HybridZ

What type of LSD is this?

VinhZXT

Hi All,

What type of LSD do I have here? I open it up and it doesn't look like the normal CLSD as shown in this picture

l28_damage_010.sized.jpg

Here are pictures of my LSD's internal:

2079260_354_full.jpg

2079260_353_full.jpg

2079260_352_full.jpg

Notice the center spool. I can't find anyway to open mine. The 1st picture is from 240ZHoke's write up. My LSD is a 3.7 ratio also and it accepts the regular 280ZXT input shafts. It is not grabbing both wheels. Thanks for any input

Vinh

Looks like a 4 pinion open diff to me. I think some of the later shortnose R200s came with open 4 pinions, but none of the Z31's as far as I know. I haven't seen one apart like this, but I just don't see anything in yours that limits the slip.

This is a regular long nose R200 came out of a Z31. This is a weird open diff than.

I just look at the 3rd post on the sticky. The internal of my R200 looks like the Q45's internal.. I have a Q45 rear in my garage so I will open it up tomorrow to check it out.

Looks like a viscous LSD to me. The viscous unit is shown as item number 38411 on the fiche page of the VLSD version of the Z31. The viscous unit is sealed and the pics supplied by Jon appear to be “non†VLSD diffs.

b10_thumb.jpg

Zcarnut,

Thanks for the confirmation and picture. The next question is why this VLSD accepts the 280ZXT input shafts???? What type of fluid should I use with this LSD for it to work? I put regular gear oil in it and it was whining. Thanks for the info

Also I just read how the VLSD works and I am assuming the CLSD test won't work with this one. I am talking about the test where you spin the wheel then both should be turning the same direction. Thanks

Vinh

After more searching I am 100% positive that this is a VLSD from the 300ZXT SS model. A friend of mine took it to a machine shop and they did something to it to accept the 280ZXT input shafts. Ofcourse without the long input shaft the VLSD won't work properly based on Warren's info. Thanks for the info guys.

V.

After more searching I am 100% positive that this is a VLSD from the 300ZXT SS model. A friend of mine took it to a machine shop and they did something to it to accept the 280ZXT input shafts. Ofcourse without the long input shaft the VLSD won't work properly based on Warren's info. Thanks for the info guys.

V.

I wonder what he had done, the SS VLSD has a larger spline count input stubs compared to the ZXT . The VLSD shaft inputs are larger...

The upper ones are for the R200 3.70 VLSD...notice the top left one and the placement of the circlip groove as well as it's length.

The lower ones are for the R200 3.54 OPEN from an 82 ZXT.

shaftcompare.jpg

Hope that clears it up a little.

P.S. Here is a link with all the VLSD info you'd ever want (for the most part)... CLICK

I wonder what he had done, the SS VLSD has a larger spline count input stubs compared to the ZXT . The VLSD shaft inputs are larger...

Assuming you are talking about the z31 only, then this is incorrect. They both use the 29 spline shaft. The 88ss is just longer to engage the viscous coupling.

Really!? I always HEARD the Z31 SS was a 30 spline... interesting.

If the z31SS was a 30 spline, I wouldn't be screwing around with the Q45 diff, and the swap would be about 100 times easier. All z31 half shafts/input shafts slide into all z31 carriers. All = 29 spline NA/turbo alike, along with VLSD on the shiro special.

The upper ones are for the R200 3.70 VLSD...notice the top left one and the placement of the circlip groove as well as it's length.

The lower ones are for the R200 3.54 OPEN from an 82 ZXT.

shaftcompare.jpg

Hope that clears it up a little.

P.S. Here is a link with all the VLSD info you'd ever want (for the most part)... CLICK

The shafts on the top look identical to the z32 vlsd shafts I have, mine just have a flange between the shaft and the CV.

The shafts on the top look identical to the z32 vlsd shafts I have, mine just have a flange between the shaft and the CV.

They should be damn near identical if you got it out of a normally aspirated z32. They are both 29 spline.