HybridZ

AWD setups? What's been done? What works?

Guest da-man (is not!)

I don't know if the vq awd auto would be able to take alot of torque. I know the VH and VG30TT use the same auto trans and can take some torque.

There are a couple rebuild kits that I have seen for the VH/VG trany to take up to 600hp which would be quite nice if manually shifted. I read somewhere that this tranny has an 11-15% power loss which really isn't too bad for a slush bucket.

Couldn't an AWD transfer case just be divorce mounted behind the tranny to make things easier to fabricate/mount?

Just build a little subframe to mount the T-case to and tie it into the frame rails and rear subframe to reduce flex.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BMW has their X-drive system but it looks like it has a driver side T-case...and lots of electronics.

Plus getting your hands on a BMW AWD setup wouldn't be very fun or easy on the pocket.

*edit*

I'm still searching around for front engine RWD based AWD setups... not much out there away from Nissan that would be cheap or readily available.

Another one I cant believe I just thought of...my parents have a Toyota Previa All-Trac 5spd. Since the engine (longitudinally mounted) is under the seats, the front driveshafts must come out in front of the engine which is very rare. Most of the setups like the audi and subaru hang the engine way over the front wheels which sucks for a Z. That being said, the engine is also laying on its side under there so who knows if could be made to work at all. I cant find any pics of the exact layout but I'll look under the van this weekend to see whats up.

Guest MidShipCivic

The GTR 5 speed with the VG (Z32 300zx) front casing won't allow the starter to be there since the drive shaft crosses that space the starter must be relocated.

Most divorced transfer cases I've seen are quite large, and may not easily fit with in the contraints of the S30. Using a 2+2 you could eliminate the rear seats and use that area for the divorced transfer case, what I mean by this is that the tranny/driveshaft tunnel will have to modified to clear the transfer case, and would eat up a lot of interior room. the 2+2 might leave enough space to use a divorced transfer case mounted behind the front seats and have enough distance to have a (very) short drive shaft to the rear diff. The only possible problem with this is that the front prop shaft might need to cut right through the passenger side foot well/seat area.

the Sy/Ty and Astro van AWD transfer cases really become a non-option, since they place the front diff and the front prop shaft on the driver side, that in a car, especially the S30 would not work (I'm speaking LHD here, though this would give even more reason to get a Failrlady Z. :lol: ).

How about an 84-88 Toyota pickup transfer case? 1:1 high range and 2.28:1 low range. Just lock it out of low range unles you need to go 'wheeling or tow something. Plus it outputs on the passenge side!

HERE is a good place to read up on the Toyota T-case.

An adaptor/front cover would probabl need to be made for divorce mounting the case but it may be worth it sine they are readily availale.

As far as using differentials goes:

An R200 out back is good insurance but up front it would be a waste of time, space, and weight as the forward diff is going to handle around half the power that the rear differential is going to feel.

An R180 hardbody/pathfinder diff that is offset to the passenger side an has an extension tube to the divers side would work nicely as far as packaging goes.

In another AWD Z thread BRAAP suggested using an R160 up front, but I do not believe that it would work with the reversed direction of the driveshaft unless the differential is flipped over (which may have possible lubrication problems).

As far as dvorce monting the T-case,

Mounting it by the rear diff would be easy but a long forward driveshaft would need to be fabricated.

If the T-case were right behind/below the passenger seat then servicing individual drivetrain componets would be much more user-friendly.

Whn I sit in the passenger seat of my Z my feet don't even have anything to rest on down there. If a foot rest was built shifted to the far passenger side then I don't think that an obstruction on the tunnel would be much of a bother.

How about an 84-88 Toyota pickup transfer case? 1:1 high range and 2.28:1 low range. Just lock it out of low range unles you need to go 'wheeling or tow something. Plus it outputs on the passenge side!

HERE is a good place to read up on the Toyota T-case.

An adaptor/front cover would probabl need to be made for divorce mounting the case but it may be worth it sine they are readily availale.

A Samurai one would be easier as it is already divorced, gear driven, and PS drop but neither have differentials. It would bind up on the turns pretty bad.

How about fiting SR20 well behind front axle line, plus GT-R gearbox and stand alone front diff (F160). m

You know a V8 is the same length as a 4 banger. +/- a couple inches. Plus you have low RPM torque.

Still trying to figure out a way to either disengage the front wheels for street driving or a t-case with a diff. On the fly shiftng would be great.

How bad would it really scrub to have a locked T-case?

How bad would it really scrub to have a locked T-case?

Bad. Alot worse than a welded rear diff.

I know Toyota FJ80/ FZJ80's (awd) have a bullet proof auto transmission and center diff in the T case that is electric lockable but the trans is huge and the T case isn't small either. It is passenger side drop but not divorced. I have never seen a Patrol case and don't know if it is divorced but I think Nissan stop doing that after the 720.

A limited slip T case would be best or torque split like the GTR . With an open center diff you can still get torque steer powering out of tight turns at low speeds or U-turns, atleast in a Landcruiser.

Oh man those FJ80 trans/t-cases are HEAVY. My second job was working right around the corner from Man-A-Fre and we used to work on those suckers all the time. Using that setup for a car, especially a lightweight car, seems like a really bad idea. Seems WAAAAY too heavy. I guess maybe if you put 700 hp in front of it it might not matter...