HybridZ

rb torque

ridin_Z_alb

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you've factored in that if you want to beat corvettes (C6 Z06, I assume) with all 600 ftlbs of torque you plan to pull, you're gonna be paying close to what you can probably find a C5 Z06 used for. And it will probably still have a dealer warranty of some sort. All of which you could do with maybe 350 to 400 hp in the same car with some moderately lightweight replacement parts.

Why the high numbers for? Are you prepared for that kind of work? I find it unnecessary

mostly i was looking for a good balenced setup good torque to get off the line quick, and keep me ahead the rest of the way and to make the v8 guys have to explain to all their buddies why they lost to a import :lol:

I've raced in Alb alot and never lost to an import. Oh, but I have a v8.

I hope you've factored in that if you want to beat corvettes (C6 Z06, I assume) with all 600 ftlbs of torque you plan to pull, you're gonna be paying close to what you can probably find a C5 Z06 used for. And it will probably still have a dealer warranty of some sort. All of which you could do with maybe 350 to 400 hp in the same car with some moderately lightweight replacement parts.

Why the high numbers for? Are you prepared for that kind of work? I find it unnecessary

no reason i was just using thoughs numbers as examples, i was just saying i don't see a lot of torque numbers matching horsepower numbers.

If you want a setup with lots of torque, RB is not the way to go.

^ And that's comming from a guy with a RB25... You should heed his advice.

I wouldn't call 550lbs of torque weak, nor would i call an RB weak.

But now I have to go off on my torque vs hp rant, so you can just ignore me if you've heard me do this before...

Torque, and HP are the same thing. You can take a torque number, and as long as you know the RPM you know how much HP there is.

When someone wants a "torque monster" what they want is a motor with low rpm HP. I turbo motor can make huge torque, it just won't be in the lower rev range. If you want a turbo motor to have a nice flat torque curve then you need a turbo that will spool faster, which usually means less peak HP.

No, if you have a 4 cylinder that only has half as much peak torque as HP (not all that uncommen, IE F20C) then you need higher gearing than a comparable HP low rev motor (which will produce more torque in case you didn't figure that one out yet).

I'd even say this:

Two 400hp motors, both naturally aspirated, both with completely flat torque curves, one that makes peak power at 9krpm, and one that makes peak power at 3k will both put down the same exact quarter mile times in the same chassis, with optimal gearing for their rev range.

Does that make sense?

Don't hunt for torque or HP levels/goals. Shoot for torque/hp curve. It's by far the most important factor for what you're looking for. It's also a huge factor in how streetable the motor is. Turbo cars under extreme levels of boost dyno like on/off buttons, which go down the quarter mile extremely fast because they can stay on the entire time. NA motors make much more "wide use" power curves, but can be expensive to build if you're not willing to add lots of displacement.

So my conclusion:

If you're really trying to stay away from american motors (which to me it seems obvious you are) I'd say find the largest disacement japanses motor you can find within your price range.

And if you can swallow your pride, put a V8 in it.

If you really want to beat STOCK american muscle, you won't really need much more than 300hp to beat most out there. Closer to 500 and you've got pretty much anyone beat. So based out of a basic assumption that most motors can get around 80-100hp per liter NA with a bit of work you can calculate that you want a motor between 5-6.25 liters to smoke everyone out there and have a nice huge torque curve still.

Motors that would get to over the 350hp mark that fit in a Z (just off the top of my head, there's probably hundreds honestly)

Small/Big Block Chevy

Small Block Ford (someone's done a BBF before right?)

Small/Big Block Mopar

LSX

VH45

VK56

1UZFE

Ford Mod Motor

As I said, the list could go on.

Here's a small list of turbo motors that can make over 350hp with relatively large torque curves.

RB25ET RB30ETT

1JZ 2JZ

SR20ET

L28ET

KA24ET (never turbo'ed stock obviously)

VG30ET

VG30DETT

Ford Essex V6

Buick V6

The list here could go on quite a ways as well.

Judging by his signature I think he has a 280Z, so he'd need closer to 420hp for that time according to that calculator, though if the car is on any sort of a diet that number changes quite a bit.

But that's still not even close to the numbers he's talking about...

Judging by his signature I think he has a 280Z, so he'd need closer to 420hp for that time according to that calculator, though if the car is on any sort of a diet that number changes quite a bit.

But that's still not even close to the numbers he's talking about...

Which is one of the reasons i want to do a 1jz s30 swap..stock 1jz power will get 12's in a 240z...the other reason being these are kick a** cars!!:mparty:

i bet with 375WHP and 2400 lbs a S30 will run faster then a 10.8

I'd say flat 11.

Tire size/compound is not accounted for, as well as ambient air temperature and track temp.

a STOCK RB26 with the boost at about 11psi is what got stony to 11.2 no?

IMHO a nice cruiser to kick vette and viper ass definately does not need 550 tq, nevermind 700.

ill say this once more, those numbers were FAKE made up numbers off to give an example of hp. tq. differences with import engines in general. 550 ft. lbs isn't weak but what good is a 1 bagillion million hp car if it can't push numbers like that in tq. does it help trap speed or something? i'm all for learning new things.

btw numbers i was looking for were more in the 450 range for both hp and tq. if that clarifys anything. thanks for all the help guys keep'em coming

its a 77 280z btw weight on the door says 2700 lbs.

A good tuning with the right turbos and fuel system upgrades should give you about 500whp with 400wtq on a RB26. I think that's enough for 10s on a Z that you can also drive on the street. I would think that an RB like this would pull harder on the top end than a V8 with 450whp/450wtq, so their 1/4 mile times should be about the same.

ill say this once more, those numbers were FAKE made up numbers off to give an example of hp. tq. differences with import engines in general. 550 ft. lbs isn't weak but what good is a 1 bagillion million hp car if it can't push numbers like that in tq. does it help trap speed or something? i'm all for learning new things.

btw numbers i was looking for were more in the 450 range for both hp and tq. if that clarifys anything. thanks for all the help guys keep'em coming

its a 77 280z btw weight on the door says 2700 lbs.

Wow.... you didn't read my post earlier at all... Thanks.

I'll say it again, if you had 1 bagillion million (as you put it) HP and only 10 torque it would be at the realm of billions of RPM.

300hp is 300hp, no matter how much torque you have, PERIOD.

Now, HP CURVE is another story. Turbo cars have less off the line HP because of lack of low RPM Torque. Please learn what torque really means before telling us how much you want. I tried to teach you something but you flat out ignored it. If it didn't make sense, let me know, I'll be glad to find you some analogies.

sorry missed it hold on i gotta read it...

yeah it makes some sense i don't know a lot of things about cars and engines tuning and stuff but i'm pretty sure (correct me if im wrong) how hard a engine can turn driveshaft,diff,tires and horsepower is how fast it possibly could go. so if that is true than how is horsepower and torque the same? sorry that just doesn't add up for me. The rest of it pretty much makes sense.