HybridZ

Biggest turbo for L28et?

BurnoutZ

Hey, I wanted to see you guys' opinion on this subject. What turbo is most effective for a L28et engine without, "blowing it up"? What modifications for a stock l28et are needed for a big turbo?(25-35psi? maybe?) What is the biggest turbo a stock l28et engine can support without further modifications?(my opinion- maybe the msa "turbo mod" kit?) Anyone tried using any of Turbonetics' products?

Most people on here don't run big turbos or boost. A few do though. Boost isn't the limiting factor, it's detonation. Cast pistons are not very forgiving at high boost. You can run 30 psi if you want on turbo pistons, just don't let it knock. Timing and octane are critical at high boost.

By support do you mean spool? Someone on here is running a GT42 on an L28. Wouldn't spool too quick in the lower revs but the engine will spool it.

Turbonetics uses Garrett based stuff. I used one of there T58's and now have there T72. Works fine. Have a Precision on another engine.

Most people on here don't run big turbos or boost. A few do though. Boost isn't the limiting factor, it's detonation. Cast pistons are not very forgiving at high boost. You can run 30 psi if you want on turbo pistons, just don't let it knock. Timing and octane are critical at high boost.

By support do you mean spool? Someone on here is running a GT42 on an L28. Wouldn't spool too quick in the lower revs but the engine will spool it.

Turbonetics uses Garrett based stuff. I used one of there T58's and now have there T72. Works fine. Have a Precision on another engine.

Very true... So there is no "maximum" boost you can run on a stock l28et without further modifications? I saw some people on here discussing twin turbos. Ive heard a single big turbo is better than 2 turbos. Im not sure why but i think it is because of turbo lag. I saw this on a supra forum because alot of supra enthusiasts where trading in the twin turbos for 1 big single turbo.

Very true... So there is no "maximum" boost you can run on a stock l28et without further modifications? I saw some people on here discussing twin turbos. Ive heard a single big turbo is better than 2 turbos. Im not sure why but i think it is because of turbo lag. I saw this on a supra forum because alot of supra enthusiasts where trading in the twin turbos for 1 big single turbo.

Yes a twin turbo setup is better for reducing lag and a single turbo for efficiency About the stock engine not exactly. I would recommend you search before you ask another question all have been answered before. Short answer metal head gasket, arp head studs, better flowing head, custom ecu, all the supporting mods yes you can run lots of boost. Long answer search. Good luck

I would recommend you search before you ask another question all have been answered before.
I have searched. I cannot find an answer? I find some of the answers here somewhat vague.

I guess the reason I am asking this question because i have a P90A head and a F54 and the turbo has been parted out and i am looking at buying a turbo. I dont have enough money to further modify it so ill just clean it up and keep everything stock for now. How big of a turbo would you guys recommend me to get?

Clinton (as per usual) is right on the money.

You can run whatever turbo setup you want on a stock setup as long as you have the supporting mods to run it correctly.

I have a GT35R on a stock block, have run 19psi, with no mechanical issues. If you can afford to control the spark and fuel correctly, but whatever turbo meets your wildest HP requirements. :)

I would say a 500hp GT30 would go over nicely. Still internally gated so simpler to install too.

Dave

Guest 280ZForce

are you wanting to keep everything stock for now...ie fuel injectors, fuel rail, ecu, etc as well?

If so, then you my friend are at a huge limiting factor and should source a stock turbo or a smaller trim t3/t4.

In order to run a "larger than stock" turbo, you must make upgrades elsewhere to support it. There is no way in hell you are gonna run 25+ psi on all stock stuff w/ any turbo larger than stock.

Even to up the boost on the stock t3 turbo, you will need modifications to run I think over 12 psi (bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator, adjust the afm and/or some other mods). Same with any car, you can't just slap on a bigger turbo and crank up the boost w/out making further adjustments to correct timing and air/fuel mixutre.

By the sounds of it, you're on a super budget and trying to get by just going a 'larger turbo' and then i'm good route...but tis not so easy as it sounds. If it was, we'd all have larger turbos.

I'd consider getting a stock t3 turbo or a t3/t4 one and save up for some injectors and a fuel rail, manual boost controller and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Then of course you'll need an intercooler, ic pipes and a new downpipe to optimize this setup. Then with staying with stock ecu, you'll have to play w/ the afm adjustments a bit and get the mixutre good and adjust fuel pressure also.

If I'm wrong, then you need to be more specific to what you can afford to upgrade and what you can't, your question is pretty vague except 'large turbo' and 'stock stuff," cuz either way you're gonna be dishing out some cash to run a larger turbo and definitely run anywhere near that much boost.

As far as I know, I only know of a few guys running 24+ psi w/ larger turbos on the L-series on this forum and it comes with great effort and money to do it properly.

Instead of putting things in perspective of psi goals, I think you need to find a power goal and then work from there. Cuz 25 psi on a t3/t4 vs 25 psi say on a gt35 is a whole lot of difference.

I think you're just used to honda/srt-4 boys having to run so much boost on their lil engines and turbos...I mean cuz the srt-4 stock runs on like 18 psi or something? You can't compare apples and oranges.

All your answers are here on the forum for what you want to know, the key is searching with the correct wording and doing multiple searches for each item relating to upgrades.

Guest 280ZForce
Very helpful. So as I see if i were to keep it totally stock it would be ignorant to get a diff. turbo... because the stock turbo can go up to say 12psi? As for the fuel rail, What is the difference between the types.. ie-"o-ring", "barbed"....

Pretty much if you're gonna work with all stock equipment, then I'd stay with the t3 or maybe a smaller t3/t4, the t3 can go efficientyl up to maybe around 17 psi from what I know. But you will need to upgrade injectors and the likes to do so. You can make 300 whp or so on stock equipment, granted you upgrade the fuel injectors and properly adjust the fuel pressure and everything correlating to tuning the afr.

There is a lot of info on here to browse through to direct you to some good goals of 300-400 whp range, poke around a bit more on here and you'll find it quite easily I think.

Don't worry about a psi # yet, work on getting the facts down and the things you need to carry your build forward and come up with a hp goal.

You can also find the difference between the barbed and o-ring injectors by searching, you can go either route w/ the pallnet fuel rail, he makes a rail for each. It's pretty much a personal preference and also which injectors you can buy for what you can afford.

the twin turbo setups have one small turbo and one big turbo, this reduces turbo lag because the small one can spool up easily creating boost at lower speeds. the lager turbo takes more time to create boost, but when it does it creates a lot more.

I think what you are referring to is called sequential turbo's. Twin turbo's - to me - implies that the turbos are the same size, each taking care of half of the engine.

I am a super nice guy, but you need a bit of a reality check.

You do not know enough about this engine to start playing around customizing things; you WILL, best case scenario, make less than ideal decisions, worst case scenario go through more than one motor, making less power than you want, spending more money than you could, and generally being unhappy.

I say this, for a couple reasons:

1. I don't have enough knowledge to help you directly on the topic at hand

2. I have spent enough time sitting here sponging up data to realize that I have a very good idea on what I know, and do not know (see sig)

3. You have not demonstrated that you know virtually anything about working with a turbocharged engine, and getting down to the nitty-gritty of things. It is NOT a simple world like say, building a PC, or even a Camaro with a smallblock in it..

I am trying to be frank and honest, but also not go on at length about this. I am not trying to sound insulting, but you would do well by visiting the L-series sub forum, along with this one and maybe the aftermarket EFI subforums and read through all of the stickies. If someone recommends a link in a post, click it. Read, read, and read some more, and take a break once in a while to go out to your car, look at things you've been reading about, and connect the abstract data to the very real car and engine you have.

A great first step is to find the EFI bible here http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm and read through it. It provides a GREAT technical repair and diagnostic manual on the Z-car EFI system, but also a great tutorial on basic fuel injection function, theory, and componentry. It is a good first step towards REALLY understanding whats going on inside your engine, and the better you understand that, the better the results you can get. This difference is made MUCH more visible on the lower budget ends of the spectrum. In other words, the less money you have, the more of an ally knowledge is to your efforts.

I hope i don't sound like an ass, because I am just trying to be friendly and point you in a good direction. These cars are in my blood, and have been my whole life; I look at the Z community as an extended brotherhood and am trying to help you out :)