HybridZ

Break In Oil To Use? Shell Rotella T

slownrusty

Gang - With all the Zinc free oils out there, I am hearing that the best oil to use for break-in especially to "save" the camshaft is Shell's Rotella T...but which one do you guys recommend? As there are quite a few different blends (not including the Synthetic blends):

1) 15W40 Multigrade Heavy Duty -triple Protection triple_protection_newbottle.jpg

-or-

2) 15W40 Multigrade Heavy Duty romg-15w40-1gal-z9.jpg

-or-

3) Straight Rotella T SAE 30 Singlegrade (story don't have a pic)

I am also considering buying this from Crane:

Its their Super lube break-in:

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=15&action=partSpec&partNumber=99003-1

Any other thoughts?

Thanks & Regards - Yasin

Gang - With all the Zinc free oils out there, I am hearing that the best oil to use for break-in especially to "save" the camshaft is Shell's Rotella T...but which one do you guys recommend? As there are quite a few different blends (not including the Synthetic blends):

1) 15W40 Multigrade Heavy Duty -triple Protection triple_protection_newbottle.jpg

-or-

2) 15W40 Multigrade Heavy Duty romg-15w40-1gal-z9.jpg

-or-

3) Straight Rotella T SAE 30 Singlegrade (story don't have a pic)

I am also considering buying this from Crane:

Its their Super lube break-in:

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=15&action=partSpec&partNumber=99003-1

Any other thoughts?

Thanks & Regards - Yasin

Isn't the Rotella a diesel oil? I have a friend that owns a diesel tow truck and that is all he will use in it.

Here's how it was explained to me by a 30 year toyota master tech...

Basically over the years, they've been taking certain additives out of regular motor oil, but they have not removed it from diesel Oils, like Rotella T. He suggested running diesel oil to break in an old motor, then switching to regullar Oil close to 3000 miles.

-Having purchased Rotella for my truck for the last 4 years, I'm pretty sure #1 & 2 are the same, just new and old style jugs.

I've been running the 15w40 in my 3.1 for 6 months or so with no ill effects. I had hoped it would quiet my tappets some, but no dice.

Use the second bottle... the newer version (top bottle) of Rotella has reduce zinc levels... I think it's labelled CJ4, you want the CI-4 or older - you might find the straight 30 wt has at CH rating, which would be even better.

Here's an excellent web article on oils btw... FWIW, they like the Castrol 10w30 high milage oil as it's got higher levels of additives even though it's rated for the newer SM oil ratings...

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html#Z4