HybridZ

R200 NLA Front Pilot Bearing

rudypoochris

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guy told me today that a '90 Infiniti M30 uses the same bearing in the diff. I don't know if this is true, if so, might be easier to find.

Good luck.

90 M30 should have a short nose R200. A short nose R200 won't have a pilot bearing at all. It might have the same tapered roller pinion bearings though.

Not sure about this as I am not a subaru type guy. I know the sub's have the long nose R160 and R180's but I believe there are R200's used on the newer larger subaru's does anyone know if these are long nose or short nose? If long nose it might be just a matter of checking the Subaru partnumber and see if this is still available - remember that this has been found out before - just because the original partnumber comes back as NLA does not always mean that the part is NLA - I recall reading (not sure if here or another zed forum) but Nissan USA said a part was NLA but someone found out the same part was used on a 720 truck and it had a different partnumber but this part was available.

I have been using the incorrect terminology I believe, the bearing is actually the front PILOT bearing. If an admin could rectify the title that would be peachy!

Done. It's still a pinion bearing, but pilot is more accurate.

Just to make sure I am understanding this right... Image below:

You are correct in all of your statements below with regards to which bearing is which and so on. I think the pilot bearing is going to be held in place by the spacer. The spacer sits on the inner race, but if it doesn't go anywhere the outside race isn't going to move either. So I think the lip on your spacer is unnecessary. The spacer itself can only move deeper into the diff, so to combat that I would put the lip on the outside rim of the spacer. Sorry, no cool cad software here but I did some very crappy photoshop editing to show you what I mean. This lip will push the seal out, but I don't think the lip needs to be the that strong because there isn't any force there, you're just trying to keep the spacer from vibrating down into the housing. So I'm thinking if it were really thin, maybe .030" or something than the spacing might not matter. Or I suppose it might be possible to cut the seal down a bit.

pilotspacer.jpg

Interesting points all around. I will do some reading, looking into the Subaru diff (I think R200's are in the Legacys now...), and so on. I will probably also attempt to contact a custom bearing manufacturer tomorrow to see what they can do in an order size less than 5,000,000.

EDIT: I can't seem to find that Subaru R200 rear end...

Would the smaller pilot bearing suffer a lack of lubrication, since it's outer race has been "raised" 7.5mm by the spacer ^up^ and out of the gear oil at the floor of the housing snout?

That is a possibility.

I am finding out about a possible lead on a renumbered Nissan version of this same bearing that NZeder tipped me off too. I also called Champion Bearings and told them the dimensions and the use. They are trying to whip up a quote for 25 pieces of a hybrid bearing to with stand the conditions (incl. metal shavings and starvation). They recommended ceramic balls with SS races. We shall see...

EDIT: The part number for the possible alternative bearing is: 38335-N3220. NZeder tipped me off to it using the Nissan FAST (dealer part search) system. It is available through courtesyparts.com for $46. I have ordered one and will confirm if it is the correct size.

That is a possibility.

I am finding out about a possible lead on a renumbered Nissan version of this same bearing that NZeder tipped me off too.

Here is the tip. The partnumber 38335-N3100 that you guys are looking for I assume is a pre 80's etc partnumber ie before Nissan computerised the deal network etc this number does return as NLA but here is what I did

"Well I thought I would pass on what I have just found out about the R200 bearing that is meant to be NLA. You just need to know more about where Nissan used the R200's. Here in NZ we are lucky to have a number of JDM imports so we see lots of these different cars.

Anyway we mainly get our R200 these days from these JDM imports (260z/300zx with R200 you just don't see wrecking anymore).

These cars are R30/R31 (Skyline), C31/C32 (Laurel), Y31 (Cedric), SY31 (Gloria), Z31 (300zx), F30/F31 (Leopard) just to name a few

So this prompted me to check the Japanese copy of Nissan FAST that I have. So I picked on the R30 range for my searching. And the partnumber returned was 38335-N3200 which I then used to check if they number had been replaced and yep with 38335-N3210 and then 38335-N3220

I then put the partnumber I had found into the Nissan PartMaster part of FAST for all the versions I have. The Europe version came back with S130 as using the 38335-N3200 part so this tell me that the 10mm versions of the R200 also use/can take this same bearing. Now given this number has been replaced with 38335-N3220 I figured a quick google would show if some one still sells the part.

