HybridZ

Brake Duct Funnels

Challenger

I've made some pretty complicated brake ducts (as well as cold-air induction scoops) using the foam/fiberglass method. The foam I used was floral foam (wet type). It is a very brittle, yet soft, foam that can be damaged easily simply by squeezing it between your fingers. This foam will not react to the resin, which means the resin can be applied directly onto the foam. It can be sanded extremely easily (too easily, so be careful), and will not ball up, or tear when sanded.

The brake scoops are on either side of the radiator opening. The scoops are split top and bottom (top for cold air induction, and bottom for brake air). In the "finished" photo, they are painted red.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

In this image, I used the foam/fiberglass to create a ram-air system on the 240SX. The scoop and the canister (which houses the K&N filter and AFM) are all made out of fiberglass.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Looking good! Keep the pictures coming. This stuff will require a small amount of effort to remove and clean up from the inside after the glass has kicked, but nothing you can't handle. If you need larger pieces, I always used a hot-glue gun to joint pieces. As you've probably already determined, this stuff is very fragile, and can be damaged easily prior to the glass if you handle it too roughly.

dont forget with your ducting to check for clearance at ALL points of your suspension travel. last thing you'd want is to hit a heavy bump or ripple strip during a corner, and have your duct smash apart into your suspension, brakes or wheel. could cause some serious damage, and maybe even a crash.

as for moulding with foam, i use polyurethane foam, and mould straight onto it. you can paint it and then wax it to help it release away form your item.

If your careful doing it, you can even reuse it again.

as for moulding with foam, i use polyurethane foam, and mould straight onto it. you can paint it and then wax it to help it release away form your item.

If your careful doing it, you can even reuse it again.

I was going to suggest something similar.

There are a few products on the market that will make this easier, though you usually have to go to an industrial supply house for that stuff. the only one I know of is in Mississauga Ontario.

Anyway. You can also coat the foam in body filler (as long as it's not made from a material that reactes to solvents, like styrofoam), smooth the part out completly, wax it and going the extra step, using a liquid called PVA (Poly Vinyl Alcohol) to release the mold from the part. The PVA is water soluable, and can release the part using water forced into the seperation to disolve the PVA.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I only put on one layer and it seems that the resin isnt hardening the fg cloth. The extra resin that was on the newspaper hardened but the fg isnt. Its been out in the cold, I dont think that would make a difference. Im going to go ahead and put on a few more layers to see if it works.

Well I only put on one layer and it seems that the resin isnt hardening the fg cloth. The extra resin that was on the newspaper hardened but the fg isnt. Its been out in the cold, I dont think that would make a difference. Im going to go ahead and put on a few more layers to see if it works.

Sorry to contradict the "cold" statement, but resin is VERY sensitive to temperature. This is a chemical process, and as such, is accelerated with temperature. A piece layed up in the summer with 90º temps will harden in just a few minutes, with 1/2 the amount of catalyst in it compared to a piece layed up during the winter which may take an hour to set. This is stuff that you'll get a feel for when you do more parts. Temperature is very important. During winter lay-ups, I try to heat the garage if possible, but if not, at the very minimum, I warm the resin and catalyst before mixing and lay-up. This will help a lot!