HybridZ

Opinions.... which one looks better?

jbc3

Forgive me for this highly technical, complex, detailed question :D

I made a simple fuel rail cover from a sheet of aluminum and polished it. The color in the pictures looks funny since it is reflecting the ugly garage ceiling.(mirror finish) These things look great, but there is going to be maintenance with these keeping them polished up nice....I have the plastic (no maintenance) Corvette FR covers already. Which one ???

Shiny - high maintenance (unique)

Plastic - low maintenance (ones that everyone has)

I still need to weld the studs in the passenger side valve cover so I can relocate the plug wires like the driver side.

(My quest to pretty up under the hood)

Jody

fr-cover3.JPG

fr-cover4.JPG

I've been toying with that idea myself. I just got the plastic ones installed and like them but after seeing yours I'm thinking aluminum again. Thanks Jody, I need another project, LOL. One issue though, will the aluminum hold heat around the injectors and have some effect on them? Maybe some slots cut in them like the palstic ones would be a good idea.

Hmmm.... maybe that is why the stock ones have the slots cut in them... It's hard to see, but the aluminum ones are not tight to the fuel rail and there is a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the rail and the cover. Plenty of breathing room.

I got the idea from the Impala guys http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/superstore40/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=36&cat=Billet+Aluminum

Theirs don't have any holes either.

Jody

I've been toying with that idea myself. I just got the plastic ones installed and like them but after seeing yours I'm thinking aluminum again. Thanks Jody, I need another project, LOL. One issue though, will the aluminum hold heat around the injectors and have some effect on them? Maybe some slots cut in them like the palstic ones would be a good idea.

Then again the slots could just be decorative. I saw another set for Z28s made of aluminum and they didn't have slots either. Here's a pict, maybe it will give you some ideas. Looks like they mount theirs different.

LT1-Fuel-Rail-Covers.jpg

Hmmm.... maybe that is why the stock ones have the slots cut in them... It's hard to see, but the aluminum ones are not tight to the fuel rail and there is a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the rail and the cover. Plenty of breathing room.

I got the idea from the Impala guys http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/superstore40/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=36&cat=Billet+Aluminum

Theirs don't have any holes either.

Jody

Would a 'satin' finish (600 or higher grit or scotchbrite pad) have the same maintenance issues? MPO that might look as cool.

Been contemplating the same thing myself.

Hijack alert and apologies: Is that a for real LT4 intake or did you paint it? If the latter, how much prep work did you do (i.e., did you sand off the casting bumps?) and what type of paint did you use?

Putting the same finish on the intake ribs and fuel rail covers would give a nicely uniform look.

In any case, cool ride. Congrats.

Best -- Gary

My intake is a real LT4 intake. They are powdercoated.

There are a bunch of different fuel rail covers out there. I have seen so many at the car shows where LT1's were transplanted into old hotrods. Many of them have fiberglass covers that are painted to match the car and even more have the stock covers similar to the black ones I have. I want something a little different. The more I look at the aluminum one, the more I like it. I had a sheet of aluminum plenty large enough to make both covers, so the price was right :-)

I was also thinking of trying to tape off an area and sand blast either a design or pattern too.

The down side to the aluminum ones or any of the ones that bolt on, is if you do have an issue, they don't snap right off like the stock ones. Maybe I can get or make stud type bolts or replace the stock bolts where the covers can easily be removed and the fuel rails can be left alone.

Jody

I'm with Z48LT-1 - forget the polished stuff - you'll hate keeping it looking nice. I'd do as he says, and brush it. I did that to the AL radiator bracket/top cover I used to run. I used a piece of wood with a guide to run along the edge, and some sand paper. Nice brushed finish with the grain all parallel - looked good and no maintenance.

Well, I made the other side and decided to tape off a pattern and slip them into my glass beader. I am not an artist, so I kept the pattern simple and straight. I actually think it looks pretty decent. The pictures make it look like the pattern is painted white, but there is no paint.

Jody

fr-1.jpg

fr-2.jpg