Anyway 38335-N3220 is the last version of the partnumber for

bearing in question and it is still available."

Courtesy Nissan have it listed at

$46.24 see

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=38335-N3220&Category_Code=

So there you go about 1 hour of my time and some thought you have a different partnumber to try :) and as Edited above Chris will let us know if the sizing is the same :) :) :)

Cheers

Mike

bjhines had a pretty good idea with his cooler that might solve that bearing issue. He had the pump dump the cool oil into the passage that leads to that bearing. I think the problem is it's so far away from the sump and if you're going uphill there isn't likely to be very much oil getting to it.

Slightly off subject, but worth noting. If this has been mentioned before, my bad, but the later Z31 long nose R200's have a slightly refined casting incorporating an extra oil path between the front bearing and carrier area on the underside. I've only exclusively used the newer casting and cannot offer any comparison to the older ones but I've yet to have a front bearing failure under exclusive road racing conditions.

Also, assuming the drive flange angles are correct, IMO raising the rear of the diff to compensate for a lowered car/half-shaft angles can only help supply more oil up there.

That's interesting. The two bearing failures I've seen in person were with the 87-89 R200 LSD diffs, so I would assume that they are the later versions.

Yes, that IS interesting, pehaps it worsened the condition, I have no idea, but I have a difficult time believing Nissan would make a change like this "on the fly" without any R&D.

Well I downloaded Nissan FAST (dealer parts search engine) and it seems like this bearing is going to fulfill my need since it is marked as a replacement for my 1986 R200 case. If oil starvation really is an issue, Champinon Bearings said they can hybridize the bearing by putting ceramic balls in it. They claim the wear is greatly reduced and that the bearing can run pretty much dry. All that good stuff, I will think on it and send them one of these bearings to get a quote.

Seems to me this thread might need to be titled "R200 NLNLA Front Pilot Bearing" pretty soon... we can only hope!

I forgot to thank NZeder and rudypoochris for the bearing info, and the ceramic app is quite interesting! I have to agree with Mr. Coffey, it’s out there in aftermarket form, just have to know where to look. With that said my parts guy was unable to source it. Not sure if this has been posted either, but here are the National part numbers for the remaining bearings (excluding spider gears) and seals:

2011 Front seal

223542 Side seals

32306C Front pinion bearing (tapered)

32307 Rear pinion bearing

30209C Carrier bearings L&R

The part came in! It appears to be correct based off of measurements I took with my scale... I do not have a micrometer though, but I am pretty sure it is the right part. The Nissan PN is:

38335-N3220

It is stamped "Koyo83601ASH" - Japan.

This bearing is available for ~$47 on courtesynissan.com.

I am going to inquire about the cost of fitting it with ceramic balls just for kicks.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with the ceramic ball ebaring guy. he is going to hybridize this bearing with ceramic balls for me for ~$100. I am 75% interested in seeing how it comes out, 25% interested in the claimed extended service life and minimized friction. In any case, he says he can do 25 pieces in FULL ceramic (silicone nitride) for $100 a pop. That is double the courtesy price, but it might be worth it for some... I honestly would be more interested in doing a full kit on this differential since I would think the large side bearings would be the biggest power sappers.

Bearing2_thumb.jpg

The part came in! It appears to be correct based off of measurements I took with my scale... I do not have a micrometer though, but I am pretty sure it is the right part. The Nissan PN is:

38335-N3220

Great detective work NZeder and rudypoochris! I think I’ll order a couple for spares. Considering that the most of the R200’s have 100K+ miles on them before re-build, I’ll be content with using the stock (non-ceramic) bearing.

Chris et al,

Many Thanks! This is the last tidbit that has been keeping me from redoing my r200 and adding in all of the goodies that I have been hoarding over the last couple of years.

I love this place...

Jay

38335-N3220

This bearing is available for ~$47 on courtesynissan.com.

Excellent I am pleased it is correct I was 99% sure it was going to be so that make me feel better about spending the time to hunt down this number in the first place.