HybridZ

New MSA catalog........

jbk240z

Today I got the new MSA mini-catalog in the mail and I was excited to check it out. Things were going great, until I turned to page #5. There in the middle of the page, they are offering "lambo" style door kits!!! Arrrrgh!! Lambo doors are fine for some vehicles, but not an S30 Z, IMO.

Anyway, I am just curious if the rest of you find this to be a rediculous thing for a Z, or maybe you like it.

Please post your opinions.

Jason

I helped install one of those cheapie ebay kits on my youngest boy's Honda Civic back in 2005. What a nightmare. They don't stay adjusted, then blow struts, and the material they use for hinges is so thin that eventually the hinge bends out of alignment... My youngest thought it was the coolest thing in the world, for about 3 months. Then he got tired of always having to work on them to keep them aligned... He eventually sold them.

Mike

It's taken me some time, maturety, and experience to realize that some things should be better left to cars they were designed FOR... Look at the Zcar door "frame". It bolts in. There is no way in hell that cheesy, flimsy frame will hold the weight of a stock door... Yea, don't even think about "swapping" in a fiberglass shell of a door... They simply can't hold the hardware for doors and door hardware, which is HEAVY.

Mike

Gullwing, I would try. Now that's classic.

0610_z+1954_mercedes_SL300_gullwing+25_most_beautiful_cars.jpg

I helped install one of those cheapie ebay kits on my youngest boy's Honda Civic back in 2005. What a nightmare. They don't stay adjusted, then blow struts, and the material they use for hinges is so thin that eventually the hinge bends out of alignment... My youngest thought it was the coolest thing in the world, for about 3 months. Then he got tired of always having to work on them to keep them aligned... He eventually sold them.

Mike

They say with the ebay specials there usually cheap garbage. I have seen a few around here(kids whos parents buy there cars and parts) that turn out pretty good. Its the parts you get. The more high-end kits, like 1500+ actually seem to hold up quite well and don't have the flimsyniss problems, actually fairly firm. But there parents spent big bucks, where as there is a few around that have the cheap ones installed, and they sag and you have to hold the door up or it will come down.

Yeah, Ill give someone a dollar If the can go lift up a z door by the frame and it not break.

Theyve been selling these for quite a while. I was pretty shocked when I saw them.

I caried one out of the PnP like that, I didnt care if it broke cause I only wanted the internals, but it didnt break, you owe me a dollar :-D

I personally am not a fan of Vertical Doors on my Z car, but it's a personal preference. If someone decides they want to put them on their car, more power to them. There probaly is a small niche of Z car owners that like the looks of Vertical Doors and thats probaly why MSA offers them. Granted that niche isn't as large as the people who like looks ZG flares and Watanabe's, but if Vertical Doors makes them why not offer them.

ive always hated lambo doors..

but my buddy had one in his civic.. and its actually kinda neat.. its rather unique.. and was cool.

I would never buy one let alone install it on my car. but hey its kinda cool on Honda's

Yeah, I agree, the Lambo doors should stay on the Civics where they belong. lol!