes the possession of the police or what have you, if infact, I don't carry a vin number that matches the ownership.

The problem with "bringing it to the ministry" is that it's not a rolling chassis. The problem with the registry office is that they told me that they can't change the vin number from what was input into the system. I hope that bringing in the vin plate will have them believe me. but I have a feeling that our system isn't so loose. which isn't a bad thing, I don't mind extra security if it's going to be there when I'm not looking.

But for things like this, it becomes an issue. It's a good thing I work near the last registered owner, and we both work near an MTO office :D

Anyways, thanks for all the replies, gents. I'm going to call the ministry ASAP to figure out wtf i'm going to do with this thing. I like the car, because it possess a lot of work, which I want to do in order to learn some new things. Granted the chassis itself is not worth much, but I want to use this car.

I'll report back incase someone is in a similar dilemma later.

Seems pretty stupid that they cant change what was put into the system if its wrong. Its obviously a mistake. Id chew them out for hours till they were sick of me and changed that damn vin.

my sole intention ;)

what I like to do is often tell them that I've talked to one of them before, who then transfered me to a fictitious person, who transfered me to someone else, who transfered me back to them.

that usually gets me the equivalent of 2 full hours of complaint calls. HAHAHA