HybridZ

Side-Draft RB

savageskaterkid

I've heard its a big thing to do triple side-draft RB's in Japan. If so, how come I can't find anything on it, at all. The only thing I find is people who want to do it, then someone bashing them for having a stupid idea. I've seen Rock Auto's site, but they don't really say anything about it, just have a couple pictures. Does anybody know of a place that would sell a manifold or something?

Also, when you do this, what do you do with the ignition, seeing as how the RB is a coil pack motor, can still use the CAS without the ecu?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by side draft do you mean side draft carbs? personally, i think its not a good idea because your going from fuel injection which is good, to carbs, which isn't so good as far as tuning. if you want to do ITB's on a RB, now that would be awesome. its just that there is alot of work because if you start with a turbo RB, you have to raise compression because RB's have low compression for N/A setups. also, who the HELL would want to put carbs on a RB26? i hope you wanna do a RB20 or 25 or even 30, not the RB26DETT. please don't carb that thing...lol... so i guess what you want to do is find a N/A RB20(cheap on ebay) and see if a GTR intake manifold would fit(they have ITB's) and find some bigger ITB's to put on it, then figure out what your doing for tuning...hope that gives you some direction...

ts just that there is alot of work because if you start with a turbo RB, you have to raise compression because RB's have low compression for N/A setups.

also, who the HELL would want to put carbs on a RB26? i hope you wanna do a RB20 or 25 or even 30, not the RB26DETT. please don't carb that thing...lol...

so i guess what you want to do is find a N/A RB20(cheap on ebay) and see if a GTR intake manifold would fit(they have ITB's) and find some bigger ITB's to put on it, then figure out what your doing for tuning...hope that gives you some direction...

First off there are tons of NA RB motors out there its just that no one stateside wants one so therefore no one talks about it. The RB26 is not the only RB motor and I'm pretty sure thats not what he meant in the initial post.

Secondly the 26 ITB manifold will not bolt up to the 25 or 20 head.

Some of the RB's came with distributors and not coil packs. Find an Imported and mention exactly what you want. I highly doubt anyone would advertise one online.

I think it would be kind of neat to see something like an RB25 with triple side drafts in a Z.

Meshing the past with the present. The sound of triples is awesome too.

This is exactly what I'm going after, it seems like an awesome idea. RB's sound awesome, correct? Triple side-drafts on an RB seems like it would be such a great sound, and look pretty cool. There were N/A RB motors, not all were turbo. You can buy an RB longblock for fairly cheap. I got carbs. I'd just need a manifold, and header or something, and I'd be good to go.

A nice N/A RB25(I've seen 10:1 compression online, but can't really verify that) in the Z, with triples would scream, and have bit of torque to light up some tire I would think.

by side draft do you mean side draft carbs? personally, i think its not a good idea because your going from fuel injection which is good, to carbs, which isn't so good as far as tuning. if you want to do ITB's on a RB, now that would be awesome. its just that there is alot of work because if you start with a turbo RB, you have to raise compression because RB's have low compression for N/A setups. also, who the HELL would want to put carbs on a RB26? i hope you wanna do a RB20 or 25 or even 30, not the RB26DETT. please don't carb that thing...lol... so i guess what you want to do is find a N/A RB20(cheap on ebay) and see if a GTR intake manifold would fit(they have ITB's) and find some bigger ITB's to put on it, then figure out what your doing for tuning...hope that gives you some direction...

Can you tell me why carb'n an RB26 would be a bad idea?

This is exactly what I'm going after, it seems like an awesome idea. RB's sound awesome, correct? Triple side-drafts on an RB seems like it would be such a great sound, and look pretty cool. There were N/A RB motors, not all were turbo. You can buy an RB longblock for fairly cheap. I got carbs. I'd just need a manifold, and header or something, and I'd be good to go.

A nice N/A RB25(I've seen 10:1 compression online, but can't really verify that) in the Z, with triples would scream, and have bit of torque to light up some tire I would think.

If you have a good lead on an RB26, you can use most of the stock EFI equipment. the Injectors should be good for whatever power you can make out of the engine in N/A form anyway.

I'm just waiting on my RB26 that I've paid 70% for. It's coming with the long block, ITB's, short manifold, no exhaust manifold, no turbos, all sensors, all efi, ignition, and wiring, and no ecu + a set of HKS Cams and Cam gears ontop of the stock ones. I got that for 2100 CAD. considering an RB26 with everything included goes from anywhere between 3800 - 4600, transmission included, I think it's not a bad deal when you include the cams (1500 without them).

