HybridZ

The truth about MREs and dating!

datsun40146

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was working at b1/al asad iraq last summer the base commander shut down all vehicle traffic on the base becuase of dust storms/ unsafe driving conditions.had to stay in our sea container/break room for lunch.12 hours of nothing to do but eat mre's.mixing them to get something better is an art form.good thing the rent-a-cans were pumped twice a day.i kept some of ther main dish packets (the snacks were always raided first) for dinner in my cube when i didnt fell like taking the time to goto the defac(chow hall ) for dinner.i usually skipped dinner anyway-i ate a full lunch and breakfast.the mre's would be good to pack on my dirt bike when i goto baja for a week ride.

Funny story!

MRE's are not 3000 calories each. If you eat 3 full packages a day you MIGHT get 3000 calories.

I lived off these things while in Iraq and paid close attention to the calories. The biggest calorie item is the "dairy shakes" which are like 450 calories each. In those meals you could expect to get around 12-1300 calories total if you ate everything.

MRE's back when they were first issued. But as Army aviators we soon learned about the effects of the soon developed internal gas and altitude!

It's all fun when the fart contest begins at 5000'.... but quickly ends when someone sh*ts their pants and ruins it for everyone else.

They eventually figured out that the more gaseuos producing MRE's were not to be issued to aviation units .... good times

Great story

I was in the military for a while, and the MRE's ans UGR's we had where better then the food at the dining facillity at most deployed locations. A few years back they did a study and released a bunch of diffrnet meals. The new ones arn't that bad, I guess when your hungry you can eat about anything. The first one I had was in basic training, that was in 1998, the packet of M and M's in the meal had an ad for the 1984 Olimpics on it.

lmao, if you guys get army MRE's look for meal number 6 and number 9 that are in cases labeled "1-15" number 6 gives you a bag of peanut m&m's a chocolate sports bar with chocolate coating, cocoa beverage mix, the spicy gum, and chicken with noodles, just make sure to heat up the main meal before you eat it, putting one next to the turbo of a bradley or the by the exhaust manifolds of a hmmvv while its running heats up better then those little heater packets ever will, or just stick it in the sun for 10 minutes if you in the sand box.

my uncle is in military intelligence (yes us canadians have a military) and I've eaten these when I was younger. It was fun for us as kids and my parents didn't have to cook. :) I remember it wasn't that bad either.

I laughed my arse off at that story btw, just awesome.

For an MRE bomb you take the litle heater pack and crumble it up as fine as you can get it, dump it in an empty water bottle, add about half the water back into the bottle and shake. THROW it and wait about 15 seconds (depending on mixture) and there you go. It was enough to get the MP's called on us a few times. They thought it was gunfire...I guess not a good idea in some locations.

For an MRE bomb you take the litle heater pack and crumble it up as fine as you can get it, dump it in an empty water bottle, add about half the water back into the bottle and shake. THROW it and wait about 15 seconds (depending on mixture) and there you go. It was enough to get the MP's called on us a few times. They thought it was gunfire...I guess not a good idea in some locations.

I've got a few (hundred) MRE heaters and i am so setting one off one at the CQ desk early in the morning while they are half asleep. :flamedevi