HybridZ

Dump Pipes

strokerzedd

What brand of dump pipes has anyone been happy with? I understand that almost all aftermarket exhaust manifolds crack so I'm using the stock manifolds and porting them to match my HKS GTRS turbos. But the stock cast dump pipes are really restrictive. Who's happy with what they've got?

I'm putting my RB26 in a 1972 Datsun 240z and there's not a lot of room for a duel exhaust so I'll have to run a single and even modify my 5 speed tanny mount to run the pipe over the mount instead of under it. What size of pipe have 240z RB26 owners been able to put under there?

I have the SS autotrash O2 housings on mine. I believe they are a copy of the HKS ones. I reinforced the welds and haven't had a problem with them yet. I made my downpipe out of 3 inch tubing. The two tubes meet at about the bellhousing and goes to single 3 inch from there.

Brandon

I have the SS autotrash O2 housings on mine. I believe they are a copy of the HKS ones. I reinforced the welds and haven't had a problem with them yet. I made my downpipe out of 3 inch tubing. The two tubes meet at about the bellhousing and goes to single 3 inch from there.

Brandon

I did the same thing.

Q

Fow what engine?

I have a SS (RB20DET) as well, fits fine and no probs. I also have a HKS unit (and Manifold :) )that I received by surprise from Japan when I bought a RB25 turbo. It much better..the material is thicker and the welds are way cleaner. The openings also are much larger and better positioned. Go the HKS if you can...but for the price...SS is a great deal.

Fow what engine?

I have a SS (RB20DET) as well, fits fine and no probs. I also have a HKS unit (and Manifold :) )that I received by surprise from Japan when I bought a RB25 turbo. It much better..the material is thicker and the welds are way cleaner. The openings also are much larger and better positioned. Go the HKS if you can...but for the price...SS is a great deal.

so you're ditching the 2.0 and going with the 2.5 ?

If you get the SS autochrome ones - yes, re-inforce the weld. In addition, before you take it to the welder, take a grinder to the inside to clean up the welds and open up where the wastegate pipe comes back into the main pipe - the fitting is terrible and is fairly easy to clean up. The reason to do it before you take it to be welded up is incase you screw up and go too far - they can fix it. I have the HKS pipes and a good friend with a R32 GT-R picked up the SS parts and we compared them. With a bit of work, they are fairly close to the HKS parts - but the weld quality is absolute crap. The "pretty" weld is purely for cosmetics and you can see through it in areas. I think for the money, with some elbow grease, they are good parts.

-Bob