There is a Solex 50mm triple carb'd RB31 in an S130 floating around in japan, NZeder sent me the link to it, but I can't access my hosted mail. It's a claimed 365hp, and apparently, "Feeling it is good, it is". :hs:

Couple my build with everything listed in my sig, which Racinjitter can verify that I have most of what's listed there, with a bit more stuff, and some things not yet made (exhaust and intake), I'm setting my goals pretty reasonably high. If I don't reach them, changes are to be made =)

but I've been feeling that building an N/A engine is as involved as a turbo engine, except you're doing things a bit backwards, which I'm known to do, so this is right up my alley. :D

I SAY DO IT!

Can you tell me why carb'n an RB26 would be a bad idea?

sure, i'd love too, because you would LOSE POWER. your taking the holy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ grail of the nissan engine lineup, stripping everything that makes it holy (twin turbos) and slapping on some 60's and 70's technology, lowering the power output, screwing up the tuning (do you really think you can get EVERY cylinder tuned correctly on 3 sidedraft carbs? probalby close, but not perfect, not a problem on a single cam 12 valve L series motor, but an RB!). the engine costs like 4-5k complete if your lucky, and your gonna put CARBS! c'mon. i can see this with an RB20 or 30, but not the GTR motor, please not the GTR motor.

its like buying a ferrari and slapping a pinto motor in it. i understand this is hybridz, and we support odd ideas, but mikuni's on a rb26 is sacreligious.

sure, i'd love too, because you would LOSE POWER. your taking the holy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ grail of the nissan engine lineup, stripping everything that makes it holy (twin turbos) and slapping on some 60's and 70's technology, lowering the power output, screwing up the tuning (do you really think you can get EVERY cylinder tuned correctly on 3 sidedraft carbs? probalby close, but not perfect, not a problem on a single cam 12 valve L series motor, but an RB!). the engine costs like 4-5k complete if your lucky, and your gonna put CARBS! c'mon. i can see this with an RB20 or 30, but not the GTR motor, please not the GTR motor.

its like buying a ferrari and slapping a pinto motor in it. i understand this is hybridz, and we support odd ideas, but mikuni's on a rb26 is sacreligious.

As much as I respect your opinion, there are a couple of things that I would like to point out.

Some racing classes that certain people are competing in can only allow certain sized engines, and turbo chargers are considered added displacement.

If I were to go N/A (and I am), I would use a standalone EFI, (and I will).

4-5k complete... but just so you know, Nissan did develop some non-turbo RB26's from factory (while limited, they exist), AND you can get a bare engine (as I am) for about 2/5th's of the price of the turbo-equipped imported blocks. OR, you could buy the complete engine, and sell the misc stuff you don't need and make about 1000 - 1500 back in parts. so essentially, it can cost you anywhere from 2500-3500 for an RB26D.

I'll also mention you also save 100 - 200 lbs in the engine bay, which would really help out with the weight issue of all the > 2.0 iron 6's that nissan makes.

Couple that with some fibreglass or CF flares, hood, and and some lightweight wheels. Perhaps a bare interior, smaller fuel cell, and you have a mid 11, to low 12 second N/A car. For an N/A car, that's pretty damn good. Not everyone wants to be the fastest, and perhaps the reason for asking was based on the procurement of a cheap bare-bones RB26 (as I've done).

I do agree with the turbos being superior, and I love the feel of the factory or lightly tuned Skyline GTR, but let me be the first to say that I completely respect the ability of some people to sacrifice power in the name of unconventional alternatives.

My reason for an NA RB26/30 is because I want to keep the nostalgic essence of the NA form that this car came in (76), as well as the I6, with the additional advancement of today's modern day EFI tunin and OHC valve control whilst using a Nissan made powerplant.

Is that insane? :hs:

sure, i'd love too, because you would LOSE POWER. your taking the holy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ grail of the nissan engine lineup, stripping everything that makes it holy (twin turbos) and slapping on some 60's and 70's technology

Turbos are NOT the end all to making power. They are just like everything else and have ups and downs. Maybe he wants a broader torque and power curve so he doesn't have to spin 7k RPM to see peak horsepower. Just because the technology is old doesn't mean it's worthless, either.

also, you can perfectly tune triples. It takes work and knowledge but you can do it. Besides, in his first post, he never mentioned using the GT-R engine.

Just an RB series engine. Say you had a lead on an RB26 engine, no intake manifold, no exhaust manifold, just the long block (i think that's the right term) and it was cheap because it didn't come with all that. You could pick it up, put on some headers, a triple setup and of you go. Some classes have restrictions on what kind of setup you can have. There are also classes like stated above, where power adders are calculated as added displacement.

and what if you wanted to enter a class that restricts you with carbs and the manufactures engine (nissan in a nissan no efi) if you stuck with the stock L-series, you'd be restricted on power, but if you carbed an RB you can obtain a lot more power.

I love the idea. I hadn't thought of it before, but it's a really wicked idea.

Quit posting stuff like this! It keeps me thinking of going NA with mine. My pistons have not been cut down for a lower compression yet. Right now I can get into the 10:1 CR range easily.

