HybridZ

Reverse N00B: Have v8 - looking for some fun

Here's a reverse n00b question for all you Z Car masters out there. You probably don't see this much on here:

1970986714_3633b85598.jpg

I've got a carb'ed 305 v8 out of a 1970 Chevy c/10 pickup. It's been a strong farm truck but the main seal appears to have gone (at least that would explain the hiccups and oil all over the front cross member). My brother and I were going to pull the motor out and fix it.

Then my wife and I just bought a new truck instead (new to us: 02' Chevy 2500HD).

So now I have a donor motor. I'm either going to scrap the truck, blow it up on camera (I have a cliff on my property I'm dying to toss the truck off of at 50mph....), or part out the truck for a different project.

I'm a noob to the hybrid-Z conversion, but I have a couple of questions. First the facts.

--

1.) If I built a Z, it would not be for records or racing. My wife owned a V8 swaped Z about 8 years ago and it's still her dream car. She doesn't need anything fancy. IF I proceed down this route, I'm doing it bare bones. Flat-white rustoleum paint job, upgraded brakes, prolly touch nothing else. Don't need the tires to smoke, just looking for a fun project with my brother and a fun 1000k miles or less/year car for my wife.

2.) I have 90% of all tools I'd imagine I need, minus any welding or metal fab gear. I do have connections for that stuff, if needed.

3.) I have a dedicated, covered barn to perform the swap.

4.) I'm looking at stuff like this 1974 260z as a receiving vehicle:

01151301160101030520071119a3249f1174846d0d99009d92.jpg0102070104020103062007111903da614996dae5d51400f352.jpg

$500 bucks - bad motor

or

1978 280z with 5 speed tranny and r200 rear end.

01010501150701040320071118e2c95f8679ff593f980010f2.jpg01011001030701160020071118ca12d5a8dd559fdfb00022db.jpg

$595 and it runs ok.

5.) I'm an amateur car mechanic at best and have performed major mods to cars besides drivetrains ( I know, the most important aspect).

6.) Again, 305 motor, running but sick. In high school I owned (and loved) an '83 Regal T-Type CLONE with the same 305 motor. Yeah, the buick was slow, but it was a sweet car. I knew it inside and out, replaced all kinds of stuff myself.

7.) Brother is a boat mechanic, expert electrician, and commonly works on huge inboard 383 strokers, 454s, you name it.

8.) I'd order the swap manual first thing after deciding to go through with the project.

Q U E S T I O N S:

A.) Though a noob, do I sound like a good candidate to successfully complete this swap?

B.) Even my weak cursory knowledge is still lacking in transmission ideas. I'm super noob in the tranny department. Any chance the manual tranny's in the Z's would hold up to a weak 305?

C.) I looked at some cost estimates on this site, but nothing for carb'ed engines. How fairly bolt on is this process?

D.) After reading my query, if you want to flame me, just tell me to blow up the truck instead and I'll understand.

--

Thanks to all for their patience.

Josh in Oregon

No flames here. But you should read the JTR manual to get an idea of what's involved, and it talks about transmission choices. Check out the drivetrain forum too.

Start here - there are links to a few kits and the JTR page with their manual and parts.

Automatic trans w/o overdrive will be cheapest and easiest. A decent TH350 will be fine for this, but not as much fun, IMO. I've used a Tremec 5spd and a G-Force T-5. The first had a very low 1st gear, was a bit notchy shifting with a short shifter, the G-Force T-5 will run you out of the car when it's in 3rd gear due to the low helix angle on the gears ;). Man, that thing is noisy!

Good luck and welcome to HybridZ!

Ive got a buddy building a 72 chevy truck and needs a good hood and front fenders. If those are in tact, don't push it off the cliff!

The cool part is, he has a perfect donor Z for your project. Complete car, has a motor and all but hasn't been run in quite a while. It's in Houston.

Maybe some kind of trade is in order?

Trying to mate the Nissan tranny to the Chevy motor would be more work and money than it's worth, and even then might not hold up to the torque of the v8. If you want a manual trans, try looking for a t5 that came from a camaro/firebird. They came behind 305s, so they are definitely up to the job.

Ive got a buddy building a 72 chevy truck and needs a good hood and front fenders. If those are in tact, don't push it off the cliff!

The cool part is, he has a perfect donor Z for your project. Complete car, has a motor and all but hasn't been run in quite a while. It's in Houston.

Maybe some kind of trade is in order?

Hey Hickl - hit me up with a PM for more info. I was really into the blowing up of the truck but I'm into recycling too...

Thanks for the welcome pparaska. You guys are a devoted community.

And bschiltz, yes thanks for the tranny tip. I guess that's the kind of spirit I'm looking for here. I'm not trying to be the typical n00b and say "how much does this cost", but more say "Do I sound like someone who could pull this off? (or) is this a good idea for me."

Once I feel like I might be qualified for the task, then I'll hit up that manual for sure. I'd like to know I have the right mindset for this project from some others who've been there before.

