HybridZ

Gas mileage improvement idea..

wigenOut-S30

Has anyone ever heard of this? this article states that using 1-3 ounces of 100% Acetone per 10 gallons of Fuel can increase mileage up to 20-35%. Before replying please read the article. I dont know if its true or not but it might be worth trying..

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Has anyone ever heard of this? this article states that using 1-3 ounces of 100% Acetone per 10 gallons of Fuel can increase mileage up to 20-35%. Before replying please read the article. I dont know if its true or not but it might be worth trying..

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Thats a new one for me. I'm not sure I'd risk damaging my fuel pump and fuel injectors, acetone is some nasty stuff. Granted its a very small amount but that could get mighty expensive if it starts to take out seals. BTW does anyone know of a real time MPG indicator that will work on OBD1 systems. The one in the article only works with OBDII on '96 or news cars.

Thats a new one for me. I'm not sure I'd risk damaging my fuel pump and fuel injectors, acetone is some nasty stuff. Granted its a very small amount but that could get mighty expensive if it starts to take out seals. BTW does anyone know of a real time MPG indicator that will work on OBD1 systems. The one in the article only works with OBDII on '96 or news cars.

Thats what I thought too Deja, but the article states that someone tested it with 200% more acetone then one would use by doing this and it had no affect on O rings and other plastic and rubber things.

You know that you can get about 25% better gas mileage than EPA estimates on a 100% stock car with no voodoo?

I got about 23MPG city with my 3.3L Frontier with this last tank. (with tall suspension, big tires, crew cab, hauling heavy stuff from the JY, etc...)

I normally get 17-18mpg with a regular driving style. 17mpg city is the EPA standard for my truck.

No mods to the car at all and no voodoo juice in the gas tank.

You know that you can get about 25% better gas mileage than EPA estimates on a 100% stock car with no voodoo?

I got about 23MPG city with my 3.3L Frontier with this last tank. (with tall suspension, big tires, crew cab, hauling heavy stuff from the JY, etc...)

I normally get 17-18mpg with a regular driving style. 17mpg city is the EPA standard for my truck.

No mods to the car at all and no voodoo juice in the gas tank.

Care to elaborate??

Cole, thanks for the link..

Pulse and glide...

It helps to inflate the tires to the max limit on the sidewall to reduce rolling resistance so you can glide more. For my truck it only really works at speeds under 60MPH because the aerodynamics are HORRID. Just gas it as lightly as possible to get up the hills and coast down. Or just pulse the drivetrain as few times as possible to maintain a good speed on flat ground.

It really is un-necessary to stay on the pedal all the time. Its much easier if you have a manual transmission...

I go WOT and shift before 1,000rpm when I try and save gas on the Explorer. Seems to work pretty well actually, especially in heavy traffic (except I don't typically go WOT in traffic...). Cruise the boulevard at 1,000rpm at 35mph. Only requires a hair of throttle.

I always end up opening it up any way though so I have never really found out how much I could get with only this method. My combined mileage has hit 22mpg though. Rated highway was 21mpg, I think 17mpg city? I can't remember. I also use 35psi in the tires instead of 32psi.

Also EPA rates the vehicles in a certain way. Its not like they just went 65mph constant on the highway for highway MPG. Their is acceleration, decelleration, and a max speed of something like 60mph, average of 48mph.

Pulse and glide...

It helps to inflate the tires to the max limit on the sidewall to reduce rolling resistance so you can glide more. For my truck it only really works at speeds under 60MPH because the aerodynamics are HORRID. Just gas it as lightly as possible to get up the hills and coast down. Or just pulse the drivetrain as few times as possible to maintain a good speed on flat ground.

It really is un-necessary to stay on the pedal all the time. Its much easier if you have a manual transmission...

I just had to look this one up to make sure I wasn't crazy

Pulse and glide

This method consists of accelerating to a given speed (the "pulse"), followed by a period of coasting (the "glide"), and then repeating the process. The glide is most efficient when the engine is not running. Because some cars inject extra fuel when the starter is activated, this was originally best accomplished with a manual transmission.[15] Hybrid vehicles, such as the Toyota Prius, are ideally suited to performing this technique as well: the internal combustion engine as well as the charging system can, be shut off for the glide by simply manipulating the accelerator.[16]

so, from that definition you would really not benefit much more over just driving the car with constant throttle position (assuming flat ground), unless you actually shut down the engine during the glide period. This is how the supermileage (SAE student competition) people are getting higher than 1000mpg, but they SHUT DOWN the engine, until they have to pulse again. And the pulse typically occurs at full throttle, where that little briggs is most efficient.

Also, on the topic of the acetone sounds kinda fishy, but I'm willing to put a few ounces in my tank next time I fill up just to see if its a hoax.

Olie05,

It does work. My truck makes max torque at 2200 RPMs which is nice for acceleration and gas mileage. In the Z I'd have no problem shutting it down to coast and starting it with the clutch but can't do that with my truck since it has all the technology junk.

Obviously you stil are burning fuel while gliding in neutral but you are still saving a good amount of fuel. Around town I can coast from 45-40mph for a long time before needing to speed up again. Full tires and good wheel bearings let you coast for a while. Also having more inertia helps long coasts.

lso if you have a "warm air" intake is supposedly reduces the amount of fuel going into the engine.

Several Geo Metro guys can average in the 65-75 MPG range at decent speeds up to 70MPH.

www.ecomodder.com

is a good forum to read ocassionally if you can bypass their "save the enviroment" arguements.

But in a Z, I agree with MJL and Forrest. Who wants to granny drive a Z ?!?!?!?! WOT is SOO fun!

My brother has tried the acetone thing in his 03 Mini Cooper S. It works. Normally the BEST mpg he can get driving super easy on the highway is 30mpg. With the acetone he was getting up to 31-32mpg for the first time after 3 years of driving the car. He just used a capful of acetone from the acetone bottle every 12 gallons(full tank for him).