HybridZ

Choke Lever Re-Location

CArFAn

I just installed my center console back into my Z and now the choke lever will not fit properly. I'm not sure if my center console is tweaked, but its not working. If anyone has relocated theres please post pictures and how you did it. Or if you have a good condition center console for a 72' 240z i would buy it from you if your close by where i can pick it up near or around Stockton to Fremont in between those would be best. ( should they 72 choke lever mount in the middle? mines mounts off to the side and the dip where the ashtray sits in stops it from moving over and mounting the right way.)

As far as I know they all mounted to the drivers side of the console. I don't have pics, and I no longer have the choke, but in my 280 I shortened the cables and housings and mounted mine under the dash next to the hood release cable. Worked great.

Mike

Mike, that's a good spot for it! Why hadn't I thought of that? I've been putting off welding the lever bracket to the trans tunnel for months because I'm not confident I can get it lined up properly with the console. I broke my old console in half while yanking on the thing and thankfully had a spare console. I didn't want to repeat the process all over again.

As far as I know they all mounted to the drivers side of the console. I don't have pics, and I no longer have the choke, but in my 280 I shortened the cables and housings and mounted mine under the dash next to the hood release cable. Worked great.

Mike

Did you make a mount or modify the existing one or just drill holes and mount?

Did you make a mount or modify the existing one or just drill holes and mount?

Used the existing mount that was on the lever end. Used one of the bolts for the hood release or vent that is right there and drilled for the other one. Had it that way for 18 years.

Mike

Thanks for that Steve. G. It seems easy and can be done fast. I just have to go out and find the metal for it. I broke the center last night trying to "make" it work right where the lever sticks through the slot on the side of it. I have to fix and repaint it again.

• 5 weeks later...
The choke on my 70 240 was really hard to operate until I rebuilt the cables and the pivot part. Just pulled the cable out of the sheath, cleaned and smoothed it with some fine emory paper, then greased it (no WD40 here) and reinstalled it.

Slick as snot now.

Oh man, thanks for this. I did this tonight and what a difference. Did you clean the sheath too? How?

I was thinking of pulling the wires back out, clean again re-greasing and re-install the wires.