HybridZ

Before and after dyno results

jgkurz

I took the day off work and went to the dyno this morning to see how much difference my recent upgrades made. The first graph from June 2006 is with an internal wastegate and a 2.5" downpipe. The second graph from today is with a 3" downpipe and external wastegate. Both graphs are SAE corrected. I'm guessing this is the fairest comparison since uncorrected shows higher numbers. I'm happy with the results but still need to do some AFR tuning at the top end.

6/30/06

6_30_06dynorun.jpg

11/9/07

11_9_07dynorun.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying that the only changes that have been done it to increase the downpipe size to go with an external wastegate? I am having a hard time believing that such a small upgrade would give 80hp increase, without any other mods or tuning changes.

Confusing that you switched colours between graphs. :) Dave

I updated both graphs to show the HP in red and TQ in blue. That should be easier to compare. Also, there are two runs on the last graph.

So you are saying that the only changes that have been done it to increase the downpipe size to go with an external wastegate? I am having a hard time believing that such a small upgrade would give 80hp increase, without any other mods or tuning changes.

The HP increase was from less back pressure and the ability to keep the boost consistent throughout the RPM range. With the smaller DP the boost would come up then fall as the RPM (backpressure) went up. Now it just stays flat.

How much boost are you running? That sounds like a healthy car for the road. I would think 11's would be very obtainable with the power you are making. Good luck!

It should run in the 11's :mrgreen:

After looking at the logs and data, boost was at 25psi give or take. Unfortunately my gauge only goes up to 20psi. On my final dyno run I turned my EBC off and made 326HP at 13psi.

If I had a GT35R turbo I bet I could make the same power levels at a much lower psi, but that's another project. Manifold air temps peaked at 49C/120.2F under max boost and with the engine heat soaked from several pulls. Ambient temp was read at 67F by the DynoJet.

BTW, can anyone explain the difference between SAE and uncorrected as it relates to dynamometer HP?

Post up the uncorrected chart! I want to see what it actually made today w/ this cool weather we've been having.

I hear that! I know my VG30ET powered 510 had really good power for the 3-4 months when the average temp here in Oregon is in the 40s, nice cool air and a frosty intercooler! Traction impaired, for sure. I typically saw at least a 5% difference in SAE numbers vs real numbers on a cooler day.

I've always been about "everyday" HP numbers on cars. I mean, let's say I see a car pull out of a gas station and stop at a light and I want to race. It's at that point when I like to know what kind of power that guy has on pump gas. Of course, maybe most of those turbo guys run race fuel all the time, so they have max power on tap all the time. I don't think all do, but..... Am I the only one that thinks that way? ;)

good post-i am getting ready to dyno my z -has 1500 miles on new 2960 stroker motor.my turbo has a stock turbine side that has been remachined for stage 5 wheel and waste gate hole has been ported.compressor is 60-1.has stock internal waste gate.have to swap exhaust manifolds because of a leak.have spare ready to go-ported and machined.thinking about getting a new garrett gt ball bearing turbo-and redo down pipe to 3".