HybridZ

dash replacement items?

wherezmytofu

i have a nicely cracked dash oh my 73 240z, i found these two items. need some clarification on what they are?

http://www.shop.com/Datsun_240Z_Dash_Pad_Cover-26924203-p!.shtml?trk=1

http://www.dashtops.com/dashboard/autodash.cfm/163

are these replacement dash parts for where its cracked (on top of the 3 gauges) or like those dash protection mats u put over your dash?

They are caps to cover your old and nasty dash. They are installed over your old unit...I believe you need to glue them on so they dont rattle and vibrate. Perhaps someone can confirm......

I am fortunate to have a perfect dash but have seem many on cars. They look fine and are very economical. Im sure many cars on this forum have them installed. I say its better than looking at the old cracked dash.

Ive always thought of covering one of these with Carbon Fiber. I would be a lot easier and cheaper than making a CF dash.

That second link has a full cover that I would think would look better than the top only. I've seen pictures of the dash caps and never cared for that line that you see all the way across the dash, with the cap only, I can only imagine how bad it must look in person.

My dash is cracked too, but I think I'll be building a custom dash anyway.

I went this route

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919

I followed Bruces instructions to the "T" and couldn't believe how nice it came out. I did my repair with the dash still in the car but with the windshield out. Not the best but it was workable.

Here's a couple things I found during my repair.

I drilled tiny holes at the ends of the cracks to check the crack from spreading.

Make sure you remove enough of the black dash material next to the crack. Mine was warped upward. I didn't cut it far enough back and when I started to feather out the filler I broke through immediately.

Make sure you have a thick enough layer of bumper repair over the crack. I sanded it too thin and when I pulled the car out in the sun it cracked again. I would try and leave at least 1/32" thickness over the crack and feather it out 2" or more on either side.

I'm still amazed at how good the dash looks and how easy it was to do. I keep looking at the dash and just can't believe how good it looks.

Derek

If you do the cap, do the full cap. My car had the half on it when I got it and I didn't like it. With the full cap, most people ask if I had it recovered or if it's new.

I pulled my dash out of the car which made it super easy to install, it's been about 3 years since I've done it and there are no spots that have come unglued yet, but it has not really sat in the sun too much either.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know If you can replace/install gauges after you install one of the hard dash caps from MSA? Ive got mine ready to go on but Im not sure If I should have the gauges in or out, or can I down the road buy after market gauges and put them in?