HybridZ

ZG flares or not???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

sorry bit of a grave dig... but did you flare it?

I think it looks abit odd with the wheel sticking out so far, but flared would look awesome!

I love the flare look, but yeah its that cutting the rear gaurd thing thats hard to commit to!

I myself am battling this demon at the moment... to flare or not to flare.... Well i had no quams welding a 12point cage in, but putting a grinder to the rear gaurds...argh! lol I almost wish i had rust in my rear arches, so i wouldnt feel bad about cutting them up!

While im on the subject of wheel fitment on zg'd wells, what the widest i could fit & what offset?

Im thinking 17x9? (i like dish too)

• 2 weeks later...
sorry bit of a grave dig... but did you flare it?

I think it looks abit odd with the wheel sticking out so far, but flared would look awesome!

I love the flare look, but yeah its that cutting the rear gaurd thing thats hard to commit to!

I myself am battling this demon at the moment... to flare or not to flare.... Well i had no quams welding a 12point cage in, but putting a grinder to the rear gaurds...argh! lol I almost wish i had rust in my rear arches, so i wouldnt feel bad about cutting them up!

While im on the subject of wheel fitment on zg'd wells, what the widest i could fit & what offset?

Im thinking 17x9? (i like dish too)

I never did flare it. I ended up selling the HRE's. Likely shouldn't have.

• 1 month later...

Flares, do it, its a car, yes they don't make them anymore, how many are crashed already how many will be crashed? A lot of them, honestly if you like the look, do it, If I had a 69 build date car I would still flare it, some people would hate me for it. I wouldn't really care cause it would be my car.

It was a little difficult for me to drill my perfect front fenders last month when I installed the front flares. The rears are next when the weather is a bit better. I'm not cutting the fenders, however, just adding the flares over the edge of the factory wheel well openings. Looks good and makes me happy. As others have said, it's just a car. I've owned it for 39 good years and it's time to dress it up.

Dennis

It was a little difficult for me to drill my perfect front fenders last month when I installed the front flares. The rears are next when the weather is a bit better. I'm not cutting the fenders, however, just adding the flares over the edge of the factory wheel well openings. Looks good and makes me happy. As others have said, it's just a car. I've owned it for 39 good years and it's time to dress it up.

Dennis

Non-functional ZG flares? Rice rice baby!

*This is a joke, all you people with non-functional ZG flares, please do not cry or get upset.*

Non-functional ZG flares? Rice rice baby!

Yup, just like the majority of flares that are sold - totally cosmetic. Just like the Nissan display Z I saw on the Ginza in Tokyo in 1971. Incidentally, "Rice" is the seed of a monocot plant Oryza sativa. As a cereal grain, it is the most important staple food for a large part of the world's human population.

Now, if you're talking "wannabe", those of us who drive a 240 tend to believe that any Z with a model number bigger than 240 is a wannabe. Fortunately, it's a live and let live world. :-|

Dennis

Yup, just like the majority of flares that are sold - totally cosmetic. Just like the Nissan display Z I saw on the Ginza in Tokyo in 1971. Incidentally, "Rice" is the seed of a monocot plant Oryza sativa. As a cereal grain, it is the most important staple food for a large part of the world's human population.

Now, if you're talking "wannabe", those of us who drive a 240 tend to believe that any Z with a model number bigger than 240 is a wannabe. Fortunately, it's a live and let live world. :-|

Dennis

Some just don't know how/when to keep the pie hole shut, huh....:lmao:

Dennis

LOL, well said. ;)

Now you guys have really got me thinking.I just finished the paint and it seems crazy to cut such fresh paint.I probably will end up with the flairs but i just wanted you guys to see this video becuase i think this guy has one of the nicest looking z to wheel package without flares Check it out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EKuXCTq4Hc&feature=related

Dennis

Actually, I have a 240, and I guess you can't take a joke, and neither can Joel.

Actually, I have a 240, and I guess you can't take a joke, and neither can Joel.

Actually, I can take a joke and always try to give one back. We're all just a bunch of merry pranksters with no ill intentions. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. :)

Dennis

Just an observation...to use the ZG's OR molded in flares to cover wide offset wheels (and I know because those are my old wheels), you HAVE to cut the fenders/inner fender wells to provide outside clearance. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, either flare will strictly be a cosmetic measure.

Your choice - wide fat tires or functional flares.

I have to admit guys, I was SOUR yesterday night because I had 240hoke cut up a CLEAN CLEAN Arizona car to do my ZGs. So, I figure I would make myself feel better by coming down hard on you psdenno.

BUT we finished the install today, and it is gorgeous, I love it! Having the wheels tuck under the flares is so nice.

^^^^I went out there to see the work and Austin was doing a great job of cutting up perfect sheetmetal :mrgreen: I'm sure the finished job looks good, but man, it's painful to watch while you do it. Kinda like watching dentistry while they put in a bridge--it's all yuck until they finish.

Thanks for selling me the flares, Matt :2thumbs: