HybridZ

240Z L28ET project

so much that I'll probably never afford it along with the two turbos, wastegates, and downpipes required for it :(

I had originally wanted to try my hand at making a Twin Turbo L28/30/31 whatever but after seeing what could be done with a SINGLE turbo, that fantasy sort of died off, the amount of money, hours and headaches required to get all that ♥♥♥♥ stuffed in the engine, might be more trouble then its worth, I mean, sure it would be awesome to turn around and say "I have a Twin Turbo L" but its money that could be spent on the prexisting engine to make it some 600+ monster like most enthusiasts.

Shame about the MR2, hopefully the new engine will give it a nice new burst of life, what caused the engine to crap out?

• 3 weeks later...

I am replacing the old 4AGE "bluetop" (112bhp, 97lb/ft) with a 4AGZE supercharged from a JDM Levin. It's a really nice 16v 1.6L that has 8.9:1 compression, forged pistons, 7-ribbed block, oil-squirters for the pistons, and has a MAP sensor and distributor-less ignition. It makes 170bhp and 155lb/ft stock, but I'll be modifying it with a Cometic 1mm MLS HG, ARP studs, header, 2.5" exhaust, NST 180mm crank pulley, HKS 264deg. cams, Fidanza cam gears, Fidanza flywheel w/ ARP bolts, and a SPEC stage II clutch. She's gonna scream!!!

I've spent $1450 on the engine including shipping, plus about $3,000 worth (cams, cam gears I got for free, clutch and flywheel I bought years ago and stole for my new project) in the aforementioned mods. It adds up fast. I just can't wait to get it done so I can have a car again and get back to my real project!!!

Ah the good ole 4AG! I am pretty certain I was one of the first guys to put a 4AGZE in a Corolla GT-S, 10years ago! I got mine from a donor crashed US MR2 SC and then blew that up racing a Roush Mustang, then I went to an AE92 4AGZE with the higher compression.

The 4AGZE is a good engine, but I much prefer the 4AG turbocharged, I eventually went to a 20V turbo, 280whp without breaking a sweat.

Some pics from the old day for you:

From 1998:

13821634.jpg

8592629.jpg

then...:

89877303.jpg

89873270.jpg

Good luck!!!

Yasin

• 1 month later...

Not much to report. I read all I ever want to read about sequential fuel injection, and how to make my coil-on-plug setup actually work (shoulda done that before just blindly buying it, but it's OK). I desperately need to find a garage to store and work on the car, because I'm moving soon. I'm also looking up options for standalone; I was hoping to trade someone for a Microtech LT-8, but that fell through, so I'm leaning back towards megasquirt.

I finally took a (crappy) pic of the engine bay, and today I removed the fuel tank and replaced my broken tail light.

Picture029.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Frame is pretty solid. There are a couple small holes near the front but nothing major. I hope to get at least 300whp from the L28ET but we'll see.

looks excellent man, I play on doing this in the near future.

hows the frame on her?

and how much do ya plan on getting out of the L28ET?

• 4 months later...

Well it looks like my project will be delayed even longer now because Justin Hodges (280ZForce) scammed me out of $1,395. He was supposed to send me a Z32 transmission, bellhousing adapter, custom driveshaft, short shifter, and shift knob, but instead decided to take the money and, well, not run? Glad to see they're not allowing him to sell anything here anymore...

Well it looks like my project will be delayed even longer now because Justin Hodges (280ZForce) scammed me out of $1,395. He was supposed to send me a Z32 transmission, bellhousing adapter, custom driveshaft, short shifter, and shift knob, but instead decided to take the money and, well, not run? Glad to see they're not allowing him to sell anything here anymore...

Scum. I have been scammed as well, so I know how you feel.

I almost did the turbo route, and I am in the middle of a LT1 build, so I am interested in your build.

As of such, if you wish to give me what information you have on him I can see what info on him I can get for you. (Line of work and hobbies makes it easier for me to find out info on people) For some reason people tend to ship you your stuff when you start calling them at 6 am every morning :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The parts are in the mail! I should be picking them up in a week or so. I'm really glad that was cleared up, and I take back what I said. Justin's a good guy, he just had some tough s**t to deal with and it got delayed.

hey iknoe this post is old but where did u get your new datsun logos???

thanks

They actually came with the car, but they were NIB from Nissan. I sold them because I'm going with Fairlady Z emblems instead.

• 1 month later...