HybridZ

difference in model year bodies

MWittie

I have a '79 280ZX that has the exhaust routed on the driver side only to end up being moved all the way to the passenger side before leaving the car. I know on the '82-'83 cars it exits on the driver side instead. How hard is it to switch a '79 over to this? Is it just a matter of cutting a whole on teh lower valence to clear the pipes or is there a legitimate reason why the exhaust does an "L" shape to exit on the passenger side?

Also does anyone know what body pieces are on this car?

hiro_20001230-img600x450-1038315583.jpg

To me it looks like:

- ZG Flares w/ konig rewinds (guess on sizes?)

- BRE spoiler

- Unknown front end - too dark for me to tell

Thanks,

matt

That front piece is the stock bumper with a lower air dam, similar can be had from motorsport auto. The grill area was custom molded/shaped, several members here have closed the front of their S130's off in the same way. The rear ZG's are the wider variety that 280Zforce may be making a run of from his originals. The rest is off the shelf, nothing special about those vents either... Looks tough!

I have a '79 280ZX that has the exhaust routed on the driver side only to end up being moved all the way to the passenger side before leaving the car. I know on the '82-'83 cars it exits on the driver side instead. How hard is it to switch a '79 over to this? Is it just a matter of cutting a whole on teh lower valence to clear the pipes or is there a legitimate reason why the exhaust does an "L" shape to exit on the passenger side?

Also does anyone know what body pieces are on this car?

hiro_20001230-img600x450-1038315583.jpg

To me it looks like:

- ZG Flares w/ konig rewinds (guess on sizes?)

- BRE spoiler

- Unknown front end - too dark for me to tell

Thanks,

matt

Those wheels are watanabes i believe, i dont6 think that texture of the spokes comes on rewinds.

Matt,

The N/A ZX exited on the right side and the Turbos exited on the left side. You can either change the rear valance or cut out another curve for the muffler tip on the left side. However, if you do that then you will have two exit points. If you can get your hands on a turbo rear valance it would look a lot cleaner, more work involved, but if your not worried about having two openings then just cut the left side.

Good luck,

I've seen exhaust on the S130 done many different ways, but I believe all the chassis are identical in this regard. They all have the same mounting points from what I've seen. So it's just simply getting a rear vallance with a cut for that side, and then having the piping routed.

The extra length was probably added because of nissan trying to get the exhaust resonance low enough. The stock exhaust is nearly silent, impressive for a "sports car"...

That front piece is the stock bumper with a lower air dam, similar can be had from motorsport auto. The grill area was custom molded/shaped, several members here have closed the front of their S130's off in the same way. The rear ZG's are the wider variety that 280Zforce may be making a run of from his originals. The rest is off the shelf, nothing special about those vents either... Looks tough!

That looks like a completly stock bumper cover, I don't think it's been modded in any way. The front air dam is similiar to what MSA offers. The hood vents are stock for 79-81.

This is my car with a kaminari eurathane air damn. MSA offers these.

IMG_0068.jpg