HybridZ

TR's 260z L28 Build Thread

I'll take a vid soon. :D

Did some more tuning tonight, and I must say it feels goooooood.

Blew the IAC sensor out of the silicone coupler after the first couple runs, not surprising. Fixed that up with a bolt and washer, made a few more runs. I did about 50% throttle to 4500rpm or so, and it already feels quicker than the N/A motor at full tilt.

If I'm calculating things properly, I think my wastegate may be... modified or not working properly. Supposedly I'm hitting around 10psi... and at only 50% throttle. I'm also getting what sounds like some pretty nasty compressor surge, also not surprising since I'm not running any kind of BOV. My roomate has a spare recirculating valve sitting around, so I may try to get one of those fabbed on before I do more tuning tomorrow.

By the end of tomorrow the car should be pretty decently tuned, to the point of driving regularly again. I'm taking it easy on the high rpm and boost areas till I get a feel for things and get some 91 octane in the tank.

I'm not running any kind of BOV either, and I don't seem to have any surge issues from what I can tell. I wonder if my massive exhaust leak might be part of the reason..

I'm also running stock EFI and boost to 6psi with a little bit of creep in 4th sometimes up to 8psi.

I've also talked to guys that said that at 10psi on these engines a BOV is more important than an intercooler.

Well after 5 short days of boosting, my turbo commit suicide.

Had the car at Firestone for an alignment, and when they did the test run the tech said it sounded like the turbo was making "funny noises", and that it wasn't doing it till about halfway through. I limped the car home with it making horrendously scary noises, and come to find out the bearing is toast. Lots of side to side wobble, and the fins are bent.

So, now I'm in the market for a cheap stock T3 to hold me over till the Holset swap. :(

For what many junkyards want for a turbo, I'd just get a used T3 off ebay. I almost picked up a T3/T4 off a merkur but then realized it'd take me enough time for the $80 price tag to not be worth it, and that they'd probably try to find a way to charge me for the downpipe, wastegate, etc.

S130's won't be affected by that bill. Cars more than 25 years of age won't qualify, and anything with less than 18 combined EPA MPG won't qualify either. So that's two ways even the 280ZX Turbo won't qualify (it's combined EPA was around 19-21MPG iirc)

Plus by law the wreckers will be required by law to destroy the drivetrain.

Pretty much no matter what this bill won't help us junkyard dogs.

Just hold out a bit longer... s130's are likely to start flocking to the junkyards as soon as Obama signs this cash for clunkers bill into law :mrgreen:

Start?? I can hardly find them anymore......

Oh, TR, I snapped some pics of that snail and its downpipe, turns out we aren't 100% certain what nissan it came off of (might be Z31T) but I gotta upload them to my photobucket tonight. Probly too much shaft play to use, plus the exhaust housing crack I mentioned (its in the downpipe flange, radiating from the hole for the wastegate to cover.) but I dunno if you can use it for parts or not.

The evaluation of the condition of the turbo is provided to you by my brother, Cobra_tim here on hybridZ. I honestly haven't got a drop of experience to tell me what is how bad in terms of shaft play, but when you try to wiggle it back and forth, or push it forwards and backwards, theres about 1/8" of wobble. maybe half that, but enough that I don't doubt my brother's assessment. I'll get you the pics; PM me your email address and I can just email the full res shots.

Edit

After searching about, the downpipe that we have with the turbo is definietly a Z31 downpipe, so the turbo probly came from a Z31, but its a stock Z31 T3. Like I said, I really don't know much specifically about the turbos, specifically, so I have no idea if you can use anything from it or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was talked into going ahead with the Holset swap instead of tracking down another stock T3, and I've bought some nice goodies get things going... but more on that later.

I don't know why, but my early HY-35 wasn't a bolt on affair like it should have been. Aside from drilling out the bottom two flange holes (knew about that), I also have had to clearance my manifold and make a spacer. Once I account for the spacer and a gasket on each side, I should have about 2mm of clearance between the housing and manifold.

I had a friend cut me a flange to mate to the hotside, and I'll need to pick up some 3" piping to custom make a d/p to interface with my current exhaust setup. Hopefully I'll be able to do most of that tomorrow.

Aside from that, once the rest of my goodies get in i'll need to mock up the intercooler piping, fabricate a bracket for the wastegate actuator, and figure out a way to attach my BOV to the charge pipe (pics of that issue later).

IMG_0011_thumb.JPG

IMG_0012_thumb.JPG

So the holset is officially in. I had it running for awhile, got all the shmootz burned off, everything up to temp.

I'm waiting on some couplers to get the intercooler attached, and I still need to fab a bracket to get the wastegate actuator to work. Also, the hood won't close due to coupler interference, so I need to pull the IC and trim the core support to center it more. After all that it'll be BOOOOST.

I can definitely say that this process was a huge PITA. It's nice to have the holset on, but I wish I had just gotten another T3 to hold me over. But, what's done is done!

IMG_0021_thumb.JPG

My couplers came in yesterday, but I had to go pick them up from the post office this morning. I had a bit of time left over before I had to be in for work, so i went ahead and installed them. The angles aren't perfectly ideal on all of them, but they should work for now. A bit of modification and finagling and I might get a better result, but that'll be for later.

After work I'll fab up a bracket for the stock wastegate actuator, and start tuning!

IMG_0022_thumb.jpg

IMG_0024_thumb.jpg