HybridZ

moving an engine without a hoist...?

MJLamberson

of course Ill let you help me, but your gonna owe me for this ;)

:lmao:hahahahah...

The technical matter on this site is so well influenced by experience and know-how, that we could write a technical book on the proper execution of punch lines.

That one was great.

Anyway, if you can't find someone to help you. just pop a post in craigslist, and say 20 bucks and lunch. If it's a couple of miles, someone will do it, and will be glad to hear your plans about it.

What's funny is that the younger car ppl are both the cheapest to work with, and the easiest to deal with too. LOL.

If its only a few miles, put it in a shopping trolley and tip it out when you get home! ;) I moved around my RB30 with a cheap arse sack trolley - even over soft sand - like the fourth one down on this page http://www.kinggroup.com.au/products/trolley/trolleys.htm

By the sounds of things you dont have a towbar on your Zed? Trailer might be cheaper to hire than a ute (dunno what you yanks call a trailer over there, i think you call a trailer what we call a caravan) but i'm talking just a steel tray on a axle

All you have to do is load it up in the back of your z with the dudes hoist. Then when you get home, throw it in reverse, get up to about 45 MPH, then slam on the brakes. You only get one shot so make it count, I would suggest openging the garage door first to minimize the damage.

Lol, buy a hoist dude. They are cheap, and it will open up many opportunites in the future. They are well worth the money, even if you only use it a few times. Kragen has them on sale sometimes for like 70 bucks new.

Don't move it in your Z - I was stupid and moved a 35" TV (on a whim) for a friend with my Z - never again. Always have a buddy w/ a truck. It'll cost ya a 6 pk of beer at the most (oh crap, I guess I work cheap). Family members, but then you have to deal with that drama. Home Depot would be the next best bet. Uhaul (around here) rents the 1/2 ton Chevy pickups for 20 bucks +. Enterprise rents trucks - you get it all day for 30 bucks +. Oh, sorry, just saw you lived over there - California slightly higher.

If you had more time, you could make a cart - I welded casters on a damaged front crossmember and used the engine/tranny to move like a wheelbarrow. I got tired of that and welded back legs (used some heavy-duty shelving pieces) and casters to make an engine cart. But, the most action that has seen is going from one end of the garage to the other (and I got a pretty small garage).

The HF furniture dolly works great too - and when you are done with it for that purpose - it works great as a dolly for a set of your extra wheels / tires.

Wayne

Wow, I'm suprised the paradigm is so rigid and fast. Glad to see at least katman thinks outside the box!

What ever happened to removing the passenger's seat, rolling it up some boards on to the floor, and then carostrapping it securely using eyebolts in the seatbelt anchor points.

Lower it is, the SAFER it is, and EASIER it is to simply roll in and out with a PUSHING motion instead of a LIFTING motion.

I could (and did) transport my VW Engines in the passengers seat area whenever I needed to take the engine in for service. Heck, I could load that myself, without a hoist, but then it's only about 250#...that's a pretty easy deadlift with the legs.

I'd not put it in the hatch area...it's overloading the rear suspension and there's no real way to secure it properly in the even of a panic braking situation.....er....you're kissing the steering wheel with a severed spine. No thanks!

Passenger's floor, or rent the truck for $19 and hour and .38 cents a mile.

It's like removing nuts and bolts with a hammer and chisel...with the intent of re-using the nuts and bolts sans the corner you mangled in the removal process. Sure, you CAN do it....but why?

I agree with Tony on removing the passenger seat... It's only 4 bolts!

I'd hope you have some beefy suspension. a 400lb motor is quite heavy.

You could pull the head and manifolds and put them in the back tied down to distribute the weight better.

Or you could just rent like everyone else says...

BTW my Z's 4 speed sat on the passenger's floorboard and seat for a whole semester while I was away at school.

I'd not put it in the hatch area...it's overloading the rear suspension and there's no real way to secure it properly in the even of a panic braking situation.....er....you're kissing the steering wheel with a severed spine. No thanks!

just to reinforce this scenario, and it's possible outcome.

I had my first RB30 sitting on the deck side ontop of the furniture dolly in my room mates previa.

someone decided to go around a bus while it made it's routine stop, and press the brakes less than 15 yards infront of us, because he had forgotten that the light was green, and not red.

Brakes start screeching, room mate is pumping the brakes so they don't completely lock up, leans on the horn... I can't hear anything.

Into my left ear, I hear something rolling and scraping across the plywood floor we made for the previa. Yep... 200+ lbs of iron, with a crank damper coming straight for the back of the seat.

In an unlikely (and I say this, cause I was ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ lucky to be walking) event, the dowel on the deck caught a splinter on the plywood, and dug the foot of the transmission bolt hole into the plywood, and swung the engine about 270 degrees into the passenger sliding door, and made a huge hole in the interior door panel. As we rolled away slowly, cussing, swearing, and throwing water bottles outside of the window... I put my fist behind the seat, and I touched the engine block... I then put my fist to the back of the seat to see what protection I had, and I felt my 3 of my 4 knuckles in great detail with my spine, through the back of the seat.

We later sold the van that same night for 500 more than he paid for it, and got another previa the day after for the same 200 less than the previous previa! But that doesn't make what we did any less stupid. It just means the guy was desperate to haul his drywall in the thing that he didn't care about the hole that told the story of my still-here-today spine.

Passenger seat area with some sturdy strapping sounds like a REALLY good place for it.

Just looking out for you guys. I'm sure we all have scenarios similar to this that are common mistakes that we can share to ensure there's an increasing number of Z owners, rather than the inverse.