HybridZ

I think the LS1 was a good choice ...

It funny ... well depressing actually ... how fast things degenerate. I should have written 'a big honkin V8' and a 'high strung turbo 2 liter' ... of course then it would have degenerated into 4 vs 8 cylinders ...

but in the end I really dont care 'cause the engine is now back in the car for the final time. I keep looking for what I forgot before I put everything back in but so far I haven't found it. I figure it'll be good for 12's in the 1/4 and should be good for FTD at the local autox unless I've really screwed up the balance or the BM shows up. With the L6 I was usually ~1/2 sec off FTD from a really fast guy in a Z06 (actually beat him once) but with the 125 or so extra ponies and a much stiffer chassis I figure I should be able to shave off the last 1/2 second.

PS: "all he has is big turbo, big FMIC, exhaust, turbo, stand alone engine management and stock internal except for the cam". That adds up to probably $5-10k depending on quality of parts??? If that is 'all' then 'all' I'm doing to the L6 is an LS1 upgrade for the same $$.

Cameron

Its still a datsun and it wll be worth more then a evo in about 10 years when they are all 5 grand and ragged out by kids.

I have an Evo with bolt ons and a 240z and I agree with you, the datsun is going up but the Evo still has his value.

I consider the Evo like my Daily driver (who says Beater?? :P) since I've got the Z.

If the new Evo X is not far better compared to the current one, Evo 8/9 value will stay high. However, it will probably never be a classic like the Z is or is going to be.

For the OP autor, the Evo probably had a big laggy turbo. An Evo should make you hit the seat easy at each accelation ;)

Ask Scottie-GNZ about what the correct sizing of a turbo will do for you - it won't lag and it will make torque down low. It's all in the selection. Of course, starting with 3.8 Liter engine (Buick Grand National) makes it a bit easier than starting with 2.0 liters. But just the same, if it felt dead down low, there is either a non-optimal turbo (for low rpm grunt) or tuning issues to point to.

The LS1 vs turbo 4 cyl thing comes down to preference, nothing else. There are so many variables. Simplicity, ease of tuning, tolerance for below-par octane fuel, etc. are some of my reasons for preferring natural aspiration or low pressure turbo/supercharging with lots of swept volume (displacement). But there are plenty of stinking fast cars out there with 4 cylinders and turbos that can do the trick too.

Its still a datsun and it wll be worth more then a evo in about 10 years when they are all 5 grand and ragged out by kids.

I bought my rolling evo chassis for not much more than that in 07 never mind 2017. I don't buy cars for investment, I buy them to have fun building and running them. I never said I don't love my 240z. I think you guys are missing my point. I am a car guy and wouldn't even say at the end of the day it's still a honda. If that is what you are into building it's cool with me.

0100, I agree 100% with your thinking, and I think I've proven over the years that I'm a car guy first, with a wide diversity in cars I like, and buy... I just do not like anything in the Mitsubishi product line, for the reasons I stated above.

Someone in my office asked what I'd buy as a commutor car and everyone thought I was joking when I said I'd buy a Hyundai if I had a long commute. Then I cited my reasons, and pulled up some data on their current ratings and everyone's jaws dropped... So you see, it isn't like I'm totally out in left field with my taste of european cars... I'm still intuned to today's auto market... I just hate mitsubishi's products, in general...

Mike