HybridZ

Carbureted turbo

MazterDizazter

The one with triples is actually in a 240SX for those who don't know.

Is the intercooler BEHIND THE RADIATOR there?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20339&d=1264718243

(sorta makes you wonder if this cat used a returnless fuel delivery system, to boot... boiling fuel, boiling intercooler... :rolleyesg)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh, none are as blind as those who won't see. Two FPR's on the firewall, guys two independent return-styl fuel supply systems one for the carbs, one for the EFI contingent. On a drag engine, which is shut down at the end of the run, fuel percolation is not an issue. Those floats are down, and the fuel going into those bowls leaves them so quick it would make your head spin! The hint is the six additional injectors outside the carb barrels---he's pumping in some heavy fuel. I'd be curious to know the times on that car...

As for a radiator---it's only behind it if it's all the way across top to bottom. How big is the radiator on a 10,000 NHRA top fuel dragster, BTW? In case nobody noticed, the upper radiator hose goes to the right fenderwell---my bet is what you guys are thinking is a 'radiator cap' to the right of the I/C in the photo is actually the fuel cel for one of the fuel systems. I know that's where mine is... A whole 2 gallons worth. Stock tank is full of water for ballast and traction.

Live inside the box, die inside the box. Or not! Daeron, yer slippin' man!

Anybody else notice the lagged and stored independent ignition system to the left in the photo? Or the shape of the plenum on those carbs? Interesting...

For those who haven't seen it, here's another combo (Carb/EFI) turbo setup from the JDM madness heyday...

Jeez, I love modern EFI - there's no way I could be bothered dealing with all this stuff. It's potentially so fiddly that you'd never get to drive the car!

Just go EFI, it's the sane thing to do!

:)

TC24-B1_thumb.jpg

Jeez, I love modern EFI - there's no way I could be bothered dealing with all this stuff. It's potentially so fiddly that you'd never get to drive the car!

Just go EFI, it's the sane thing to do!

You're no fun; and besides, I never get to drive my car anyways! :?

Tony_D, that is quite an interesting plenum design; perhaps the chamber was to get more airflow to the rear carburetor? I read that on the 4bbl manifolds the #6 cylinder tends to run the leanest, but I'm no airflow expert.

Found this on the Dellorto website:

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=DHLAturbokit&CategoryID=1&PartsectionID=1

"This kit contains the parts required to convert a normally aspirated DHLA carburettor to turbo use." -Now I don't know if it effectively turns it into a 45 M per sé, but the site does appear to sell 45 M components, at a hefty price of course.

A pair of complete 45 M's sell for GBP775, or about $1240, before ludicrous overseas shipping.

Is the intercooler BEHIND THE RADIATOR there?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20339&d=1264718243

(sorta makes you wonder if this cat used a returnless fuel delivery system, to boot... boiling fuel, boiling intercooler... :rolleyesg)

Why use an air to air intercooler on a drag car anyway when you could use an air to ice water cooler? Is that an air to air?

Why use an air to air intercooler on a drag car anyway when you could use an air to ice water cooler? Is that an air to air?

Exactly, that cap may well be where you add the water and ice to the heat sink for the I/C...

I thought all these were my pictures!! :icon45: Here are some more for your viewing pleasure!

BTW, it's a water to air intercooler on this S13.

The L28 is bored/stroked to L31 and runs a pair of Trust TD06-20G turbo's.

It has a Lenco trans. with a triple plate clutch.

Runs an 8.52 @ 158 mph.

Bloody Japanese!! Good on em!

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_000.jpg