I'd say your definitely have the right mindset to complete the project. You have realistic goals and (from what I can tell) are not afraid to work to reach them. I'm 18 years old and finished my v8 swap into my 79 ZX this summer. When I started, I had VERY little knowledge about cars. Heck, I still don't know that much compared to some of the people on here, but I got my swap done and can say I did 99% of the work my self. Buy the JTR book and read it until your eyes cross, then read everything you can on here. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask. As long as you put the effort in to finding the answer your self, most people are more than happy to help.

I say go for it! Shop around and look at as many cars as you can. I know there are several guys on hybridz that are in Oregon, so maybe try and get in contact with them to see if they know of any suitable donor cars.

With background scenery like in your picture I believe you could be inspired to do just about anything.

That is beautiful country. I need to get around and see other things than just sunny Florida all the time.

Good luck with your Z project and I guess get ready for a long winter.

Tom

If he replaces the seals on the 305 then uses it for the swap, it will be really easy to swap in a 350 later if he wants it.

Yeah, and that's really what I was thinking. We've had the car for just over 24 hours now, and I'm going to start a new thread about some observations I've just made about it.

The deal with the 305 really is that I already have it. I know a gal with a stroked 402 sitting dormant '77 Camaro....but I'll never be able to afford that (soon).

My wife (and this is her car) loved the idea of an Aluminum LS-1/LT-1 powerplant....but I couldn't spend $2,000 just on a motor right now.

So with the 305....yeah, I know that's not a badass motor, but I have it.

All this though has me thinking a lot, and that's why I'll be starting a new thread.

Bottom line: I just bought my wife a $595 rocket ship that still smokes the tires off the line & from 4th to 5th.

Goddamn that's some of the best money we've ever spent. Woohooo!

Man this car is cool.

280_b4_dutchTall_web.jpg

on the note of the 305 not a power house... Hmm go to a junk yard and get a 88, 89 305... slap a intake and a carb, with a mild cam in and a hei dist.... with some headers and a good exhaust and you'd be suprised... over 300 ftlbs, and 250-270 hp...... Yes to the ground....... For little money thats impressive.......... something you have laying around..... intake and carb about 250-300 used cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, springs retainers etc another 250-300... and a good gasket set 60 + 40 for good hg's

6-700 and you got a reliable stout v8 305 that people will think is a 350 undoubtably.......Boy now I'm thinking..... hm I have a 350 block, but needs a crank and rods (2 resized)....All though I have a running 305... needs new valve guide seals.... 5 speed....hmmmmmm

on the note of the 305 not a power house... Hmm go to a junk yard and get a 88, 89 305... slap a intake and a carb, with a mild cam in and a hei dist.... with some headers and a good exhaust and you'd be suprised... over 300 ftlbs, and 250-270 hp...... Yes to the ground....... For little money thats impressive..........

Or you could spend just as much on a 350 and get even more horsepower. :)

Point is he has the motor... And if you have something you aren't going to have to spend money to obtain it...

And getting a 350 for cheap that is worth a crap with out full rebuild (full rebuild = as much as I stated to spend to begin with), And that might be the cheapest you could find...

Then again you could go that route and Loose out on at least 150 of the 6-700.. leaving 450-550.... (at best) And as a matter afact as I stated about the 350 being a little harder to find.. If you don't know anyone(and if you do they probably want to keep it for themselves anyway). You could be paying as much as 350 for one from a local yard...

just made the statement that you coud get hp from a 305.. Heck I had a magazine that made a whole issue devoted to the little engine that could "The overlooked 305"... Wish I remembered which one it was... But they didn't get as much as you would think.. Same mods I said plus aluminum heads they only got like 385 hp and some 40x ftlbs..... To the ground out of a 305 with no internals to the bottom end (if you ask me its amazing)........ The magazine was like a master mechanic from the late 90's.... Wish I could remember......

I almost crapped myself when I read it so I imagine you guy's will all feel the same and say I am lying.. I expect you to. I would think I was and still wonder if they added a few for the hype.. ALthough I hear that a simple cam will get you 1 hp for 1ci..... So I guess it may work.. Also the compression ratio was for pump gas.. It wasn't like ok now this combo is only good for 1 dyno pass on 211 octane fuel... The setup was supposedly daily driver build????? What rpm stall would be required.....

Actually I think they had stock 5 speed..( borgwarner says no 350 5 speeds for you..)...

Ok well anyway...

Refreshments are... He has the 305... little money can get him some hp...

Thanks for all the input here guys.

Okay, I haven't pulled the motor or anything yet to check the casting numbers on the block, but I just did some research and wikipedia is telling me the 305 engines weren't made until 1976. :shock:

The truck is a 1970 c/10 and I have no reason to believe it has anything less than all original factory parts everywhere on the damn thing.

So....

Ah hell, who am I kidding? I know even rebuilding the engine is going to run $1K+ plus adding in every other swap part needed, plus a sourced 5 speed.

Maybe I'll just pull the motor out of the truck just because...maybe...one day.

Until then, I'm seriously looking at going with theh $1500 tuner route - I like what I read on hear about some guy's $1500 challenge, that seems more up my alley, and maybe down the road I can really trick the car out.

Who knows?