HybridZ

240Z L28ET project

i guess i should clear something up a little also just for the record im a ase certified master tech w 25 yrs experience w a l-1 advanced engine diagnostics cert. also .i build z engines for local z race teams here in town ,so i didnt want you guys to think heres a noob just trying to look like hes a car builder

I can't say how reliable it would be though... One interesting setup I saw a long time ago, was a guy running his fuel at 100 psi!!!!! He was using several stock nissan fuel pumps to supply the extra fuel. (two pumps in series or parallel will supply twice the fuel, or be under half the stress at the same flow)

thats insane fuel pressure im at 44psi at full throttle and about 34 at idle using a mercedes fuel pump

Wow, that's nuts!. So, can you give me a ballpark on how much power I could be making?

-Stock rebuilt block, MLS head gasket and ARP hardware, adjustable cam gear, possibly mild head porting but not likely to happen

-T3/T4 .60 trim turbo, internal wastegate (I think)

-550cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump

-FMIC w/ 3" piping

-diapragm-style BOV, vented to atmosphere

-ported N42 intake manifold, 60mm TB

-custom 3" turbo-back exhaust

-MSII w/ 4 bar map sensor and wideband 02

-DLI w/ LS1 coil packs and....EDIS electronics?

boost set at....I dunno really, some help here would be appreciated.

we did one pertty close to what your are building a couple of yrs a go,we had some pretty intense port work done .the boost controller set at 12 psi (be careful with more boost than this without really good rod prep shot peen and such and forged pistons)the cam was a custom grind from a local cam builder(used a 327 chevy cam profile for their fi motor) it made 320hp at the rear wheels but after a boost controller failure on track it kinda flew apart(28psi at throttle lift)it was quit spectactular i have pics of all the broken parts ; )

You're absolutely right. I realized after I had spent all this money that I'm putting all this high-tech stuff on one dinosaur of a motor. For the money I've spent so far I probably could've had an RB25 or maybe even RB26 swap done and running by now, but the money is spent, and I have to make the best with what I have. I hope in the future to upgrade the restrictive stock intake/exhaust manifolds and open up the headflow as much as possible, but right now I just want to get the damn thing running, tuned properly, and reliable/safe.

At that point I have to balance the suspension, brakes, and safety equipment to match, or rather hopefully exceed the power output. Then I can worry about making more power.

just for sh!ts and giglgles. i can actually get you a twin turbo manifold. Trust / Greddy made one back in the days and i can still get my hands on it. clearance might be an issue since we hare LHD. but i tell you now its not gonna be cheap.

Guest rps13 sr
just for sh!ts and giglgles. i can actually get you a twin turbo manifold. Trust / Greddy made one back in the days and i can still get my hands on it. clearance might be an issue since we hare LHD. but i tell you now its not gonna be cheap.

just how much?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noted you looked like you were having a lot of fun degreasing everything. Well you'd have to be careful with it as it's flamable, but I've used brake parts cleaner to degrease things and it works REALLY well, dries out the greasy dirt, and makes it easy to wash off with a little soap or just wipe away.

I was lad you got the engine stand, that helps HUGE amounts, and it's safer, my uncle dislocated a shoulder while trying to catch an engine that was falling off his bench. A stand makes it so much easier, especially if you're going to rebuild...

Phar

You're absolutely right. I realized after I had spent all this money that I'm putting all this high-tech stuff on one dinosaur of a motor. For the money I've spent so far I probably could've had an RB25 or maybe even RB26 swap done and running by now, but the money is spent, and I have to make the best with what I have. I hope in the future to upgrade the restrictive stock intake/exhaust manifolds and open up the headflow as much as possible, but right now I just want to get the damn thing running, tuned properly, and reliable/safe.

At that point I have to balance the suspension, brakes, and safety equipment to match, or rather hopefully exceed the power output. Then I can worry about making more power.

There are only a few parts that look to be L-series specific, like the intake, TB adaptor, fuel rail and oil pan, everything else could be used by an RB, SBC, SR, Yugo engine, etc. So I wouldn't look at it as wasted on this engine, just tested for the next. :mrgreen:

I noted you looked like you were having a lot of fun degreasing everything. Well you'd have to be careful with it as it's flamable, but I've used brake parts cleaner to degrease things and it works REALLY well, dries out the greasy dirt, and makes it easy to wash off with a little soap or just wipe away.

Phar

Yeah, I started using brake parts cleaner but I think I'm going for a full rebuild in which case the block will get hot tanked.

There are only a few parts that look to be L-series specific, like the intake, TB adaptor, fuel rail and oil pan, everything else could be used by an RB, SBC, SR, Yugo engine, etc. So I wouldn't look at it as wasted on this engine, just tested for the next. :mrgreen:

Well, this is true. I think after I've had the current setup running for a while and I plan to upgrade, I'll take more time (wayyy more time) to decide which is better; to further upgrade the L28ET or swap in an RB25/6. After seeing TimZ's 600+whp L30ET, I have become a believer :)

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I have nothing to report as far as updates. My MR2 crapped the bed so I had to order a new engine for it... At least now I'll have ~170whp instead of ~98whp :) Next thing for the Z is finding storage for winter and paying for shipping on the Z32 tranny, then re-wiring the chassis.

okay, that's a bummer. What engine are you replacing it with? 170HP isn't bad in an MR2, how would one work in a Z? hehe. I know, it's not particularly suited to a S30, but it's good to know what preformance engines are around. what will your new engine run about, if you wouldn't mind....

Phar