HybridZ

Side-Draft RB

savageskaterkid

i am kinda wondering why you would want to carb an engine that was never ment to run with carbs. you could more easily do it to an L series engine with about the same result and with alot less money.

if you are going for the old prince motors (S20) feel with newer stuff there are better ways to do it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that you could actually use the L28 trans behind the RB motor, but the idea is frowned upon as it won't handle the abuse of an RB25DET over a long period of time. But since this is N/A, and not too much more power then a stock L28, that it should handle quite well for awhile. It would also make it a bolt in affair(cheap) where I wouldn't need a new driveshaft or have to make a trans mount.

IIIIII don't think that is correct. Not with out a custom adapter plate or the like.... Where did you see that info posted? I'm pretty darn sure thats incorrect info.

Anybody else back me up on this.... :D

i think you should go foward with it but tuning triples are a pain, if you dont know how, thats what i was gonna do to my turbo motor for my z and do the FI conversion, it wouldnt be hard to fab somthing to fit the manifoild to the rb26 head, you just gotta find a place that makes metal plates, the only reason why i would go with the tripples ITB is cause more air and fuel= more hp but the reason why i would go with them tripples and FI is cause you can not only eliminate the hassale of tuning carbs but if you think about it you can put some 550 or 770 injectors in it and keep it a ITB n/a motor and if you want, with the turn of a wrench and a new manifoil gasket you can easily mount a turbo or twin turbo setup on it, that was gonna be my conversion for my turbo cause its a easy way to stay n/a and have hp or go turbo and have crazy hp =) but if you really want to do it i would go to google.com and type in tripple weber fuel injection and it will bring up the web site that sells all the stuff you need to make it happen captin, good luck! ><

-

While I don't really "get" the idea of carbing an RB engine, its original and worth a try. However if your not stuck on using an RB why don't you use one of the toyota 4's that are swapped into the Ae86 corolla's ( I can't remember the engine code) they have 5 valves per cylinder and I think ITB's to boot. There also a bout the same price as the RB you are going to start with and make good power as well as spinning like 9k or something silly. So you have your old school/new school thing taken care of as the engines are pretty recognizable, as well they make good power and rev. To top it all there not an arm and a leg and have an after market, to my knowledge this would also be an original swap.

I guess the idea of this thread is that guy is interested in keep it Nissan and in-line six. If some of us could get an S20 engine we would put these in but given they are hard to get and RB's can be found I assume this is why some of us are looking at doing these conversions.

IIIIII don't think that is correct. Not with out a custom adapter plate or the like.... Where did you see that info posted? I'm pretty darn sure thats incorrect info.

Anybody else back me up on this.... :D

Well you could - I wouldn't but you could - you see I have an RB gearbox in my garage with an L series bellhousing on it - same mod like the KA box mod you guys do in the US (KA are like hens teeth down here but RB stuff is easy to find, RB20/25/26 and 30's) so there is nothing stopping you from going the other way around and install a RB bellhousing on a L28 box. Again I would not do it as to get the RB bellhousing you have to first get a RB box = just put that in.

But I could get my other L28 bellhousing and see if it will mate up to my RB30 block tomorrow when I visit the workshop after work? Again I still would not do it as even if it did line up the gearbox would be on the wrong angle = gear leave would be sticking out the side of the gearbox tunnel so to fix this an adaptor would be required or as above RB bellhousing so you then come back to getting a RB gearbox......and around and around we go :)

if you are going for the old prince motors (S20) feel with newer stuff there are better ways to do it.
do tell :D For me the RB is a good choice = CC with the RB30 bottom end and still a Nissan motor (mine will be with triple TB's as I have these already along with an after market ECU - just need to mod the fuel system)

has absolutly nothing to do with the S20 whatsoever. I like the look of the motor, I think they sound great, they have a nice off-boost pull in turbo form. With some good cams, and mikuni's, I'm sure it would make a nice N/a motor.
the sound ohh the sound....speaking of which here is the sound of a RB26DE yes that is right a RB26DE as in an engine from a wrecked AUTECH R32 Skyline that has been installed in a R31 Skyline.

http://www.nzeder.net/phpws/images/videos/MVI_0061.wmv

EDIT: Now this is a video and some pics of a RB25D power S30 from rockyauto in Japan. So it is a carb'd RB25 so this is what they sound like

http://www.nzeder.net/phpws/images/videos/video001.wmv 1.7MB

Click images links for images

http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/stock/img_show.php?id=1641&img=photo2&size=l

http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/stock/img_show.php?id=1641&img=photo3&size=l

http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/stock/img_show.php?id=1641&img=photo4&size=l

http://www.rockyauto.co.jp/stock/img_show.php?id=1641&img=photo5&size=l

It's been posted a million times, specifically by me.

FS5W17A, B, and C models (A and B didn't come with 3rd and 5th gear synchros, I think) came on:

L28's with 5speed that weren't T5's

CA18DET

RB20DET

RB25DE

SR20DE

KA24E,DE.

The bell housing will need to be from an RB20 or 25, or you could use a KA bell housing, and make a small adapter of sorts (i've been told).

Really the only advantage is the smaller gears = less reciprocating mass/parasitic loss, and lighter weight as well as shorter gearing.

A little off topic on the gearbox stuff but I found here in NZ from a Japanese imported Laurel that was fitted with LD28 a factory (by the look) FS5W71C with L6 bellhousing :) I have not pulled to see what the gears ratios are like but I was amazed to see just a box I had heard of them but it was like an urban myth I thought (I believe only came on these last of the LD28 that were manual = very rare)

Ok found this today and thought I would share. Looks like this place in Japan do a DCOE manifold for the RB's. Here is link :) also shows pics of a RB20DE which has RB26 crank = RB24DE ie same bore/stroke as the L24 at 83mm bore and 73.7 stroke running 12.1:1 CR and triple TWM Throttle Bodies.

http://home.att.ne.jp/delta/ner/RB20DE.html

Hey guys sorry if its been mentioned already BUT why go carbs? if you want NA pull the turbos off make a header and tune it for no boost. I actually ran mine with the turbos removed from the system (disconnected both side of the intercooler) to try and get a good base map with no boost.

I would say with it tuned perfect it was way better then a na l motor ( stock that is) raise the compression, tune it and you may have a pretty decent power output. But i wouldn't remove the FI intake. with the ITB you have the best components to tune a NA motor. ITB FI is way better then trip carbs IMO

ya but tuning carbs is a pain and all the work of balancing them and they dont have as much throttle response as FI, but i guess if you love carbs and have someone to tune them for free or cheap than its a go, but i would consider all the facters of carbs vs the FI setup and go from there.

;)

hey stonehac you got's a n/a basemap in screenshot form you can fire my way? gonna see if I can correlate with wolf's software to input values.

Shoot me your email in pm and i will email you an excel sheet from my SDS setup back in the day

Hey guys sorry if its been mentioned already BUT why go carbs? if you want NA pull the turbos off make a header and tune it for no boost. I actually ran mine with the turbos removed from the system (disconnected both side of the intercooler) to try and get a good base map with no boost.

I would say with it tuned perfect it was way better then a na l motor ( stock that is) raise the compression, tune it and you may have a pretty decent power output. But i wouldn't remove the FI intake. with the ITB you have the best components to tune a NA motor. ITB FI is way better then trip carbs IMO

yeah stony i mentioned it and i agree with you :D