HybridZ

Holy Grail Teaser

Xnke

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it does say it was the first run of the engine, so that number probably climbed upwards.

But dang, I want to see someone make an aluminum L engine now....

Actually, if we can get someone in the states to make an aluminum L series block, I would most likely be down for one :D

ye GODS, what a pipe dream.....:icon53:

nothing is a pipe dream given enough money. If enough people were fim for buying them, we could probably get some place to make them. Of course, the issue is getting people to drop money on something that not only isn't in stock, but not even had the mold/whatever for it made yet.

You guys get enough confirmed buyers, I'll pattern and mold them. I've done the L24 in miniature, surely i can scale the thing up. It's not like an L series block to section is hard to find.

Only thing i can't do is guarantee the timeline right now...and you guys who want one are gonna have to come down to help me with the pour...that large of a pour is gonna be a real pain...

I'd have to calculate the volume of the block, the cost of the cast iron sleeves, plus machine time to make it usable. It took DMD 5 years to go from sectioned iron block to running aluminum engine, and it took me 10 months to go from "close 'nuff" drawings to a cast iron miniature block.

Even then, it's just a casting, we'd have to find a place to get it machined, too.

probably 300-500$ for the unmachined block casting. I dunno, hell, it'd be 8-10 months before I could get the main block pattern made, and probably a month for each of the core boxes..1.5 years to the first casting, if it wern't for my Z car restoration being in progress...indefinite at the moment.

Anyone with Solidworks and an abundance of L blocks could be a real big help, though. Good 2d prints are a must, but excellent 3d prints could speed things up a lot.

Seems to me that there would be way more interest in making a sweet crossflow head to fit the stock block,even with an aluminum block your only picking up weight points and maybe a couple power points.

If it came down to a DOHC head or an aluminum block, I would pick the DOHC. While less engine weight is always a good thing, better airflow beats that out in my book.

Especially if it was made suitable for both turbo and NA applications.

IIRC, didn't someone take a couple of KA24 head, chop them up, and then bolt them all together? If we could get something like that as a single unit, that would be awesome. Especially if the intake side could take all the normal L series stuff (Webers, Mikunis, etc).

Anyone with Solidworks and an abundance of L blocks could be a real big help, though.

Sounds like me.

I'd think that the block should be made at the height of an L20B or LD28 to have better rod/stroke ratio but still be able to use the L20B/LD28 timing gear.

I have a V07 block, a N42 block, and a P30 block and I have my own copy of solidworks.

Sounds like me.

I'd think that the block should be made at the height of an L20B or LD28 to have better rod/stroke ratio but still be able to use the L20B/LD28 timing gear.

Well, I don't know jack s**t about making engine blocks, but is there any reason you couldn't make both an L28 and LD28? It seems to me that while there would be some people that want the LD28 block, more people would want to go with something that is dimensionally the same as what they already have, so that they don't have to think as much when they start using it.

Well, I don't know jack s**t about making engine blocks, but is there any reason you couldn't make both an L28 and LD28? It seems to me that while there would be some people that want the LD28 block, more people would want to go with something that is dimensionally the same as what they already have, so that they don't have to think as much when they start using it.

You could do an L28 block...

I'd make a hybrid of the two and make some improvements while I was at it.

If anyone comes to the point of casting a L block why not just work it over to use an RB26DETT head? Just deal with the timing belt and head oiling issues...

Designing and building such an engine would be a one time thing with under 10 blocks made most likely. There just isn't any market to produce these.

Also a new cranksaft would be a good idea if you are going all out.

I'd want at least a 3.5 liter if I was going to spend the $$,$$$ to build an all-aluminum L6.

A 3.5 liter is definitely possible (aluminum block or LD block...) if one has the will and money power to put it together.

OTM

Well, the DOHC problem could be solved, I use Solidworks. (hint, hint.) I guess I'll focus on that, because I actually currently have the equipment to cast those.

A pour that size is easily handled by one person, and with the current molding abilities around here, completely doable once the patterns and core boxes are made up. If we can get some of the cylinder head gurus in on this, I'm up for patterning and casting them. Complexity be damned, i can manage that with time.

Just to give you guy's an idea of costs I would charge at least 15,000 for a set of patterns of this complexity. I get $1000.00 for a fairly simple double sided pattern that fits in a 13" x 18" box so if you do a little math the price could get astronomical for such a limited run. I just looked at the site again and saw that he had 1500 hours in the patterns and I'm not surprised. Making a pattern that looks like a block on the outside is relatively simple. Making one that actually works is a whole nuther ball game.

I'm not trying to throw a bucket of cold water here but just trying to give you guy's something to think about.

Look at how long it's taken me to get my manifold to the point of a single raw casting.

Derek