HybridZ

Paying for our mistakes...

Mikelly

My wife and I have her 97 BMW, my 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, my 2004 Dodge Cummins 3500 and a Haulmark enclosed car trailer on it and we're paying $3000 per year full coverage with increased coverage amounts and an Umbrella policy to cover us beyond that

It will cost me 3500 a year just for liability on my 87 z31t :icon9:

Too late now, but why not, instead,

1. Buy a $3000 beater (like a mid-90’s Corolla) that would only need liability insurance.

2. Put $4000 in a Roth IRA for 2007 in the kid’s name, and add $5000 for 2008

3. And if he’s a good boy, contribute another $5000 when 2009 rolls around?

That way you help him out financially, don’t throw good money after bad, and the investment is in an account that he can’t [easily] touch?

Are you assuming Michael that we don't already have something like that in place? :wink:

Hard to take advantage of the roth beyond current max points and we're hitting them every year.

No, the goal was to have him safe and in a reliable car that won't be a roll of the dice everytime he gets in the car to start it up... His other car wouldnt' start "after" the trade in was worked. To me, this car was an investment in his safety and peace of mind.

Mike

I was in the same boat your son-in-law was... I got in an accident and had two tickets (maybe 3?) from when I had just gotten my licence. Then my dad and mom split and i got booted from being on a corporate insurance policy to whatever I could get on my own since my dad stopped talking to me and i got rapped. I dealt with it on my own for about 3 yrs then it started to come back down and now is relatively reasonable. I was paying north of $400/mnth on my 99 Grand Prix. The speeding ticket was my biggest learning experience and since have not gotten a ticket.

Live and learn I guess. We all make mistakes, some learn from them thankfully.

Cheers and happy new year

One thing my agent told me he does is find the cheapest car to insure the family owns and mark that as the primary driver for the young one(s).

Because the driver is insured under ALL vehicles in the family it really is nothing more than paper work to which car he/she drives. Now this only helps if your family has a beater that you can claim as the primary.

It also helps to have a cool agent.