HybridZ

Through rear valance exhaust, thoughts?

BillZ260

Anyone done this or seen it done on a S30? I've searched for some stainless flanges to surround the current bumper holes but can't seem to find anything. I'm guessing I am using the wrong search terms. Looking for something w/ 4 or 6 bolt pattern that will screw in place and the exhaust will poke through. Maybe 2-3/4" or 3" ID hole. I'll cut the bumper holes to match.

OR do you prefer the current dumps? They have a muscle car look and sound bad ass, but are a bit loud for distance cruising.

n647374244_645535_810.jpg

Thoughts?

• Administrators

With my ’75 280, I ran dual pipes out the OE bumper holes. Dual 1 ¾” then dual 2” with the L-6, then dual 2 ½" with the V-8. I used angle cut chrome tips for all of them. For the 2 ½” exhaust, I had to open up the holes, mostly making the holes more circular vs the OE oval, was needed for adequate clearance.

Also had to modify the fuel tank to get the passenger side pipe through, (looks like you already have that hurdle cleared). Personally, I think if the exhaust pipes must be a visually seen item, that through the valence gives it a more finished exotic custom appearance.

Here was mine with the dual 2" while it was L-6 powered.

280Z1.jpg

gijonas took the words right out of my mouth.

Looking for something w/ 4 or 6 bolt pattern that will screw in place and the exhaust will poke through. Maybe 2-3/4" or 3" ID hole. I'll cut the bumper holes to match.

standard.jpg

This 4" hole is a little larger, but there is no reason it couldn't be smaller.

I tried the exhaust through the valence but changed my mind and just did the cut outs on the bottom edge. There isn't much room under there for mufflers and putting the exhaust that high even limits more what you can put in. Plus i had a fuel tank filler neck to work around.

z pics 173_thumb.jpg

z pics 175_thumb.jpg

5111_thumb.attach

z pics 189_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...Okay, I won't tell you I made them...

Sorry, I made them. They are 1/8" aluminum. I used a round template and a small filament light bulb to produce a round shadow (visually from directly in back of the car), which if viewed from a perpendicular angle was in reality an oblong hole, to mark the outline. Then I transferred that to the aluminum plate. THEN I had to stretch the plate by hammering on it until it fit the compound curve contour of the rear panel. I was kinda a pain, but the final product made it well worth it.