HybridZ

Clutch problems

cockerstar

Hey guys,

When I went out to my project car about a week ago I started her up, pushed in the clutch, and when I went to put her into gear I got a surprise. It just grided...

So I pulled my foot off the pedal and to my surprise it stayed on the floor!

The car had been sitting in the garage for about a month without being started in winter weather (down to about 10-15 degrees outside) and hasn't been driven since thanksgiving day.

What could be wrong besides a shot slave cylinder?

Hopefully it just requires a quick bleed, but I'm kind of skeptical because it ran fine when I parked it a few months ago.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best bet would be to double check all the connections. Clutch slave to the pedal, check the lines to the clutch slave. Might even have to check inside the transmission to make sure the fork and bearing are o.k. as well. Not much can go wrong with the clutch. Just need to study it a little.

Slave cylinders are notorious for drawing moisture and going bad. My guess is that's what's wrong. Try bleeding it.

If that solves it, replace the slave cylinder, and when the cylinder is disconnected from the bottom of the hydraulic line, run some denatured alcohol through the circuit by pouring it through the reservoir and letting it leak out. Then install the slave cylinder and refill the clutch circuit with DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid. The DOT 5 fluid won't draw moisture that corrodes the slave cylinder. This greatly extends the service life of the slave cylinder. (BTDT)

I used to go through a slave cylinder every 4-5 years in my 280ZX when living in Texas humidity. I came up with the DOT 5 idea and haven't had to change the slave cylinder again.

You know, this might explain why there was a bottle of brake fluid sitting in the engine bay behind a few relays when I bought the car...

HAHAHA

Yea, I learned this myself. When a car comes with parts and/or some random fluids you should look into WHY that might be... There's most likely a reason.

I had asked about it but the guy got the car as a payment of debt. Some guy owed him some cash, but he was lacking funds so he paid him with the car. I bought the car for cheap. Everyone's happy :)

Here's some pictures of you guys care. It was in pretty dismal condition the night that I got her, but it looks a lot worse that I;m thinking it is. It would be an absolute perfect driveling donor if I needed one! Notice the red cap on the brake fluid in the last pic? Guess it was behind some reservoirs, not relays...

DSCN1047.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

DSCN1039.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

not a good idea to buy a car that comes in multi colors been made of parts. but the price was right. dump the black fluid in the clutch hydraulic system and replace master and slave. they run like 30 35 each at schucks. course if you drive across the river you can save the tax. of course this is assuming that the pressure plate is actually working and not rusted out.

Bled out the lines and now everything is running great as far as the clutch goes :)

At first it was just a solid jet of air!

Now I think I'm being killed by the notorious electrical problems s130's are known for. The car starts right up on a jump, but after about a second and a half after the cables are removed she dies. With a fresh battery out of my accord she runs for about ~7 minutes.

Consistent with a shot alternator?

Also, my right turn signal is always on now :S

I'm thinking that it is a side effect from low voltage making it to the system?