HybridZ

SS hood for our S130...any interest?

80LS1T

Incase you haven't seen the thread in the Venders forum, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=832508#post832508

280Zone said he would consider making us the SS hood for our cars if we can get 15 people to buy them! I really like the hood but obviously I can't buy 15 hoods! He said the cost would be right around $500 shipped! That's a killer deal on a fiberglass hood not to mention it looks sweet!

So what do you guys think? Do we have 14 other guys interested?

Guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
there is no real advantage for a fiber hood it is not very heavy anyway

FACT: stock hood weights 50lbs

John's(Beta Motorsports) hood weights about 15lbs(so I'm sure this one is close to that) and even less when its carbon fiber! Thats a pretty big chunk of weight off the front end, not to mention the SS hood looks good!(IMHO)

Guy

Well I believe you're right team nissan, but I think the bumpers combined would easily weigh more. I think they're around 30-40 pounds a piece. Based of my estimate when one fell on me....

The hatches are pretty heavy too. You'd know what I'm talking about if you ever had to lift one that didn't have shocks in it. But the weight I'm sure is helped along with that huge piece of glass and wiper + motor.

Fenders are light. Doors are pretty heavy. I havn't stripped on yet, but so far I'd guess that the longer 2+2 is a good 30+ pounds. I also noticed that the 2+2 doors feel WAY heavier when opening them compared to the 2 seater doors.

What other removable panels are there? I think I've covered them all.

At any rate, converting to a fiberglass or carbon hood could easily reduce any weight added from an engine swap for most people around here. Most V8 engines are lighter, or less than 50 pounds more than the L28 origonally in the car. The transmissions are normally quite a bit heavier though...

I'd love to see someone make an aluminum bumper piece though. I really wanna take that weight off my car, but I still want the protection of a bumper, and knowing I can bump a car while parking is nice. Not so much because I can't park, but I've watched so many other people hit cars while parking.