HybridZ

AWD Skyline job?

Hey all,

Had been planning a Corvette lump, Borg Warner T56 bla bla conversion for my 240 but while at work I thought why not do a Skyline conversion.

I know sod all so please excuse my ignorance but how feasible and how good would a older skyline awd/4wd running gear conversion, prolly skyline box and the R34 GTR lump be?

I guess someone has probably done it. I'm a bit worried about the front wheel drive bit, i.e. I expect driveshafts would have to be shortened and what angle would they be at?? Maybe too steep.

Cheers

Russ

It would be A LOT of work. I do remember this topic coming up before and one person said they were going to do it. Maybe do a search threw some of the forums here to find the old threads.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted if you decide to do this. Also, remember the old mythical warning, "Be wary entering yon labyrinth - for here be Dragons!"

Have heard of someone using the entire Skline floorpan with running gear grafted onto a non 4WD Nissan. An enormous amount of work and cost, obviously. I'd guess that your starting point for such a job would be to compare the track and wheelbase of a Skyline with the recipient car.

it can be done .... you might as well go get your engineering masters cause your gonna need it ;>. there was a pic of a drag 240z awd with like 800+ HP floating around maybe someone could bring it back. to use the front drive train the motor gets mounted so far forward the radiator has to be mounted on the fwd side of the core support. and if an intercooler is used teh front bumper cannot be used ;>

That far forward! Eeek

Ok for a start I don't want it too far forwards, it's gotta go round corners too smile.gif Trouble is I have no Skyline to go measure.

Theres no way I could reverse mount the engine or something to bring the front drive further back? Argh gearboxes. Hmmm

Maybe I should look to a different car for the AWD, Audi TT anyone?

Lots to consider, btw the Z I will start from will be bare shell so any amount of work is no trouble and I'm not in a hurry so.

Lets talk it out and throw ideas about anyway just for the sake of it, tis an interesting thing isn't it?

I see what you mean by that intercooler! smile.gif

I'm looking to keep the Z fairly standard looking so it'll need a front bumper (although it can be modified).

Looks like it may not be entirely possible...

Cool article tho thanks :D

SSS Automotive in i think sydney or melbourne, have made one they are 75% complete and are selling it for $20,000 AUS.... they might be goosd foir some info!

Simon

I was the one looking seriously into transplanting the AWD setup from a R-33 skyline.

Don't even bother.

First, it is possible to physically transfer the AWD setup and graft the suspension. A compentent fabrication shop can make that happen.

However, the Skyline has what is called the ATTESSA system to control the clutches to send power to the front wheels,(it does not work like a typical 4wd setup, for the front recieves no power until the rears start slipping, then the ATTESSA system starts to engage the clutches,(3 or 4), to start sending power to the front wheels, up to an even 50-50 split).

There are several ATTESSA sensors throughout the Skyline GT-R, and it also takes info from the stock computer. So it is not an easy fix, and the sensors are located in various parts of the car, and are calibrated for that location,(refering to G-sensors, etc..). Plus the wheel sensors.

The next stop in the job is that the manuals are only written in Japanese. So you will have a heck of a time deciphering the electrical schematics to determine which wire goes where, assuming you could get all the sensors mounted properly.

Now there is a second options, but it is very expensive, and is only for drag racing. HKS or one of the Japanese companies sells a kit that allows you to pump a lever,(like a hand brake), to manually engage the clutches. That is what the 240 in the magazine article has. Notice the big silver handle? You also need to eliminate the 4 wheel steering, or HICAS in the rear,(fairly straight forward).

Bottom line? If you are going to transplant the RB26dett, go with the RB25 RWD transmission and don't worry about AWD. There is a very good reason there are only 2 or 3 of them in the world...

-Bob

Thanks for your knowledge, much appreciated.

Maybe more sense to spend the time/money on a rwd solution and more engine work and probably have a quicker car to boot.

It still needs to go around corners tho.

Thanks very much mate, mad how hi tech these skylines are smile.gif

Hmm not one to shy away from a challenge tho :Dmalebitchslap.gif Erm hmmm

Guest Anonymous

been around 4wd/awd all my life in the Pacific Northwest and hate em puke.gif Always equated Jeeps as lowly utility work vehicles. Designed to take you places to tear up everything and get you into trouble. twak.gif which gets cuss.gif $ expensive. After the first snow, going into town I see the majority of vehicles in the ditch are 4wd becuz the owners think they do not slide in the snow at speed. With 4 wheels spinning.. They slide twice as fast.

What was that thing about mad dogs and english men....

Anyway, If you must have 4 whell drive then what about the set up from the Gts-4 skylines. These were the next level down from the gtr's. They can come in 4 wheel drive as well with the rb20 or the rb25 and have a much more simple 4 wheel drive system. You could just use the drive train and put in the rb26. I would keep the rb25 myself. Single turbo would be easyier to work with etc.

Cheers

Douglas

I just want a Z that looks almost stock but goes like **** off a stick and is as good on a trackday as it is up the strip. Jack of all trades you may say.

I was gonna go 350cu SBC and such but then I thought why not try to keep it Jap Nissan/Datsun and I've always wanted dump valves so...

Hmmm burnout.gif

You absolutely right... the awd would be a wicked project but I simply wouldn't have the time/patience really. Patience I have plenty of but I don't want it to take 20yrs to get it rolling and by which time no matter how good my awd Z is a modern diddy men car would out perform it :D

Still would be interesting to see how other people have done it.

• 3 weeks later...