HybridZ

Speaking of LED tail lights

deja

Well I have LED bulbs in '85 Corvette tail lights. I made a fiberglass rear panel with 1" recesses for the tail lights. The license is slightly recessed although I really didn't leave a lot of room, no frame is going to fit. The light for the license plate is a series of 10 LEDs sitting under the body panel above the tail light panel. As you can see I have switched over to all LED exterior lights. I have some back-up lights I will install after I figure out where the exhaust is going to end up and the rear bumper is installed. The spoiler is just in primer right now. I had intended on painting it black, but now that I see it sort of silver I may rethink that.

tail-lights-installed.jpg

tail-lights-closeup.jpg

What car was the donor for the side marker lights?

Believe it or not a Peterbilt semi truck! I got those on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Peterbilt-Clear-Lens-LED-Marker-Lights-Red_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50466QQihZ011QQitemZ2489947225QQtcZphoto. Fronts are amber, rears are red. The mounting holes actually lined up so I didn't have to drill new holes.

Believe it or not a Peterbilt semi truck! I got those on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Peterbilt-Clear-Lens-LED-Marker-Lights-Red_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50466QQihZ011QQitemZ2489947225QQtcZphoto. Fronts are amber, rears are red. The mounting holes actually lined up so I didn't have to drill new holes.

Nice clean look. I recently got some "pick-a-part" Hyundai flush mount side markers, but these look like a nice alternative, also.

looks good. I think the spoiler would look great black, or silver. If your paint is very old, the silver might not match perfectly though.

The bigger problem with the paint is I don't really know what it is. The PO painted it about 3 years ago and I'm not sure its even the real Datsun silver. I have no way to contact him either.

You can take a painted piece in to the auto paint store and have them "eye" it, and the computer will give them a formula to mix up. It will be really close, but may not be perfect, but might not be able to tell either. Have them mix you up a pint, and spray something with it, and hold it up to the side of your car, and see how it looks. I have had good luck at matching colors this way. Some stores, have the portable ones, that you can take the whole car and they can get a reading in the parking lot.

You can take a painted piece in to the auto paint store and have them "eye" it, and the computer will give them a formula to mix up. It will be really close, but may not be perfect, but might not be able to tell either. Have them mix you up a pint, and spray something with it, and hold it up to the side of your car, and see how it looks. I have had good luck at matching colors this way. Some stores, have the portable ones, that you can take the whole car and they can get a reading in the parking lot.

Thanks thats a good idea.

Are your rear tires on backward? :weird:

Looks nice with the recessed black!

Thanks.

Do you mean because of the tread pattern? DOH! You're right. Damn, how or when did that happen? I was going to pull the wheels tonight anyway, so I'll put them back on right. Thanks for noticing that.

It wouldn't make sense to direct rain to the middle of the tire :bonk:

It might make for an exciting ride in the rain!

They have been off and on the car so many times during this LT1 conversion I must have got confused at some point.

what is your spacing? between the lights, and from the lights to the edge of the panel

The lights are about 2" apart and a little less from the edge. I can take more precise measurements if you need them. I pretty much eyeballed the left one and duplicated it on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...
Deja- I noticed you have a 280z and pulled off the fin the covers the stock rear bumper. Did you drill out the spot welds and what did you fill the holes with?

I cut off the fin and attempted to grind the spot welds flat. But the metal is so thin most of them fell out before I could get them flat. Since I don't own a welder or even know how to weld I covered the holes witha strip of fiberglass and blended it. I also shaved the rest of the valance, again using fibergalls and filer. In the future I plan on a cover for it and a front air dam. But this will do for now.

I also do the LED conversion for the 240Z's and did J. Soileau RB26ZCAR's 260Z LED tail lights.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/107/dcp0748xz2.jpg[/img]

And this is James Z at Canby 07' both are customers of mine. Stock housings for the Original OEM look but when you hit the brakes, Damn!!!

http://www.bleachgarage.com/images/event/canby07/canby07100_5314.jpg[/img]

http://www.bleachgarage.com/images/event/canby07/canby07100_5312.jpg[/img]

What are the specs on those LED's ?

Diameter, angle and mcd?