I kind of equate it to doing an S20 DOHC swap with a more modern twist. Not many of the S20DOHC's were ever produced.

Think of the fun you could have putting 432 badges on the side of your Z? 4 valves, 3 throttle bodies or carbs, and 2 cams.

63fa_1.JPG

but just so you know, Nissan did develop some non-turbo RB26's from factory (while limited, they exist),
Not quite true. Nissan did not make the RB26DE it was the turning house AUTECH. You can purchase these cars/engine in Japan but they are not listed on any of Nissan's part or model line up so parts can be almost impossible to get.

I too am going to build a N/A with triples still not 100% if it will be with DCOE throttle bodies that I have to DCOE carbs - depends if I want to put the car on the track, as local rules might mean I need carbs.

My engine will be RB30DE made from a 30 bottom and 26 head.

Why the 26 head - simple solid lifters = more revs = which is good for N/A power. I could have used a 25 head and converted to solid lifter but then the $$ is up to what I go my whole 26 engine for and I sold the block to make it cheaper. The engine was minus plenum and ITB but had the short manifold which I will make adapter plate to go from the RB26 ITB pattern to DCOE (bores are the same just different bolts spacing) and no turbo manifold or turbos. If some people think that is wrong - they can have their opinions but it is my engine and I will build the way I like.

i know he didn't mention the GT-R engine, im just asking he just not use THAT engine. if you read my post, i mentioned he could use a RB20, 25 or even 30. also, if you read his post, he never said anything about "classes" or restrictions, so i think he just wants a fun car powered by an RB with mikuni's which is FINE in my opinion...

i just can't see why, if someone doesn't have to adhere to a racing class or restrictions, the would take a RB26DETT, strip the turbos and ITB's off it, spend a bunch of money raising compression, porting and polishing for N/A power and then throwing carbs on it, and thinking it would be somewhat better or funner than the stock rb26dett? even with higher compression, race gas, a super expensive port job with larger backcut valves, 50mm carbs, and all the other N/A tricks, i doubt the power would come even CLOSE to the stock output, or a stock block with boost raised a psi or two...nitrous might help making it a little more fun, but theres just more money spent for forged pistons, a decent nitrous setup, etc...

also, who here knows where to find a sidedraft manifold for an rb26? with linkage? with everything you need for it to work? theres even MORE money buying the only one of 3 maybe made in japan, or having one custom made....its just a money pit, and he's a "skaterkid" not "millionairekid" so i don't think moneys not an option on this one.

i know he didn't mention the GT-R engine, im just asking he just not use THAT engine. if you read my post, i mentioned he could use a RB20, 25 or even 30. also, if you read his post, he never said anything about "classes" or restrictions, so i think he just wants a fun car powered by an RB with mikuni's which is FINE in my opinion...

i just can't see why, if someone doesn't have to adhere to a racing class or restrictions, the would take a RB26DETT, strip the turbos and ITB's off it, spend a bunch of money raising compression, porting and polishing for N/A power and then throwing carbs on it, and thinking it would be somewhat better or funner than the stock rb26dett? even with higher compression, race gas, a super expensive port job with larger backcut valves, 50mm carbs, and all the other N/A tricks, i doubt the power would come even CLOSE to the stock output, or a stock block with boost raised a psi or two...nitrous might help making it a little more fun, but theres just more money spent for forged pistons, a decent nitrous setup, etc...

also, who here knows where to find a sidedraft manifold for an rb26? with linkage? with everything you need for it to work? theres even MORE money buying the only one of 3 maybe made in japan, or having one custom made....its just a money pit, and he's a "skaterkid" not "millionairekid" so i don't think moneys not an option on this one.

There's a 400 hp EFI RB30DE in NZ, and there's a 365hp Carb'd RB31DE, so I don't see what's so hard. And 400hp is more than enough to pounce on a lot of things currently on the road.

maybe "skaterkid" skates for millions of dollars =)

who are we to say. I'm not a millionaire, but I'm 3/8's of the way through the engine process. :oops:

There's a 400 hp EFI RB30DE in NZ, and there's a 365hp Carb'd RB31DE,

400HP efi, fuel injected, okay, lets toss that out the window...

rb31de carb'd? okay, maybe you put the E on accidentally, but the E stands for EFI, so how can it be a carb'd EFI engine? im guessing that was a mistake and its cool we all make em.

anyways, those are both rb30 motors, the largest of the rb series (as far as i know) and one of them is punched up (not by much) to a 3.1 but even still, there has to be some major work done to those because the rb30's are single cams, and they have to have a dohc head fitted on first, unless you find the super rare rb30de from the kaira m30 aka r31 gts-r. even still, the rb30de came with only 237hp, so alot of work would have to be done for that additional 100hp. where the rb25de has around 188hp even more work would have to be done to get it in the 250 or so range where it would be really fun....