HybridZ

Im thinking about getting rid of my door windows...

A while back someone broke into my car through my drivers side window. Now I am left in a position where I either need to find/buy a new window OR just remove the windows regulator all together and pull the passengers side window to match. I am really not planning on using the car for anything other than weekend drives and the occasional track day so I thought I might benefit from the weight reduction. However, I am aware that this will create more drag in the car. My solution was to get some clear, flexible PVC or vinyl "pockets" made that will slip over the window frame to keep the wind out. Does this sound reasonable?

My solution was to get some clear, flexible PVC or vinyl "pockets" made that will slip over the window frame to keep the wind out. Does this sound reasonable?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I'd go with a new (used) window for sure.

Unless you create a lot of positive pressure inside the cabin, those are going to flap and vibrate so much at speed no matter how hard you stretch it...

I've had to tape up a broken window before with visqueen(sp?) and duct tape. It would flap like mad unless I closed all the windows and cranked the fan on high. It was a brand-new car so it was sealed nice and tight and when you'd turn the control to recirculate instead of fresh, you'd the the insanely loud flapping back.

I didn't want to say it, but I think that "window-condoms" are a no-no...:mrgreen:

Unless you create a lot of positive pressure inside the cabin, those are going to flap and vibrate so much at speed no matter how hard you stretch it...

Hadnt thought about that... but thats why I asked before I sold my other good window.

I had someone bust out my drivers door window trying to get to my cd player and for about 2 months i used a plexi glass window . I got some plexi glass from home depot cut it to shape installed it in the regulator and it worked great didnt make any noise or flap in the breeze . It just was a bit hard to roll the plexi glass up and down to open the window .

Jason

My idea for this was to screw a piece of Lexan into the existing window frame. I ended up nixing the idea because apparently most track day places now require that both windows be rolled down.

I have read a bit about lexan windows, but havent found anyone that is selling them. Know anyone that can cut some? And at what cost? My main concern would be getting the convex shape to seal correctly. I think it might be a neat idea to have four pins that hold the window in place and are easily removable on a hot day.

I found a 280z window for my Z for like $12 at the junkyard to replace mine that had some chips in it. Scratch free perfect window! Someone had already taken the regulator too so it came out really easy!

Just look around the junkyards until you find a good one.

I have never found a first gen Z at the JY's in my area. I did buy a replacement window from a recycler in Florida for $50 a while back, but when I received a box of shattered glass and he refused to give a refund, my faith in mail order windows went down a bit.

I have read a bit about lexan windows, but havent found anyone that is selling them. Know anyone that can cut some? And at what cost? My main concern would be getting the convex shape to seal correctly. I think it might be a neat idea to have four pins that hold the window in place and are easily removable on a hot day.

these guys make some awesome stuff..

http://www.percyshp.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=33

its alot stronger than lexan and wont fade or scratch like lexan will...

and you can put it in the regular window reg to just roll it up and down like a normal window..

I suppose the "soft glass" idea is not impossible, I see Jeeps all the time with thick vinyl rear side windows on their soft tops. Don't the early Miatas have a vinyl rear window (I don't think they're glass). Even then it may only last a few years in the elements without deteriorating...

As far as I can tell, the OEM glass has curvature in only one direction. So maybe you can borrow one and "mold" a plexiglass one from it if you can find a big enough oven (do you know anyone that works at a pizza joint?) I'm not sure if you can heat and bend Lexan as easily...

scratch that... dosent look like they have speedglass for S30s...

just call them, they can make anything. they made front and sides for my taurus SHO...

and the prices are really good too.

And yeah it still is lexan but better than what you would get at like home depot. its more specific for performance cars

I suppose the "soft glass" idea is not impossible, I see Jeeps all the time with thick vinyl rear side windows on their soft tops. Don't the early Miatas have a vinyl rear window (I don't think they're glass). Even then it may only last a few years in the elements without deteriorating...

As far as I can tell, the OEM glass has curvature in only one direction. So maybe you can borrow one and "mold" a plexiglass one from it if you can find a big enough oven (do you know anyone that works at a pizza joint?) I'm not sure if you can heat and bend Lexan as easily...

the lexan wouldnt be able to, you would have to make a huge jig to hold it in place our it would go off the ends of the glass...

I found a 280z window for my Z for like $12 at the junkyard to replace mine that had some chips in it. Scratch free perfect window! Someone had already taken the regulator too so it came out really easy!

Just look around the junkyards until you find a good one.

Haha ... maybe in "Z Dreamland" but they simply dont exist around here (central Illinois). Everything around here is only late model stuff only and not even pick and pull. :(

Cameron

My brother-in-law Mat (screen name Matman) has a ton of glass if you guys need it. Shouldn't be hard to ship. racermat(AT)earthlink.net

I may contact him about it. I think I am going to try and find a local piece one more time before ordering another. I really would like to go the lexan route, just have to finish some other things on the car before that particular expense.

Thanks for all the advice on this topic, I really meant for this to just be about aerodynamics over running with no windows vs. "window condoms" but this has been more than helpful.... although in retrospect I should have placed the question in a different forum.... sorry about that...

as for saftey on the street concerns, if you dont take care of the lexan, it can tend to scratch easy. but the speed glass has that protective coating. and so far i can say that it hasnt faded at all but scratch wise i cant say. my car isnt ready yet lol