HybridZ

New Daily Driver!

speeder

DSCN0487.JPG

DSCN0485.JPG

2JZ-GTE, HKS 264 cams, Ball bearing T-72, Os Giken twin disc Clutch, 6-speed,Turbo Supra Rear, Coilovers, HRE Wheels. Lots more good stuff. Comes with a 614 hp dyno sheet and that was before the big turbo went on!

What a hoot this thing is! It needs tuning and other odds and ends, but nothing major.

That is TOO awesome man!!!.. I remembered when you said you were looking at this beastie....What management are you using on her? I bet she feels like a rocket. Welp. I cannot be the ONLY one with out a 2JZ..hehehehehe..even though its the VVTNA version, SOO I have a new daily as well.. LOL..a much more humble version of the IS 300.. she is all stock but a very nice car indeed. We picked it up on Saturday.. Rick.. you GOTTA get some video of that thing man!!!

here is a pick of her still out in the parking lot. I will get new pics and post em soon.

1540070274.jpg

I'm very impressed with the IS300 platform, although mine is very much modified...Tight,precise,quiet (except for that obnoxious ricer Borla race muffler that gets changed out this week for a Magnaflow), lots of useful electric stuff. Handles like a go-cart. I'm still finding nice parts that the previous owner spent big $ on. I probably bought the thing for $.25 on the dollar for what it cost to build, one of those deals that just falls into some lucky dude's lap.

It's got a TEC3 EMS.

Big difference from the 280Z that I daily drove for 30 years.

Gabe, that red one looks pretty nice. I'm sure it's not too long before it starts getting modded also.

WOW!!

Looks like 2JZGE valve covers though... Does it have a GTE bottom end and GE head?

Exactly Mike - The guy I bought it from said that people (I assume the Lexus/IS300 community) are making big power with this combo - The GE heads don't seem to be too much of a downgrade...

Yeah, I'm proud to be one of the local 2JZ guys...Talk about being in notorious company!

Do not be afraid to run that thing hard.

Well, I ran it hard today just playing around and broke a driveshaft u-joint.

They did look pretty wimpy to me and in serious need of an upgrade, he says in hindsight. The car had a funny noise when downshifting and a small vibration that I should have investigated before getting too far from the shop.

I don't know what kind of drag racer this car will be - it has a ridiculously light flywheel for a turbo car - But I will get a new driveshaft and go give 'er hell. Won't be tomorrow, however.

Guest Crispy Chicken

Great daily driver!!! I have 2 friends down here with the same thing.. One of them has a gt35r running around 420rwhp with a getrag 6 speed. That thing is a BLAST!! The is300 is your 4 door supra!! Great car have fun!!

Those cars are really sweet, I used to drive them on occasion at my old work, don't really like the automatic shift thing. I always wanted to get a GS300 which also has a 2J, man that thing sure would be a sleeper. Also in my friends MKIV the gas pedal is crazy close to the brake, I'm assuming it's for heel toe ? is yours the same way ?

I have a GS300 in the shop right now that's had an engine fire and is getting a Haltech EMS installed on its Turbo- converted 2JZ. It's the same setup as mine, 2JZ-GTE bottom end with GE head. Looks like a good-sized turbo on it - It's a huge, heavy car - probably needs a stout motor just to get out of its own way. I'll report when it's done and tuned. I'll also be doing a 5-speed stick shift conversion from auto on this one.

My IS's brake and gas pedals are not well suited for heel and toe - I might adjust the pedal pads to improve this. The Clutch and flywheel combo on this car requires some footwork skill.

Nice Snag Rick!

Does it have any heatshielding to prevent the battery, etc from being cooked? It looks awful close there.

Was it a case of the PO spending on the big stuff and not working out the details?

PM me if you are thinking of getting rid of the 280, I may be interested for a 2JZ swap of my own. I have been looking around for a nice 280 chassis.

Cheers

Doug

Doug,

The car's PO was not very technically knowledgeable and had some inept "tuners" working on it. It came having some problems, none of which I consider major but their combination overwhelmed the PO. It didn't run when I first got it - Someone had damaged a sensor wire installing that cool intake. I had it running in 30 minutes. There are also some very questionable mods done to it that I am having to correct/reverse.

The battery actually is a decent distance away from the turbo, but I do plan on getting a turbine heat shield for it.

I found a link to the shop that built it - http://www.bigmotorsports.com/projectcars/is300.htm - Looks as if the original work was pretty good (except for using the stock driveshaft:biggrin:).

nbe,

The GS is a customer car. My IS has the Getrag Supra 6-speed already.